4 channel audio: Stereo analog + digital multi-shoe interface?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Niber Junior Member • Posts: 48
4 channel audio: Stereo analog + digital multi-shoe interface?

Hi, my A7iv says it supports 4 channel audio, but is very vague about what that means.

I'm thinking about buying the Sony ECM-B1M, which is a hotshoe mic that records digitally to the camera without needing a 3.5mm cable,

so my question is, if that's connected digitally, would that mean I could ALSO connect an analogue mic through the 3.5mm input?

That way I could have the Sony ECM-B1M record a shotgun mono channel, as well as having my Rode Stereo VideoMic recording a stereo audio, and then in post decide which one I want to use.

I can't find any information if that's possible, and since it's a very expensive microphone I don't feel like "buying just to find out", does anyone know?

aronake Forum Member • Posts: 72
Re: 4 channel audio: Stereo analog + digital multi-shoe interface?

you need sony xlr-k3m to get 4 channel audio

OP Niber Junior Member • Posts: 48

aronake wrote:

Gotcha, so basically it's impossible if you do gimbal shooting. That's unfortunate.

Mr_Win Senior Member • Posts: 1,758

Niber wrote:

aronake wrote:

Gotcha, so basically it's impossible if you do gimbal shooting. That's unfortunate.

Not totally, hot shoe extension, but it is a ton of added complexity

Mike Evangelist
Mike Evangelist Contributing Member • Posts: 689

Niber wrote:

aronake wrote:

Have you considered an inexpensive external audio recorder? That wouldn't have to be on the gimbal, and it's pretty easy to sync up the tracks in post.

Something like this - https://tascam.com/us/product/dr-40x/top

Mike Evangelist's gear list:Mike Evangelist's gear list
Sony a7R Sony a7R IV Sony a6600 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 50 +4 more

Mike Evangelist wrote:

Niber wrote:

aronake wrote:

Have you considered an inexpensive external audio recorder? That wouldn't have to be on the gimbal, and it's pretty easy to sync up the tracks in post.

Something like this - https://tascam.com/us/product/dr-40x/top

Yeah the mic I have attached to my gimbal now is the Zoom H1n, except I have it plugged into the camera's analogue mic input instead of using it as a recorder. I've never understood people who says its easy to sync in post, as I find it to be anything but. It must be dependent on style of shooting, I like being able to just go around and take short clips of little things for example when I'm walking the dog, it would be a huge organization nightmare to sync everything in post, especially if it's only years later when I decide to turn some clips into a published video.

Mr_Win wrote:

Niber wrote:

aronake wrote:

Not totally, hot shoe extension, but it is a ton of added complexity

Oh I see, I had no idea such a solution existed, as well as being provided with the Sony XLR-K3M. Well, I suppose the Sony XLR-K3M is a bit too bulky anyway, even if just attached to the handle of the gimbal rather than the camera.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads