Should I go for the camera NX1 in 2022

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Happynathan New Member • Posts: 16
Should I go for the camera NX1 in 2022

Hi everyone, I am using NX500 with a 50-150mm S Len, a 45mm Len and a 12-24mm Len.  I am worrying my NX500 will be out of order some days and I am thinking to buy a mint condition NX1 on ebay at priced ard 780 USD.  Do you guys think it is worth to buy to continue the usage of the lens?  Or I should go for another NX500?  I mainly use the camera for protrait and landscape shooting.  Thanks.

Happynathan's gear list:Happynathan's gear list
Samsung 50-150mm F2.8 S
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kypfer Contributing Member • Posts: 892
Re: Should I go for the camera NX1 in 2022

Seems a lot of money to invest in an obsolete system, especially for "just" portrait and landscape shots, where the quality of the lenses is probably more important than the overall capability of the body.

If you're currently happy with using the NX500 and committed to continuing with the NX system, a second "low mileage" NX500 would seem a more sensible choice.

As always, just my opinion

kypfer's gear list:kypfer's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax *ist DS Pentax *ist DL2 Pentax K200D Samsung NX5 +7 more
Wahid Khan 1961 Regular Member • Posts: 168

Hi Nathan (?),

I don't think the quality of for still photography has improved that much since the NX1 was released. Most of the improvements have been in auto-focus speeds,  tracking and video. Non of them crucial to me as a landscape/scene photographer.

To the best of my knowledge the NX1 has no advantages over the NX500 for stills other than no EVF. I find that an EVF/OVF helps with stability when using larger lenses like the 50-150mm. Also better in very bright scenarios.

The NX1 has better video capabilities, but it sounds as if you, like me, do not care about video.

I'm not familiar with US prices for NX gear. 750 (USD) sounds a little expensive to me, however if it's really in mint condition and you can get a worthwhile warranty in the price then possibly a good deal.

In my opinion NX gear will get more expensive as the number of good/working kits on the market shrinks.

Best of luck which ever option you go for.

Wahid Khan 1961's gear list:Wahid Khan 1961's gear list
Samsung EX2F Samsung NX10 Pentax K-5 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX20 +33 more
OP Happynathan New Member • Posts: 16

kypfer wrote:

Seems a lot of money to invest in an obsolete system, especially for "just" portrait and landscape shots, where the quality of the lenses is probably more important than the overall capability of the body.

If you're currently happy with using the NX500 and committed to continuing with the NX system, a second "low mileage" NX500 would seem a more sensible choice.

As always, just my opinion

Thanks for your advice.

Samsung 50-150mm F2.8 S

Wahid Khan 1961 wrote:

Hi Nathan (?),

I don't think the quality of for still photography has improved that much since the NX1 was released. Most of the improvements have been in auto-focus speeds, tracking and video. Non of them crucial to me as a landscape/scene photographer.

To the best of my knowledge the NX1 has no advantages over the NX500 for stills other than no EVF. I find that an EVF/OVF helps with stability when using larger lenses like the 50-150mm. Also better in very bright scenarios.

The NX1 has better video capabilities, but it sounds as if you, like me, do not care about video.

I'm not familiar with US prices for NX gear. 750 (USD) sounds a little expensive to me, however if it's really in mint condition and you can get a worthwhile warranty in the price then possibly a good deal.

In my opinion NX gear will get more expensive as the number of good/working kits on the market shrinks.

Thanks for your advice. I agree 750USD for a 8 -year-old model is quite expensive. Do you guys think 250USD for a functioned NX30 is a good substitution? Or I should wait for another NX500 if I wanna stay with my lens until they are all out of order.

Samsung 50-150mm F2.8 S
Wahid Khan 1961 Regular Member • Posts: 168

Happynathan wrote:

Wahid Khan 1961 wrote:

Hi Nathan (?),

I don't think the quality of for still photography has improved that much since the NX1 was released. Most of the improvements have been in auto-focus speeds, tracking and video. Non of them crucial to me as a landscape/scene photographer.

Thanks for your advice. I agree 750USD for a 8 -year-old model is quite expensive. Do you guys think 250USD for a functioned NX30 is a good substitution? Or I should wait for another NX500 if I wanna stay with my lens until they are all out of order.

Personally, I'd wait for an NX500. I think that the EVFs on NX20/30 models have a slightly flakey reputation. Someone here might correct/confirm this.

I'll be going to a wedding this weekend with the NX1 as my main camera and an NX500 as a back-up.

Wahid Khan 1961's gear list:Wahid Khan 1961's gear list
Samsung EX2F Samsung NX10 Pentax K-5 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX20 +33 more
JankHua New Member • Posts: 10

The cost makes me have to use the NX system. There are too few NX lenses.

JankHua's gear list:JankHua's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake
markyboy81 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,758

If you can find a reasonably priced nx1 I would go for it. As others have said there aren't too many advantages for still photography compared to the nx500, but ergonomically it's more suited to the 50-150mm. By the look of things you're already fairly 'invested' in the system.

On the other hand maybe don't listen to me, I have 3 NX1s and an NX500 🤣

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony ZV-1 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +9 more

I find a mint condition NX30 at priced 255 USD, seems quite a good price and ergonomically fits my 50-150mm more than my NX500.  The NX1 is too expensive 😥

Samsung 50-150mm F2.8 S
doceyes Regular Member • Posts: 168

Weird times.....you can find and purchase an NX1 easier than an NX500 on eBay etc. And those with NX500's generally want ridiculously high prices than the NX1. Not sure why but that is what the market is asking for.

doceyes's gear list:doceyes's gear list
Pentax 645D Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Pentax K-1
Abbazz
Abbazz Senior Member • Posts: 1,296

doceyes wrote:

Weird times.....you can find and purchase an NX1 easier than an NX500 on eBay etc. And those with NX500's generally want ridiculously high prices than the NX1. Not sure why but that is what the market is asking for.

Personally, I favor smaller cameras and prefer the form factor of the NX500. As I don't do video, the only practical difference between the NX500 and NX1 is the electronic viewfinder on the latter.

A few years ago, I would have said that a viewfinder was a strict requirement on any camera. But now, I tend to prefer composing the picture on ground glass or on a large LCD rather than having to squint through a peephole. I find having the NX500 at waist level with the OLED screen tilited up a very comfortable and natural shooting position, reminiscent of the old twin lens reflex cameras.

Together with two or three of the superb prime lenses in the Samsung stable, the NX500 makes a wonderful shooting kit, very compact and difficult to beat for image quality, even today.

I love to wander about with two NX500 bodies, one with the 10mm fisheye and the other one with the 30mm pancake. And if I know I will be using a telephoto lens, I add the NX Mini with the 45mm and adapter (120mm equivalent). The 10mm will also double as a moderate wide (27mm equivalent) on the Mini and the 30mm as a nice portrait lens (81mm equivalent). Everything fits in a small waist pouch and delivers top notch results.

Maybe I am not the only one prefering the NX500. That would explain the relatively high prices on the used market.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads