Are there any crash-recovery measures for Camera RAW?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,719
Are there any crash-recovery measures for Camera RAW?

So at work, I usually use ACR as a quick means to get my photos directly into photoshop (as i don't usually have the time or want to put in the effort of dealing with LR Classic).

My question is regarding ACR and recovery of edits if ACR crashes or closes unexpectedly.  I know that LR Classic writes the edits to the database as you do them, and you can set it to write the changes to an XMP file as well (if you're working with a RAW File) but does ACR have some means of recovery after a crash, even if it means having to redo the last few steps of say a longer edit session (that might include quite a few other edits)?

So far, the best thing I can think of to protect against this is to click "Done" periodically and let ACR save the changes to an XMP file, and then re-open and continue working.  Would be nice if it had some sort of edit cache that it could save and that could be recovered if it crashed, even if it wrote a temporary XMP file that would be then removed when you clicked Open, Cancel or Done (if you clicked Done, all of your edits would be saved to a regular XMP file and the temporary XMP file would then be deleted).

-- hide signature --

NOTE: If I don't reply to a direct comment in the forums, it's likely I unsubscribed from the thread/article..

 sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +10 more
MoreCowbell Contributing Member • Posts: 528
Re: Are there any crash-recovery measures for Camera RAW?

While Photoshop can autosave occasionally, I don't recall ever having seen such an option strictly for ACR.

knickerhawk Veteran Member • Posts: 7,460
Re: Are there any crash-recovery measures for Camera RAW?

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

So at work, I usually use ACR as a quick means to get my photos directly into photoshop (as i don't usually have the time or want to put in the effort of dealing with LR Classic).

My question is regarding ACR and recovery of edits if ACR crashes or closes unexpectedly. I know that LR Classic writes the edits to the database as you do them, and you can set it to write the changes to an XMP file as well (if you're working with a RAW File) but does ACR have some means of recovery after a crash, even if it means having to redo the last few steps of say a longer edit session (that might include quite a few other edits)?

So far, the best thing I can think of to protect against this is to click "Done" periodically and let ACR save the changes to an XMP file, and then re-open and continue working. Would be nice if it had some sort of edit cache that it could save and that could be recovered if it crashed, even if it wrote a temporary XMP file that would be then removed when you clicked Open, Cancel or Done (if you clicked Done, all of your edits would be saved to a regular XMP file and the temporary XMP file would then be deleted).

If you periodically do an "Export Settings to XMP" in the Settings menu that should survive a crash. You can also create snapshots and update specific ones during the course of your ACR edit session, but that involves a little more work to name the snapshot. I haven't confirmed but I'd assume that snapshots also survive crashes. I'm not aware of any way to automate a save process during an ACR session. The general philosophy around ACR/PS has always been to do the basic raw conversion stuff in ACR to create a fairly neutral starting point for the substantive edits in PS, where there's a lot more available. Of course, the functional division between what you can (should?) do in ACR vs. PS has been eroded over the years as ACR has become more feature rich. It's somewhat of a workflow preference thing, but remember that most of the newer edit capabilities built into ACR don't have to be applied during the initial conversion step. You can always go back into ACR  (as a filter) later and utilize these RGB edit features with  really no downside and several potential functional advantages (mainly related to layers).

MoreCowbell Contributing Member • Posts: 528
Re: Are there any crash-recovery measures for Camera RAW?

knickerhawk wrote:

remember that most of the newer edit capabilities built into ACR don't have to be applied during the initial conversion step. You can always go back into ACR (as a filter) later and utilize these RGB edit features with really no downside and several potential functional advantages (mainly related to layers).

I had never considered this and find it interesting.  While I do use ACR as a filter when working in Photoshop I never considered if this would make the Photoshop autosave available.  Sounds like it probably does and I think you may have solved the OP's question.

knickerhawk Veteran Member • Posts: 7,460
Re: Are there any crash-recovery measures for Camera RAW?

MoreCowbell wrote:

knickerhawk wrote:

remember that most of the newer edit capabilities built into ACR don't have to be applied during the initial conversion step. You can always go back into ACR (as a filter) later and utilize these RGB edit features with really no downside and several potential functional advantages (mainly related to layers).

I had never considered this and find it interesting. While I do use ACR as a filter when working in Photoshop I never considered if this would make the Photoshop autosave available. Sounds like it probably does and I think you may have solved the OP's question.

RIght, and don't forget that if you use the Open as Object option from ACR, even the basic raw conversion steps applied can be adjusted after-the-fact. There's really no compelling reason why you have to do everything up-front during the initial ACR stage and plenty of reasons why it's counterproductive in the ACR/PS world. As best I can tell it's something of a schizophrenic strategy that Adobe adopted - i.e., add more and more "features" into ACR to make it function more like LR. Well, if the LR workflow is what you like, why not just use it? PS is where the richness of the ACR+PS workflow still resides. Why fight against that with feature glut in ACR?

OP sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,719
Re: Are there any crash-recovery measures for Camera RAW?

knickerhawk wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

So at work, I usually use ACR as a quick means to get my photos directly into photoshop (as i don't usually have the time or want to put in the effort of dealing with LR Classic).

My question is regarding ACR and recovery of edits if ACR crashes or closes unexpectedly. I know that LR Classic writes the edits to the database as you do them, and you can set it to write the changes to an XMP file as well (if you're working with a RAW File) but does ACR have some means of recovery after a crash, even if it means having to redo the last few steps of say a longer edit session (that might include quite a few other edits)?

So far, the best thing I can think of to protect against this is to click "Done" periodically and let ACR save the changes to an XMP file, and then re-open and continue working. Would be nice if it had some sort of edit cache that it could save and that could be recovered if it crashed, even if it wrote a temporary XMP file that would be then removed when you clicked Open, Cancel or Done (if you clicked Done, all of your edits would be saved to a regular XMP file and the temporary XMP file would then be deleted).

If you periodically do an "Export Settings to XMP" in the Settings menu that should survive a crash. You can also create snapshots and update specific ones during the course of your ACR edit session, but that involves a little more work to name the snapshot. I haven't confirmed but I'd assume that snapshots also survive crashes. I'm not aware of any way to automate a save process during an ACR session. The general philosophy around ACR/PS has always been to do the basic raw conversion stuff in ACR to create a fairly neutral starting point for the substantive edits in PS, where there's a lot more available. Of course, the functional division between what you can (should?) do in ACR vs. PS has been eroded over the years as ACR has become more feature rich. It's somewhat of a workflow preference thing, but remember that most of the newer edit capabilities built into ACR don't have to be applied during the initial conversion step. You can always go back into ACR (as a filter) later and utilize these RGB edit features with really no downside and several potential functional advantages (mainly related to layers).

But I thought that ACR doesn't write any changes (ie. save them) until you either opend the image in PS or clicked Done (and close ACR "gracefully").

-- hide signature --

NOTE: If I don't reply to a direct comment in the forums, it's likely I unsubscribed from the thread/article..

 sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +10 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 23,397
Re: Are there any crash-recovery measures for Camera RAW?
1

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

My question is regarding ACR and recovery of edits if ACR crashes or closes unexpectedly.

Does that happen to you with such frequency that preemptive recovery measures are warranted? If so, it might be good to figure out why.

knickerhawk Veteran Member • Posts: 7,460
Re: Are there any crash-recovery measures for Camera RAW?

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

knickerhawk wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

So at work, I usually use ACR as a quick means to get my photos directly into photoshop (as i don't usually have the time or want to put in the effort of dealing with LR Classic).

My question is regarding ACR and recovery of edits if ACR crashes or closes unexpectedly. I know that LR Classic writes the edits to the database as you do them, and you can set it to write the changes to an XMP file as well (if you're working with a RAW File) but does ACR have some means of recovery after a crash, even if it means having to redo the last few steps of say a longer edit session (that might include quite a few other edits)?

So far, the best thing I can think of to protect against this is to click "Done" periodically and let ACR save the changes to an XMP file, and then re-open and continue working. Would be nice if it had some sort of edit cache that it could save and that could be recovered if it crashed, even if it wrote a temporary XMP file that would be then removed when you clicked Open, Cancel or Done (if you clicked Done, all of your edits would be saved to a regular XMP file and the temporary XMP file would then be deleted).

If you periodically do an "Export Settings to XMP" in the Settings menu that should survive a crash. You can also create snapshots and update specific ones during the course of your ACR edit session, but that involves a little more work to name the snapshot. I haven't confirmed but I'd assume that snapshots also survive crashes. I'm not aware of any way to automate a save process during an ACR session. The general philosophy around ACR/PS has always been to do the basic raw conversion stuff in ACR to create a fairly neutral starting point for the substantive edits in PS, where there's a lot more available. Of course, the functional division between what you can (should?) do in ACR vs. PS has been eroded over the years as ACR has become more feature rich. It's somewhat of a workflow preference thing, but remember that most of the newer edit capabilities built into ACR don't have to be applied during the initial conversion step. You can always go back into ACR (as a filter) later and utilize these RGB edit features with really no downside and several potential functional advantages (mainly related to layers).

But I thought that ACR doesn't write any changes (ie. save them) until you either opend the image in PS or clicked Done (and close ACR "gracefully").

As far as I'm aware ACR does not write any changes during the initial processing session AUTOMATICALLY. However, you can manually force a creation and/or save to an XMP by manually selecting the Export Settings to XMP. The same applies to the creation of a snapshot. I just confirmed that the Export Settings to XMP immediately creates an XMP file during an initial ACR session for a raw file that hasn't been previously processed. The XMP file is created/saved immediately upon the Export setting being selected. The only real shortcoming is that it's not an automatic/timed save. You have to invoke it manually. Nonetheless, the Export operation is easier than actually opening the processed raw in PS or saving/closing/reopening the raw file in ACR, which I believe is what you were previously doing..

OP sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,719
Re: Are there any crash-recovery measures for Camera RAW?

sybersitizen wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

My question is regarding ACR and recovery of edits if ACR crashes or closes unexpectedly.

Does that happen to you with such frequency that preemptive recovery measures are warranted? If so, it might be good to figure out why.

No not realy, but it's an overall concern which is why I try to avoid using ACR when possible. I did have a crash a long time ago (twice) and lost some work. Moved to LR Classic, and overall satisifed, although the import and catalog management is a bit pointless to me as I end up sending most of my files to PS anyway to be worked on so I don't spend a lot of time in LR Classic, and the time I do, I Feel is wasted (but LR Classic has the XMP files option, which is a bit of a safety net so to to speak, on top of the catalog). ACR doesn't have such methods for potentially recovering lost work.

It's more that I find myself in some cases, spending a considerable amount of time (or what I would consider it to be, so like 20 minutes or 30 minutes) with no means of recovery SHOULD it crash.  Most programs have some sort of measure, and this is likely why LR Classic does what it does (writes the edits to the catalog as you do them).

-- hide signature --

NOTE: If I don't reply to a direct comment in the forums, it's likely I unsubscribed from the thread/article..

 sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +10 more
JimH123 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,744
Re: Are there any crash-recovery measures for Camera RAW?
2

sybersitizen wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

My question is regarding ACR and recovery of edits if ACR crashes or closes unexpectedly.

Does that happen to you with such frequency that preemptive recovery measures are warranted? If so, it might be good to figure out why.

Good question!  I can't ever remember having a crash while using ACR.

 JimH123's gear list:JimH123's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Sony RX100 VII Olympus E-M5 II Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads