Looking for high quality mirrorless digital equivalent of 35mm RF

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
MikeyBestPix New Member • Posts: 5
Looking for high quality mirrorless digital equivalent of 35mm RF

I grew up with Nikon Fs and some Leica Ms.  My Leica gear was stolen years ago and was never replaced. I'd like to get something digital to renew that kind of approach but I can't even remotely justify a Leica these days so I am looking at a Sony a7C or a6600 and maybe a Fuji XPro-3 as contenders. The prices are a bit daunting when I consider the glass to be added to the purchase price, but that's life.

I currently use a Nikon D5200 with an 18-200 zoom and 40mm f2.8 micro Nikkor.  Those are bread and butter for me and I am happy with their output.  I kind of see the mirrorless as a river crossing side move which might eventually move to full frame for everything over time.

Right now I am leaning to the a7c but the XPro-3 looks appealing too. Any caveats or suggestions?

Nikon D5200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
robgendreau Forum Pro • Posts: 10,199
Re: Looking for high quality mirrorless digital equivalent of 35mm RF

MikeyBestPix wrote:

I grew up with Nikon Fs and some Leica Ms. My Leica gear was stolen years ago and was never replaced. I'd like to get something digital to renew that kind of approach but I can't even remotely justify a Leica these days so I am looking at a Sony a7C or a6600 and maybe a Fuji XPro-3 as contenders. The prices are a bit daunting when I consider the glass to be added to the purchase price, but that's life.

I currently use a Nikon D5200 with an 18-200 zoom and 40mm f2.8 micro Nikkor. Those are bread and butter for me and I am happy with their output. I kind of see the mirrorless as a river crossing side move which might eventually move to full frame for everything over time.

Right now I am leaning to the a7c but the XPro-3 looks appealing too. Any caveats or suggestions?

It doesn't really matter; both of those (and more) are fine cameras. You don't have any criteria from which to make a decision, and everyone makes a decent 35mm lens. I've got the 35mm RF, and I'd say some of the better zooms also do as well as it in most aspects.

Craig Gillette Forum Pro • Posts: 12,423

Not sure if you are looking to a single fixed lens camera with something in the 35mm focal length range, or considering a camera which could be interchangeable lenses but kind of with the look and feel of a traditional "range finder" camera with a 35mm or so prime lens to begin.  Going mirror-less is kind of a start over opportunity.  They all offer good products, although I'm a Sony user, I don't see any reason, in general, to suggest not looking towards all of them.  So, I'd suggest taking some time to look at the different makers and their offerings.

Fuji has a broader range of aps-c models but no path to ff (they do have a larger format system, though).  Sony has several aps-c models and is restarting production on a couple that were delayed with supply chain issues.  They have a more "rangefinder" feel to the bodies (in aps-c), with corner viewfinder, no central hump, etc.  They have, I believe, a broader range of available lenses, with a number of third party lenses, too.  Nikon and Canon were later getting to mirror-less and so have fewer offerings compared to Fuji and Sony.  Nikon and Canon's mirror-less bodies are much more reminiscent of their dslr lines.

If you like your existing Nikon lenses and their output, you could consider the Nikon mirror-less with an adapter.  You'd also, to some extent get similar feel and handling.

Should aps-c systems offer what you want/need, that can often allow one to go with smaller, lighter and less expensive kits.  If you are considering moving to ff at some point, it's worth considering that aps-c lenses can be brought up and used on ff bodies but they  drive the body to crop mode and that can reduce the advantage.  So unless going to the higher resolution bodies, the crop results in a lower resolution than you had in aps-c.  So, often going ff requires buying more ff lenses anyways.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 3,290

Sounds like you are looking to reproduce that RF experience in a MILC.

In terms of form factor I guess the cameras you have mentioned are as near as you are going to get.

If you are thinking of FF eventually then I would just go for the Sony A7c now.

I use and have used an M3, Contax iia and G RF film cameras as well as a host of digital dslr and milc bodies - nothing comes close to that RF experience. Like you, I can’t possibly justify even a used M9 let alone the newer bodies. At least with a FF Sony you can use many M mount lenses ( without needing a focal reducer ) although the WA can give trouble due to colour smearing at the edges.

Martin_99 Senior Member • Posts: 3,861

Consider your options together with lenses. Maybe you will see, that some setup you will like more or less. This way you can decide better.

Martin_99's gear list:Martin_99's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN | C (X-mount) Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS +2 more
David5833 Senior Member • Posts: 2,396

I realize you asked about RF style, but the Z50 and the FTZ would probably be the lowest cost option, you have lenses, would be mostly familiar with the system, and there are nice upgrades for later if you wish.

If RF styling is important, Any of the options you mentioned or that have been suggested would be fine, you just need to find out what feels right in your hands and what features you want.

David5833's gear list:David5833's gear list
Canon G9 X II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +6 more
OP MikeyBestPix New Member • Posts: 5

Thank you everyone for your replies. They are all helpful. I just need to juggle my budget for this because an a7c is kind of a leap.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads