Anyone shooting through a microscope?

Started Jun 18, 2022 | Questions
grsnovi
grsnovi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,992
Anyone shooting through a microscope?

I recently purchased an AmScope stereo trinocular scope and their DSLR adapter. I previously had a Vello A-mount-to-T-mount lens adapter and mounted my a65 to the scope. With everything tight, I can move the camera upwards (father away from the optics in the 2x adapter that fits into the third tube). One thing that I wasn't initially thinking about was the sensor plane relative to the subject and how that potentially impacts focus and DOF. My microscope has both zoom and focus on two different sets of knobs. I'm not sure if I should be trying to focus through the eye pieces or using the focus peaking on the camera screen?

Below is a shot through the scope as well as a shot of the scope with camera mounted. Both images have been scaled to 1000 pixels wide.

6" rule showing approx. 4" from ring light to table top

Synthetic ruby is 1.2mm in DIA

grsnovi's gear list:grsnovi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony SLT-A65 Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 OM-1 +16 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Gregor Samsa
Gregor Samsa Contributing Member • Posts: 513
Re: Anyone shooting through a microscope?

I've occasionally done a very rudimentary setup.

Sony A7iii, Bresser microscope I got in Aldi years ago, cheapo LED ring light,

Slightly unsavoury subject, but here's a head louse at x3 magnification, 9 images focus stacked.

Gregor Samsa's gear list:Gregor Samsa's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7 III Sony a1 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +5 more
ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 2,399

There's an excellent website dedicated to macro and micro photography, and the owner moderator is heavily involved. Highly recommend.

www.photomacrography.net

grsnovi
OP grsnovi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,992

Thank for that Ken! Looks like a lot of nature shots but I applied to register and will spend some time there.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony SLT-A65 Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 OM-1 +16 more
bclaff Forum Pro • Posts: 14,085

My setup has a stand rather than pole mount.

4x zoom with 2x relay lens so typically 2x-8x.
Even more when I use extension tubes between the camera and the relay lens.

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

grsnovi
Still struggling...

When my eyes see sharp focus, my camera isn't focused on what I want. I wish that I had a micro-adjust between the camera and the scope. When the camera focus peaks, the shot isn't in focus. Tonight I started above focus and moved below focus and I suspect my DOF is less than .1mm. I'm not sure that I even have enough adjustment to get a meaningful sequence to focus stack.

ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 2,399

Focus stack?  Just try it...good photography involves a lot of experimenting.

Camrarat Regular Member • Posts: 487

Gregor Samsa wrote:

I've occasionally done a very rudimentary setup.

Sony A7iii, Bresser microscope I got in Aldi years ago, cheapo LED ring light,

Slightly unsavoury subject, but here's a head louse at x3 magnification, 9 images focus stacked.

Aldi? The grocery store?

Camrarat's gear list:Camrarat's gear list
Olympus TG-6 Canon EOS 550D Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD +2 more
grsnovi

I had thought that I'd captured enough images yesterday to do a focus stack however when I finally looked at them the only image that was reasonably in focus was the one where I had focus peaking indications.

You're right - I need to experiment more.

I may also need to consider that shooting through my macro lens with an attached Raynox may ultimately prove to be a "better" solution for what I want/need. It's not like I'm shooting for publication.

Gregor Samsa
Gregor Samsa Contributing Member • Posts: 513

Yes, Aldi, the German discount, no frills grocery chain. Not sure about how it works where you are, but here in Europe - or at least Ireland - they (and Lidl) are famous for their “middle isle” smorgasbord of random goods that change every week. Could be wetsuits this week, hedge trimmers next week, microscopes the week after.

Gregor Samsa's gear list:Gregor Samsa's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7 III Sony a1 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads