Is there any software (or other solution) to locate original RAW files for edited JPEGs and copy?

Started 6 months ago | Questions
itfcsam
itfcsam Junior Member • Posts: 44
Is there any software (or other solution) to locate original RAW files for edited JPEGs and copy?

Hello all,

I am basically wondering if there is software which will look through a folder of JPEGs, and locate its original RAW file and move this RAW file to the JPEG folder (or a selected folder).

Is this possible to do?

Some context behind this; So, I've used Lightroom for a good few years. I tend copy my RAW files across to my laptop, from camera to a year/month/date folder structure, and then import the copied RAW into Lightroom.

I do my processing, as and when required, and export a few JPEGs to a 'edits' folded within the original folder. Sometimes I was/am good with culling unused RAW files but not always.

I've then copied these folders (RAWs and the secondary Edits folder with JPEGs) to various portable hard drives over the years. I then clear off the laptop to make space for my future files etc.

For the last 4 years or so, I've also created a folder for my 'best' jpegs within these various 'edits' folders through the months and years.

I keep this folder on my laptop for quick access to my favourite JPEGs.

I now want to find the RAW files to all these JPEGs and catalogue these separately as well.

Is there a software which can look at these favourite JPEGs (812 in number), and search for its original RAW file, across my various portable hard drives (obviously when connected)? And then, copy/move these RAW files back the laptop or an additional location?

Hope this explains what I'm looking to do.

I've been trawling through the internet and come across applications such as Photo Mechanic and ACDsee but not sure these have the search and copy/move function.

Many thanks in advance.

Sam

 itfcsam's gear list:itfcsam's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony SLT-A37 Sony a99 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
LynniePad
LynniePad Veteran Member • Posts: 3,676
Re: software (or other solution) to locate original RAW files for edited JPEGs and copy?
1

itfcsam wrote:

Hello all,

I am basically wondering if there is software which will look through a folder of JPEGs, and locate its original RAW file and move this RAW file to the JPEG folder (or a selected folder).

Is this possible to do?

Some context behind this; So, I've used Lightroom for a good few years. I tend copy my RAW files across to my laptop, from camera to a year/month/date folder structure, and then import the copied RAW into Lightroom.

I do my processing, as and when required, and export a few JPEGs to a 'edits' folded within the original folder. Sometimes I was/am good with culling unused RAW files but not always.

I've then copied these folders (RAWs and the secondary Edits folder with JPEGs) to various portable hard drives over the years. I then clear off the laptop to make space for my future files etc.

For the last 4 years or so, I've also created a folder for my 'best' jpegs within these various 'edits' folders through the months and years.

I keep this folder on my laptop for quick access to my favourite JPEGs.

I now want to find the RAW files to all these JPEGs and catalogue these separately as well.

Is there a software which can look at these favourite JPEGs (812 in number), and search for its original RAW file, across my various portable hard drives (obviously when connected)? And then, copy/move these RAW files back the laptop or an additional location?

Hope this explains what I'm looking to do.

I've been trawling through the internet and come across applications such as Photo Mechanic and ACDsee but not sure these have the search and copy/move function.

Many thanks in advance.

Sounds like a real mess. I don’t favour the year\month\date scheme; I’ve always saved in named folders such as…

  • Italy 2015
  • Sophie Graduation
  • Canada 2019

Each with appropriate sub-folders, including \raw, if needed.

With only 812 files, you are probably best advised to search manually. During your labours, you’ll be likely to find groups of files, and that will speed up the process.

kelpdiver Veteran Member • Posts: 5,391
Re: Is there any softwareto locate original RAW files

Did you rename the files, or is it Mybest111.jpg and Mybest111.CR2?   This scenario is the easiest to do a find and copy routine.

Or are you looking for something very intelligent that will decode the raw and find jpegs that are a strong match?   That would be more difficult.

You have 812 "good" jpegs. How many RAWs are we talking about?

Is the EXIF info still intact on the jpeg? Even if the names have changes, the datestamp for when the photo was taken can be used to match up files.    In a flat dir, you could just sort by this argument, or you could make a temp folder with the 812 jpegs and all raws and have lightroom catalog them, sort by the field.  They will either appear together as one, or next to each other with very similar looking thumbnails.

How much raw we're talking about determines is this is plausible route, or if you need to go the manual route.   The power tools answers would involve command line or potentially smart GUI search utils that could return all images matching a given date.

Jim B (MSP) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,781
Re: Is there any software ....

itfcsam wrote:

...

Is there a software which can look at these favourite JPEGs (812 in number), and search for its original RAW file, across my various portable hard drives (obviously when connected)? And then, copy/move these RAW files back the laptop or an additional location?

....

Sam

Your Lightroom will be able to do this, though just one at a time. 812 files is not so bad.

First I will assume that the name of the raw is very similar to that of the raw

For any given jpeg, copy the name, do a find by text (or filename) to locate the raw file, then click on the raw and "go to folder in the library". Then set up an export function to copy the raw to your new folder. If you want to "move it", click on the raw photo to select it and drag it to your new folder. All bets are off if you have renamed the jpegs so they don't contain the basic raw file name.

-- hide signature --

Jim
"It's all about the light"

 Jim B (MSP)'s gear list:Jim B (MSP)'s gear list
Canon EOS 90D
Dper2016 Regular Member • Posts: 239
Re: locate original RAW files for edited JPEGs and copy?

As mentioned by Kelpdiver- If the JPGs EXIF data contains the original camera capture date, then using Lightroom-Classic:

1) Import ALL files (raws and JPGs) to the LrC catalog.

2) Select 'All Photographs'

3) Sort by Capture Date

4) Look for duplicates visually, or use a plugin to find duplicates (by capture date).

DUPLICATE FINDER Teekesselchen: Home

itfcsam
OP itfcsam Junior Member • Posts: 44
Re: software (or other solution) to locate original RAW files for edited JPEGs and copy?

LynniePad wrote:

itfcsam wrote:

Hello all,

I am basically wondering if there is software which will look through a folder of JPEGs, and locate its original RAW file and move this RAW file to the JPEG folder (or a selected folder).

Is this possible to do?

Some context behind this; So, I've used Lightroom for a good few years. I tend copy my RAW files across to my laptop, from camera to a year/month/date folder structure, and then import the copied RAW into Lightroom.

I do my processing, as and when required, and export a few JPEGs to a 'edits' folded within the original folder. Sometimes I was/am good with culling unused RAW files but not always.

I've then copied these folders (RAWs and the secondary Edits folder with JPEGs) to various portable hard drives over the years. I then clear off the laptop to make space for my future files etc.

For the last 4 years or so, I've also created a folder for my 'best' jpegs within these various 'edits' folders through the months and years.

I keep this folder on my laptop for quick access to my favourite JPEGs.

I now want to find the RAW files to all these JPEGs and catalogue these separately as well.

Is there a software which can look at these favourite JPEGs (812 in number), and search for its original RAW file, across my various portable hard drives (obviously when connected)? And then, copy/move these RAW files back the laptop or an additional location?

Hope this explains what I'm looking to do.

I've been trawling through the internet and come across applications such as Photo Mechanic and ACDsee but not sure these have the search and copy/move function.

Many thanks in advance.

Sounds like a real mess. I don’t favour the year\month\date scheme; I’ve always saved in named folders such as…

  • Italy 2015
  • Sophie Graduation
  • Canada 2019

Each with appropriate sub-folders, including \raw, if needed.

With only 812 files, you are probably best advised to search manually. During your labours, you’ll be likely to find groups of files, and that will speed up the process.

Thanks for your feedback. Yeah at the time I was wanting to order photos to when taken etc and have just stuck by that. But going through all the folders is a pain.

Yeah manual may well be for the best

 itfcsam's gear list:itfcsam's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony SLT-A37 Sony a99 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +4 more
itfcsam
OP itfcsam Junior Member • Posts: 44
Re: Is there any softwareto locate original RAW files

kelpdiver wrote:

Did you rename the files, or is it Mybest111.jpg and Mybest111.CR2? This scenario is the easiest to do a find and copy routine.

Or are you looking for something very intelligent that will decode the raw and find jpegs that are a strong match? That would be more difficult.

You have 812 "good" jpegs. How many RAWs are we talking about?

Is the EXIF info still intact on the jpeg? Even if the names have changes, the datestamp for when the photo was taken can be used to match up files. In a flat dir, you could just sort by this argument, or you could make a temp folder with the 812 jpegs and all raws and have lightroom catalog them, sort by the field. They will either appear together as one, or next to each other with very similar looking thumbnails.

How much raw we're talking about determines is this is plausible route, or if you need to go the manual route. The power tools answers would involve command line or potentially smart GUI search utils that could return all images matching a given date.

I've not renamed the files. They're just the photo name off the camera. So like DSC008331 or something along those lines.

Ideally something which would look at the file name and some of the file data such as time taken and find a RAW with the matching spec.

That lightroom shout is actually a great idea. Not sure why I didn't think of that. Just would need to grab all the RAW files from many different folders.

I would guess maybe 20-30 times more RAWs than Jpegs. Sometimes more if I've done a night of astro for instance but sometimes much less. So maybe 25,000 RAW files but purely a guess.

 itfcsam's gear list:itfcsam's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony SLT-A37 Sony a99 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +4 more
itfcsam
OP itfcsam Junior Member • Posts: 44
Re: Is there any software ....

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

itfcsam wrote:

...

Is there a software which can look at these favourite JPEGs (812 in number), and search for its original RAW file, across my various portable hard drives (obviously when connected)? And then, copy/move these RAW files back the laptop or an additional location?

....

Sam

Your Lightroom will be able to do this, though just one at a time. 812 files is not so bad.

First I will assume that the name of the raw is very similar to that of the raw

For any given jpeg, copy the name, do a find by text (or filename) to locate the raw file, then click on the raw and "go to folder in the library". Then set up an export function to copy the raw to your new folder. If you want to "move it", click on the raw photo to select it and drag it to your new folder. All bets are off if you have renamed the jpegs so they don't contain the basic raw file name.

Thanks Jim. I forget about the lightroom functionality sometimes. Sill have a look at this. File names will be the same.

 itfcsam's gear list:itfcsam's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony SLT-A37 Sony a99 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +4 more
itfcsam
OP itfcsam Junior Member • Posts: 44
Re: locate original RAW files for edited JPEGs and copy?

Dper2016 wrote:

As mentioned by Kelpdiver- If the JPGs EXIF data contains the original camera capture date, then using Lightroom-Classic:

1) Import ALL files (raws and JPGs) to the LrC catalog.

2) Select 'All Photographs'

3) Sort by Capture Date

4) Look for duplicates visually, or use a plugin to find duplicates (by capture date).

DUPLICATE FINDER Teekesselchen: Home

Thankyou Dper2016

 itfcsam's gear list:itfcsam's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony SLT-A37 Sony a99 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +4 more
kelpdiver Veteran Member • Posts: 5,391
Re: Is there any softwareto locate original RAW files

itfcsam wrote:

I've not renamed the files. They're just the photo name off the camera. So like DSC008331 or something along those lines.

If you haven't renamed the files, then the potential for scripted solutions using power shell or cygwin becomes a lot easier.

create text file "goodlist" with list of 862 desired images.  No .jpg extension.

for jpegs in `cat goodlist`

do

find / -name "$jpegs.CR2" -exec cp {} /home/me/goodraws \;

done

This searches the entire directory structure (what ever drive you're on) for filename.CR2, then copies it to goodraws dir in your homedirectory.  Create it first.    You can rerun for each drive letter.

CR2 is for Canon.   Use suitable raw extension for your needs.   This is case sensitive on unix, possibly not in windows space.

itfcsam
OP itfcsam Junior Member • Posts: 44
Re: Is there any softwareto locate original RAW files

kelpdiver wrote:

itfcsam wrote:

I've not renamed the files. They're just the photo name off the camera. So like DSC008331 or something along those lines.

If you haven't renamed the files, then the potential for scripted solutions using power shell or cygwin becomes a lot easier.

create text file "goodlist" with list of 862 desired images. No .jpg extension.

for jpegs in `cat goodlist`

do

find / -name "$jpegs.CR2" -exec cp {} /home/me/goodraws \;

done

This searches the entire directory structure (what ever drive you're on) for filename.CR2, then copies it to goodraws dir in your homedirectory. Create it first. You can rerun for each drive letter.

CR2 is for Canon. Use suitable raw extension for your needs. This is case sensitive on unix, possibly not in windows space.

Thankyou Kelpdiver.

Have been having a play but I'm not too clued up on scripts and things so have created the text file with the filenames. 
Have tried the script, with my own directory, and .ARW for my Sony RAWs but keep getting errors. Probably something simple.

 itfcsam's gear list:itfcsam's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony SLT-A37 Sony a99 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +4 more
kelpdiver Veteran Member • Posts: 5,391
Re: Is there any softwareto locate original RAW files

the above was a unix bash specific solution.   It may work if you install cygwin and run bash.     Treat it more as a pattern to mock.

Power shell is a different beast- I have no experience with it.

PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 19,390
Another way

You need both a foldering and naming scheme.

Once you get one, you could use a tool like DownloaderPro (in eval mode) to not only find your files, but rename and move them into a coherent structure.   Your RAW files would end up next to identically named (except extension) JPG files.

I did this years ago to take tens of thousands of DSCxxxxxx images and put them into order.  In my case the folder structure looks like this:

year/event/dailyfiles such as 2022/Bonaire/060622

I've shot several times with two cameras of the same model, and my system also discriminates those files, renaming them so they don't conflict.

My naming system is:

yymmdd-hhmmss-subsecond-cameramodel.extension.

The subsecond discriminates files when you shoot more than 1 frame per second.

The date-based name sorts itself but never conflicts with another file.

There are many naming schemes.  All have issues.  Pick one and stick with it.

With DownloaderPro, you can point it to a folder and have it search all subfolders.  This is how you find your images.   Then, renamed and copied images will go into the folder structure you want, and it will create those folders automatically.   If you don't like the results, delete and try again.  Once you have a small set of folders done, just point DownloaderPro to the whole drive and let it search everything.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"I miss the days when I was nostalgic."

 PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +45 more
itfcsam
OP itfcsam Junior Member • Posts: 44
Re: locate original RAW files for edited JPEGs and copy?
1

Dper2016 wrote:

As mentioned by Kelpdiver- If the JPGs EXIF data contains the original camera capture date, then using Lightroom-Classic:

1) Import ALL files (raws and JPGs) to the LrC catalog.

2) Select 'All Photographs'

3) Sort by Capture Date

4) Look for duplicates visually, or use a plugin to find duplicates (by capture date).

DUPLICATE FINDER Teekesselchen: Home

The Teekesselchen Duplicate finder is great so far. Tested it on a few and it seems to be doing a great job.

Thanks again for your suggestion

 itfcsam's gear list:itfcsam's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony SLT-A37 Sony a99 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +4 more
itfcsam
OP itfcsam Junior Member • Posts: 44
Re: Another way
1

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

You need both a foldering and naming scheme.

Once you get one, you could use a tool like DownloaderPro (in eval mode) to not only find your files, but rename and move them into a coherent structure. Your RAW files would end up next to identically named (except extension) JPG files.

I did this years ago to take tens of thousands of DSCxxxxxx images and put them into order. In my case the folder structure looks like this:

year/event/dailyfiles such as 2022/Bonaire/060622

I've shot several times with two cameras of the same model, and my system also discriminates those files, renaming them so they don't conflict.

My naming system is:

yymmdd-hhmmss-subsecond-cameramodel.extension.

The subsecond discriminates files when you shoot more than 1 frame per second.

The date-based name sorts itself but never conflicts with another file.

There are many naming schemes. All have issues. Pick one and stick with it.

With DownloaderPro, you can point it to a folder and have it search all subfolders. This is how you find your images. Then, renamed and copied images will go into the folder structure you want, and it will create those folders automatically. If you don't like the results, delete and try again. Once you have a small set of folders done, just point DownloaderPro to the whole drive and let it search everything.

Thankyou for your help PHXAZCRAIG

 itfcsam's gear list:itfcsam's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony SLT-A37 Sony a99 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads