D850/D5 low light performance

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
MoreCowbell Contributing Member • Posts: 520
D850/D5 low light performance

Has anyone had occasion to compare the low light performance of the D850 vs the D5?  Specifically I'm interested in noise.

Nikon D5 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Wahrsager
Wahrsager Veteran Member • Posts: 3,180
Re: D850/D5 low light performance

MoreCowbell wrote:

Has anyone had occasion to compare the low light performance of the D850 vs the D5? Specifically I'm interested in noise.

You might like this older thread:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63665673

Wahrsager's gear list:Wahrsager's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon Z6 Nikon D6 +30 more
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 7,093

MoreCowbell wrote:

Has anyone had occasion to compare the low light performance of the D850 vs the D5? Specifically I'm interested in noise.

I used a D850 and D5 side-by-side with f/2.8 zooms for (often low-light) theatre shoots.

I never did any formal comparisons between the two, but in general I found that, while the D850 was noticeably better in terms of DR and noise at lower ISO values, the D5 was around 1 stop ahead above 800 ISO.

The measured data seems to support this:

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D5,Nikon%20D850

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z fc Nikon Z9 +22 more
OP MoreCowbell Contributing Member • Posts: 520
Thanx guys n/t
GuyDagar
GuyDagar Contributing Member • Posts: 609

I've recently been shooting with both the D850 and D5; as others have said, the D5 is a little better in low-light situations, sometimes a lot better. But, that's not what I have found to be the pertinent difference between the two bodies in low-light: the D5 focusses more quickly, on the subject and holds focus better when something starts to move. I can say I've missed a few good shots with the D850 that I wouldn't have with the D5. Something else the D5 has done for me: it removed the stigma of shooting at high ISOs, above 6400, something I never would have done with the D850, but since then I now will shoot the D850 at higher ISOs as well. In either case, however, the noise is easily correctable in post.

Noise? What noise?

GuyDagar's gear list:GuyDagar's gear list
Sigma 60-600mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Nikon D810 Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +16 more
bclaff Forum Pro • Posts: 13,368

MoreCowbell wrote:

From tests I would say the D5 over the D850 by about 2/3 stop.

From the table below the chart Low Light ISO EV of 11.17 for the D5 versus 10.36 for the D850.

Clearly the story is different when there is plenty of light,

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads