DLUX 7, Q or Q2

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Richard368 New Member • Posts: 6
DLUX 7, Q or Q2

I have a Nikon D750 with lenses but quite a bulk with family, toys, dog, use to have a dlux4 and think I need to get a more a mobile back up for everyday? Not that worried about pixels so something around 20s seems reasonable so perhaps q2 excessive but weather sealing on q is that an issue, but does well with low light or do I just go with something with a zoom, how much of a difference between Dlux and q. Really want to make the right choice hence any guidance welcome, thankyou

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Wolf's Head Regular Member • Posts: 348
Re: DLUX 7, Q or Q2

If cost is not an obstacle, I would go for the Q2… It will give you some measure of ‘future proofing’ and will offer you the widest range of options as to how you use it. I was sceptical, but it really is possible to crop in to about 50mm equivalent view, so you have effectively 28-50 which is very usable. Weather proofing, better battery life - I’ve had mine for about a month now and haven’t really found anything to dislike - except perhaps the location of the thumbwheel which doesn’t fall conveniently for me.

-- hide signature --

Best wishes,
Alan J
Monochrome photography blog :: https://penycae.wordpress.com
Image galleries :: http://www.pbase.com/wolfs_head

Wolf's Head's gear list:Wolf's Head's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Leica Q2 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +18 more
Le Chef Regular Member • Posts: 259

"a more a mobile back up for everyday? Not that worried about pixels"

With that brief I would plump for the DL-7. It will give you enough pixels and flexibility of a lovely little zoom to satisfy that role. You can shoot from the simplest fully automatic jpeg level and give it to a novice family member, all the way up to shooting in RAW and fully manual. It's arguably that breadth that makes it such a useful camera. You can buy new for about $1300, or below $1000 pre-owned.

I still have a DL-109 (the 7's predecessor) a CL and a Q2 and the DL still get's plenty of use and will be backup to the Q2 on a trip this fall.

LeicaEye
LeicaEye Veteran Member • Posts: 8,959

-- hide signature --

If you understand everything, you must be misinformed...

LeicaEye's gear list:LeicaEye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Leica CL +10 more
Texas_Stars Contributing Member • Posts: 568

I have a D850, and a number of Nikkor lenses; also a D-Lux 7.

If I live long enough, I will buy the Leica Q3, especially if its focal length is 35mm or 50mm. When I have the Q3 in hand, I will retire the D850 package; however, the D-Lux 7 will always be with me … a partner so-to-speak with the Q3.

My suggestion is to buy both high-quality cameras.

David

Texas_Stars's gear list:Texas_Stars's gear list
Leica D-Lux 7 Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
JanisPaw Forum Member • Posts: 58

I would avoid the Q, having owned one it does not have the Leica magic.

To be honest from what you say A Ricoh GRIII or GRIIIx would work well as a small carry around family camera.

If you want Leica then go for the 7.

OP Richard368 New Member • Posts: 6

Thanks David, a some helpful insight, though buying 2 high quality cameras would suggest just stretch the budget and try and go for the Q2, though you talk of Q3.  I note rumours that next year at 60MP Q3, so perhaps I can pick up the Q2 cheaper.  Good to know the Dlux works also.  appreciate the guidance.

Thanks again Dlux still works and price helps for sure, thanks for taking the time

Wow hadn't considered the zoom 28-50mm very interesting angle and with the other commentary, I think a revisit on how far the budget will stretch, the future proofing, kids / family don't use and suggestion I stick with high quality.

I had thought Q would work as same pixels as D750 (give or take) and cheaper, with excellent reviews, but your cropping points makes me think.  Thank you

That's interesting, the Lux 7 has the magic but not the Q, need to start reviewing images - thanks, much appreciated

Richard368 wrote:

That's interesting, the Lux 7 has the magic but not the Q, need to start reviewing images - thanks, much appreciated

No magic with the 7, it's a Panasonic camera with a Leica badge stuck on it. My advice is to rent a Q if you have your heart set on it. It is a good camera but you may find it large for your intended use.

Or save some money and get the Panasonic:-

Panasonic Lumix DC-LX100 II Digital Camera (Black) DC-LX100M2 (bhphotovideo.com)

Le Chef Regular Member • Posts: 259

Strange. The Q2 has the same lens as the Q and an awful lot of components are also shared. My Q2 has magic and the Q I borrowed also had “magic” as you put it. 
Not sure if you do this but I only shoot RAW with all my cameras so maybe this is where the magic comes from.

a good reminder on the panasonic front, think I need to hire a Q / Q2 by the sound of it to really test, seems like the most affordable way to join the club!

LeicaEye
LeicaEye Veteran Member • Posts: 8,959

Richard368 wrote:

a good reminder on the panasonic front, think I need to hire a Q / Q2 by the sound of it to really test, seems like the most affordable way to join the club!

Great Decision....

-- hide signature --

If you understand everything, you must be misinformed...

LeicaEye's gear list:LeicaEye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Leica CL +10 more

Richard368 wrote:

Let us know how you get on with it. Have you considered an M?

LEZ90
LEZ90 Forum Member • Posts: 74

Having owned a D-Lux 109, D-Lux 7 & a Q2, I would recommend the DL7 - unless money is no object, then its the Q2 all day long.

Don't think the DL7 is a re-badged Lumix. Its not. The DL7 uses Panasonic hardware (like the Lumix) but it uses Leica's own image processing algorithms and produces much better shots than the Lumix.

I would say the Q2 is 30% better than a DL7 but it does cost 4x more and thats something to consider.

For close up portrait and street photography the Q2 is superb, but at 75mm the DL7 produces better quality shots.

The DL7 is a brilliant camera and great value for money but if money is not object the go for the Q2 as its a better camera apart from the size, weight and at 75mm

Whatever you get I'm sure you will be happy.

Size and samples below:

D-Lux 7

D-Lux 7

Q2

Q2

-- hide signature --

Insta: @UKLeica

LEZ90's gear list:LEZ90's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica V-Lux 5 +2 more

These four photos were taken this morning during a walk around on Rice University campus; the first two .. Leica C type 112, and the Leica D-Lux 7.

There are many vistas on the campus:

Vahalla

Moon

Willy

David

Leica D-Lux 7 Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
Francis E Senior Member • Posts: 2,093

Texas_Stars wrote:

These four photos were taken this morning during a walk around on Rice University campus; the first two .. Leica C type 112, and the Leica D-Lux 7.

I notice that you have a D-Lux 3 in your gear list, a camera I also have. How do the images from it compare to your D-Lux 7? I'm thinking of upgrading.

Francis E's gear list:Francis E's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Samsung TL500 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +10 more

Francis E wrote:

I notice that you have a D-Lux 3 in your gear list, a camera I also have. How do the images from it compare to your D-Lux 7? I'm thinking of upgrading.

Thirteen years ago, I had the time of my life taking panoramas with a so-called GigaPan robot unit. This is one of my GigaPans .. Miss Lillian, a 252-stitched panorama: The camera used was the D-Lux 3:

http://gigapan.com/gigapans/18256

Now to answer your question ... The cameras are not comparable ... you should order the D-Lux 7 after you read this.

More D-Lux 7 photos taken at Rice ... there is no way the D-Lux 4 could accomplish this quality.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65618884

David

Francis E Senior Member • Posts: 2,093

Texas_Stars wrote:

Now to answer your question ... The cameras are not comparable ... you should order the D-Lux 7 after you read this.

Thanks. After seeing your images I'm very tempted. I think I mentioned elsewhere the quality of the digital zoom to 400mm on the C Typ 112. 35mm equivalent here 484mm.

Rainbow lorikeet.

Francis E's gear list:Francis E's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Samsung TL500 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads