RF 100mm Macro and R5, adult antlion shots. Very unique insect!

Started Jun 21, 2022 | Photos
JayLT4 Regular Member • Posts: 318
RF 100mm Macro and R5, adult antlion shots. Very unique insect!

Finally got some shots this summer of a Paranthaclisis Congener species of antlion.  This is the same thing that makes those little cones in the ground and wait for small insects to fall into them, but that's the larva stage whereas this is the final adult stage.

The most unique feature of this insect, to me, are clearly the eyes.  I've never seen another insect in person with the amount of color and detail in the eyes as these have.

As adults these get about 2 inches long and are commonly confused with damselflies.  They are also nocturnal which is the main reason I rarely get to see them.  In any given year I usually only spot two or three of these.  We have other species of antlion in my area, but not with eyes like this.

Godox MF-12 flash for lighting

These are all stacked images.  Shot hand-held and created the stacks manually by locking focus and slowly moving forward while continually shooting.  Images merged in Photoshop and edited in Lightroom.

1/200th, f/16 ISO 200

1/200th, f/16, ISO 200

1/160th, f/16, ISO 200

1/160th, f/16, ISO 200

1/200th, f/16, ISO 200

-- hide signature --
 JayLT4's gear list:JayLT4's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +4 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tambopata Regular Member • Posts: 164
Re: RF 100mm Macro and R5, adult antlion shots. Very unique insect!

Awesome insect and details.

Taken in daylight?

You say you do manual stacks by moving slowly when shooting. Have you tried the internal focus-stacking with the R5?

Tambopata's gear list:Tambopata's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
OP JayLT4 Regular Member • Posts: 318

Tambopata wrote:

Taken in daylight?

You say you do manual stacks by moving slowly when shooting. Have you tried the internal focus-stacking with the R5?

Thanks!

Being nocturnal, these were taken just after midnight. I've never seen one of these during the day.

I've used the built-in focus bracketing, and I'd really like to be able to use it on these, but you can't use it with a flash as it forces the use of the electronic shutter which cannot be used with a flash unfortunately.

-- hide signature --
 JayLT4's gear list:JayLT4's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +4 more
Tambopata Regular Member • Posts: 164

JayLT4 wrote:

Tambopata wrote:

Taken in daylight?

Thanks!

Being nocturnal, these were taken just after midnight. I've never seen one of these during the day.

I've used the built-in focus bracketing, and I'd really like to be able to use it on these, but you can't use it with a flash as it forces the use of the electronic shutter which cannot be used with a flash unfortunately.

I see, thanks for the answer.

I'm looking at the RF100 macro as well. Are you satisfied with the Godox MF-12? Seeing your photos here I guess you're not unhappy with it.

Tambopata's gear list:Tambopata's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
Mike Engles Senior Member • Posts: 2,768

The eyes and the antlers are really fine.

I have only ever seen one, on holiday in France in 1987. I have it on film, but not to the detail you have.

Really good.

drsnoopy Senior Member • Posts: 1,973

Just a thought that had occurred to me while considering this issue of not being able to use the automated focus stacking with flash due to the electronic shutter - it appears possible to use the Canon Camera Connect app (phone) to focus stack.  If the camera is set to mechanical shutter or EFCS, this should allow the use of flash, especially at low power and quick recycling.   May be difficult to use handheld though   Worth a try?

drsnoopy's gear list:drsnoopy's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R7 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +8 more
R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,795

Wow, those eyes really ARE crazy!  I'd love to see them with the MP-E! 

Thanks for sharing!  Wish those guys lived around here!

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS R7 +1 more

I have scanned my picture on Kodachrome 25 with a Epson V800.

I imagine I could have got more detail if I had used my R5 to copy it

I actually took it in 1991, according to the slide mount.

I hope you don't mind my posting it here

This was in the early evening on a campsite in France. There was some daylight, But I think I used flash. I only took this picture.We had to be very economical in those days. OM4, OM 80mm macro f4 and the OM variable extension tube. Diffused OM T32 flash 1/60.f11

I still use the macro stuff with my R5.

BobKnDP Senior Member • Posts: 4,495

Brilliant images.

I wonder how many of us mere mortals could take stackable images by hand? I'd bet that it wouldn't work for me.

That technique, has been around some time.

I only do single shot, but you do have to for macro develope  a very steady hand and that slow approach, not to scare the insect away, lends itself to taking pictures as you do it. It still needs a lot of practice. Theses are particularly good.

I always appreciate the results from image stacks, but am not at all interested in doing it myself.

SpartanWarrior
SpartanWarrior Veteran Member • Posts: 3,252
 SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Canon EOS R3 Nikon Z8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 800mm F11 IS STM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads