My SX30 IS camera will not turn on

Started 4 months ago | Questions
DrBMeyer New Member • Posts: 1
My SX30 IS camera will not turn on

Hello:

My SX30 IS Canon will not turn on. I found it after several years in cool, dry storage and one battery.

Here are my questions:

1) I charged the old battery in the camera overnight. I don't have a charger but I found a cable and a battery and plugged the cable into the port from an Apple cube. Did I do something wrong?

2)  Has Canon discontinued the SX30 IS? Batteries are impossible to come by and the few on the market cost upwards of $500.

Any assistance/feedback would be appreciated. My wife purchased the camera for me in 2012 and it has been great. Did I fry the driver?

I have been trying to find out if I did something wrong. Please let me know are your earliest opportunity.

Dr B Meyer

DrBMeyer's gear list:DrBMeyer's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 7,588
Re: My SX30 IS camera will not turn on

I have an SX30 IS

If I remember right, that camera does not support in camera charging of the battery. That feature came along much later.

Most likely the battery simply will not accept a charge after all this time. If they aren't kept charged for a long period of time that happens. The problem is when the charge get super low, there is a risk of fire because a charging voltage would allow so much current to be sucked in so fast. So charging gets disabled

Edit.   I thought I had an SX30IS.  Just now I checked and it actually is the SX40IS.  Turned on just fine though.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +27 more
labrie Forum Member • Posts: 64

SX30 cannot charge batteries in-camera, you need a charger. As for battery availability, I think you can safely try third-party replacements; reputable manufacturers such as Duracell sell them for about $18-$20, and with a bit of research/luck, good enough ones from lesser known sources can be found even in <$10 range. Just read the comments and avoid improbably high capacity.

-- hide signature --

Please, feel free to correct my English.

User4286416121 Senior Member • Posts: 1,170

Correct.

There is no in-camera charging.

Need to charge outside of camera.

Any of the reputable batteries will do fine.

Some sell for less than 20, two batteries and charger.

Assuming this is not a oad, and/or scam/troll.

bridge77 Contributing Member • Posts: 736

labrie wrote:

SX30 cannot charge batteries in-camera, you need a charger. As for battery availability, I think you can safely try third-party replacements; reputable manufacturers such as Duracell sell them for about $18-$20, and with a bit of research/luck, good enough ones from lesser known sources can be found even in <$10 range. Just read the comments and avoid improbably high capacity.

good replies. i have a canon SX30 and use a Canon NB-7L battery in it, but i also use the XXX brand equivalent in this camera and others. amazon and ebay have them very inexpensive.

if you buy third party batteries, get the charger at the same time with a bundle. Brand XXX sells on ebay/Amazon very cheap. Duracell is a better brand but will cost more and prolly worth it.

but beware, normally the after market batteries don't last as long as Canon and i would not leave them on the charger for over an hour, as it may have a slight chance of being a fire hazard IMHO.

mine have always been safe but some people leave batteries charging all the time, even OEM.  IMHO just don't and be happy. better to baby sit any charging batteries and pull them off the charger, even if not fully charged.

Edit, your Canon NB-7L battery is prolly still good.  get a charger when you buy your battery and see for yourself.

please tells us what happens.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads