Using Photos on Mac

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Labmom60
Labmom60 Senior Member • Posts: 1,491
Using Photos on Mac

Hoping someone can offer a solution.  I’m using a Mac and when I plug in my card reader with SD or CFExpress card Photos doesn’t automatically open.  Before when I used a Nikon d750 and now a Nikon Z6ii.  It’s not a big deal to just open Photos. But before Photos would automatically and ask if I wanted to download into Photos.  I’m not real savvy with the Mac(I mainly use my iPad and just the Mac for photos) and use Luminar and Aurora HDR for editing.  Sorry if this is lengthy/wordy.  Anyone have any idea where I can look for settings or even point me to a YouTube video.  Thank you in advance

Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Nick on the Baltic
Nick on the Baltic Contributing Member • Posts: 608
Re: Using Photos on Mac

Plug in your card reader.

When it's mounted (i.e. you see it in Finder), open Photos.

Look for your card reader in the sidebar of the Photos window. Click on it.

Now look at the top of the Photos window; it should show the import screen. there is a check box labelled "Open photos for this device". Click on it.

Photos should now open to the import dialog whenever you insert that device.

-- hide signature --

Nick on the Baltic

Nick on the Baltic's gear list:Nick on the Baltic's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-M1 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 20,698

If I'm not mistaken, CFExpress cards present themselves to the OS (WIndows or macOS) as UASP (USB-Attached SCSI Protocol) devices, in the interest of faster data transfer.  This has the effect of making them act like regular hard drives … and Lightroom doesn't give them the same special treatment that it gives to memory cards.

I'm not sure how this affects Photos, but thought I'd mention it, just in case there is also a Photos workflow difference.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/cf-express-card-treated-like-hard-disk/m-p/11798323

David Carlyon Contributing Member • Posts: 684

Yes, I can put SD, MicroSD (with adapter), or CF, and Lightroom will automatically open the Import, but CFexpress does a big fat nothing.

I was really irritated by this at first, but then I realized this also allows me to "Move" photos via Lightroom Import, clearing the card so I don't have to reformat in the camera (I shoot events and swap cards many, many times a day). I keep an SD backup card in the camera, so no worries there, but I haven't had any failures due to this. Of course the best thing would be if Lightroom opened import automatically AND used the fastest speed, AND let me Move instead of Copy...

Nick on the Baltic
Nick on the Baltic Contributing Member • Posts: 608
Re: Using Photos on Mac - OP's resolution?

It would be nice to know whether and how the OP has resolved her problem.

-- hide signature --

Nick on the Baltic

Nick on the Baltic's gear list:Nick on the Baltic's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-M1 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
Labmom60
OP Labmom60 Senior Member • Posts: 1,491

Nick on the Baltic wrote:

Sorry I have been out of town.   I brought up finder and uploaded the photos this way.  Its possible being it’s a CFExpress card?  Or maybe it was my Nikon d750.  I’ll just go through Finder and forget about trying to have Photos automatically open

thanks everyone for the advice and information

David Carlyon Contributing Member • Posts: 684

I use Lightroom and not Photos, but there should be an import button or something? You should be able to transfer and import the photos at the same time that way, the same as if you were doing it from an external hard drive that you want to move to your internal drive (or vice versa). It won't pop up automatically, but you should still be able to access it, which would probably be easier than dragging the files around in Finder.

Aberaeron Forum Pro • Posts: 10,178

Labmom60 wrote:

Nick on the Baltic wrote:

Sorry I have been out of town. I brought up finder and uploaded the photos this way. Its possible being it’s a CFExpress card? Or maybe it was my Nikon d750. I’ll just go through Finder and forget about trying to have Photos automatically open

thanks everyone for the advice and information

Assuming that there is something special about how CFE cards work, I would create a folder on the desktop dedicated to downloading the card’s files. Then use ‘Command and Up-arrow' to select all the new files and ‘Share' with Apple Photos. Job’s a good one. Then maybe do some clearing up by deleting the files inside the folder created above] but ensure that Photos is backed up first, at least to Time Machine, and also before formatting the CFE in the camera when felt appropriate.

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a7 III +26 more
Labmom60

Thanks everyone.  I’m just not sure what’s changed except now I’m using a Nikon Z6ii and not a Nikon d750, which I don’t know what this would have to do with the downloading.   It was just convenient when I inserted my card reader/card, Photos just automatically opened and asked if I wanted to download the photos and where to put them and now it doesn’t.  Thought maybe I did something to change things but don’t know what

Labmom60 wrote:

Thought maybe I did something to change things but don’t know what

Change the card’s [camera’s] name in finder when it shows and open Photos. It should show up with the new name on the left of Photos. If so go to Imports and click on ‘Open Photos for this camera’ or words to that effect. Then just import normally. It may be that this might need to be done after every time you format the card, or not. Remember to eject the card using the eject button on the left of Photos or in Finder, leaving a second or two for its listing to disappear before dismounting the card.

Try it and see. If it works, it works. If not, back to the drawing board.

Fujifilm X20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a7 III +26 more
Labmom60

Aberaeron wrote:

Labmom60 wrote:

Thought maybe I did something to change things but don’t know what

Change the card’s [camera’s] name in finder when it shows and open Photos. It should show up with the new name on the left of Photos. If so go to Imports and click on ‘Open Photos for this camera’ or words to that effect. Then just import normally. It may be that this might need to be done after every time you format the card, or not. Remember to eject the card using the eject button on the left of Photos or in Finder, leaving a second or two for its listing to disappear before dismounting the card.

Try it and see. If it works, it works. If not, back to the drawing board.

thank you. I’ll try it tomorrow. I’ve found YouTube videos on how to  turn off Photos from automatically opening but nothing on how to set it up to have Photos automatically opening on start up

Labmom60

Thanks for the help.  I figured it out.  I went to system/Users & Groups/Login Items and added Photos to that. So now when my Mac starts up Photos automatically opens.

Labmom60 wrote:

Thanks for the help. I figured it out. I went to system/Users & Groups/Login Items and added Photos to that. So now when my Mac starts up Photos automatically opens.

Does it now automatically recognise the CFE card and open that in the Imports folder as well?  I ask because I suspect that like me, most people don’t have Photos open when the computer starts up and, possibly like me again, seldom actually log out and switch their Mac off. Nevertheless, admittedly using SD cards, Photos automatically recognises when a card or camera is connected and opens without intervention.

However, if something works for you, that’s all that should matter to you.

Labmom60

Aberaeron wrote:

Labmom60 wrote:

Thanks for the help. I figured it out. I went to system/Users & Groups/Login Items and added Photos to that. So now when my Mac starts up Photos automatically opens.

Does it now automatically recognise the CFE card and open that in the Imports folder as well? I ask because I suspect that like me, most people don’t have Photos open when the computer starts up and, possibly like me again, seldom actually log out and switch their Mac off. Nevertheless, admittedly using SD cards, Photos automatically recognises when a card or camera is connected and opens without intervention.

However, if something works for you, that’s all that should matter to you.

No it doesn’t.  This weekend I’ll see if I can get it to recognize the CF card and import it. Maybe I can add it as a Login Item.     I always shut my Mac down  I use my iPad more then my Mac.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads