DJI Mini3 battery only 24 minutes

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
JohnHarlin Regular Member • Posts: 238
DJI Mini3 battery only 24 minutes

Can anyone who has the DJI mini3 confirm that they only get 24 minutes battery time instead of the 34 minutes stated. A lot of people on YouTube are saying they only get 24 minutes. I find it hard to believe they could be 10 minutes short.

And what about the bigger battery that is supposed to give you 47 minutes. Does that mean you only get 37 minutes?

And finally, could some of you experts think of something you could remove or temporarily remove on the Mini3 that could help it make the 250 gram weight cutoff with the larger battery because I don't think the larger battery puts it over the weight limit by that much.

Richandhiscat Senior Member • Posts: 1,155
Re: DJI Mini3 battery only 24 minutes

Let mine hover inside the house to test the battery - 26 minutes (but I was recording 4k 50p video all that time), so in normal outside conditions 24 minutes would be about the max.

kikimora Regular Member • Posts: 176

That's about what I get, too – 22-24 minutes flight time.

Would likely be 29-30 minutes if I kept it flying until battery drops to 0 and the drone falls down.

Lensmate
Lensmate Veteran Member • Posts: 7,641

JohnHarlin wrote:

Can anyone who has the DJI mini3 confirm that they only get 24 minutes battery time instead of the 34 minutes stated. A lot of people on YouTube are saying they only get 24 minutes. I find it hard to believe they could be 10 minutes short.

And what about the bigger battery that is supposed to give you 47 minutes. Does that mean you only get 37 minutes?

And finally, could some of you experts think of something you could remove or temporarily remove on the Mini3 that could help it make the 250 gram weight cutoff with the larger battery because I don't think the larger battery puts it over the weight limit by that much.

Think of it in terms of petrol mileage for a vehicle rated by a particular car company. Under ideal conditions without hills and wind etc..etc..., compared to real life conditions with variables.

-M

Dericali Regular Member • Posts: 287

JohnHarlin wrote:

DJI drones are programmed to land with about 15-20% of the battery remaining. On the Mini 3 if you touch the battery icon it drops down to give 3 different battery times remaining, the shortest of these is the countdown to auto RTH, when 20% of battery is remaining. That is about 24 minutes from the start of your flight.

Absolutely not. I would just use the larger battery. What is the purpose for needing such a long flight?

OP JohnHarlin Regular Member • Posts: 238

Purpose is sense of security especially since I want to do some long flights to rock islands and light houses over the ocean as well as to inaccessible coves.

There is even a closed up coastside railroad tunnel that might be physically accessible but  I don't want to chance climbing to a place I have never seen or heard anyone go to. I'll let the Mini3 take the risk.

There is a light house a mile out that has a helicopter landing pad on top which I once saw a helicopter land. It is not usually used but I guess it was tested that day. I want to land on that pad with the Mini3 and then bring it back.

Lots of things you can do that you can't physically access and get rare and unique videos and photos in the process.

1.    Over the ocean, I would feel more secure with a longer battery. And I would never fly with a wind more than 5 miles per hour and only fly over the ocean very early in the morning when there are no winds and in remote spots where there are no people around to complain over one thing or another like I would be disturbing the birds, seals, fish or dolphins or spying on them or some other crap. I don't want to have another person within a mile of me when I fly.

Best way to avoid conflict is not giving anyone the chance to bring conflict around in the first place.

I have already seen some of this Mini3 conflict on YouTube like on Henrik's video.

JohnHarlin wrote:

Purpose is sense of security especially since I want to do some long flights to rock islands and light houses over the ocean as well as to inaccessible coves.

There is even a closed up coastside railroad tunnel that might be physically accessible but I don't want to chance climbing to a place I have never seen or heard anyone go to. I'll let the Mini3 take the risk.

There is a light house a mile out that has a helicopter landing pad on top which I once saw a helicopter land. It is not usually used but I guess it was tested that day. I want to land on that pad with the Mini3 and then bring it back.

Lots of things you can do that you can't physically access and get rare and unique videos and photos in the process.

1. Over the ocean, I would feel more secure with a longer battery. And I would never fly with a wind more than 5 miles per hour and only fly over the ocean very early in the morning when there are no winds and in remote spots where there are no people around to complain over one thing or another like I would be disturbing the birds, seals, fish or dolphins or spying on them or some other crap. I don't want to have another person within a mile of me when I fly.

Best way to avoid conflict is not giving anyone the chance to bring conflict around in the first place.

I have already seen some of this Mini3 conflict on YouTube like on Henrik's video.

In this scenario I wouldn't worry about the extra weight, just fly with the larger battery. Mavic 3 would likely be a better choice for this, though if you're very worried about other people then then the Mini 3 is very silent, above 100 metres it can barely be heard.

Boomanbb
Boomanbb Veteran Member • Posts: 3,188

I have read on drone forums that battery life is shorter when simply hovering vs actual flight. Some aerodynamic thing involved.

-- hide signature --

Ben Boozer
Disagree without being disagreeable

Boomanbb's gear list:Boomanbb's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M3 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +12 more
aSevenArr
aSevenArr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,208

JohnHarlin wrote:

I don't have that drone but I've never gotten what DJI claimed for any drone or any battery (now on my 3rd a Mavic 3).

My latest Mavic 3 usually wants to land around the 30-35 min mark and not the 45 mins or so claimed by DJI.

In any case your lithium batteries will live longer if you don't seriously drain them on every flight. Why push it?

There's some guy in Hawaii who does range tests and I've seen him go below 0% in some of his YT videos ... not a good thing for your batteries longevity however. Something I certainly wouldn't be testing any time soon with my own drones.

It's my understanding that lithium cells can be seriously damaged by deep discharging.

aSevenArr's gear list:aSevenArr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a9 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +13 more

It's my understanding that lithium cells can be seriously damaged by deep discharging.

Apparently if you want your electric cars battery to last you shouldn't let it go below 20% charge.

OP JohnHarlin Regular Member • Posts: 238

That would correlate with what Dericali said that the Mini3 is programmed to land with about 15-20% of the battery remaining, meaning they don't want to damage the battery.

However, I have on a number of occassions run my laptop battery down to zero without seeming to damage it. The fear may be on overblown.

JohnHarlin wrote:

That would correlate with what Dericali said that the Mini3 is programmed to land with about 15-20% of the battery remaining, meaning they don't want to damage the battery.

However, I have on a number of occassions run my laptop battery down to zero without seeming to damage it. The fear may be on overblown.

By damaging it, I'm fairly sure they mean reducing its life.

Lensmate

Richandhiscat wrote:

JohnHarlin wrote:

By damaging it, I'm fairly sure they mean reducing its life.

Exactly...don't expect to see long term use when you might need it.

-M

ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 2,315

JohnHarlin wrote:

What a device says about battery level and what the true battery level happens to be don't need to be the same thing.  Sophisticated devices like a laptop will have their own battery management software where the manufacturer decides how to balance running time with battery longevity.

I suspect DJI does the same thing, both through the battery itself and the device.  For instance, consider the auto discharge feature built into the Air 2S batteries.

For us consumers, the challenge is that we don't know if zero in our devices is really zero + 20% (or some other safety buffer) or not.  I suppose we could try to measure the voltage of a "fully discharged" battery?

ken_in_nh wrote:

JohnHarlin wrote:

What a device says about battery level and what the true battery level happens to be don't need to be the same thing. Sophisticated devices like a laptop will have their own battery management software where the manufacturer decides how to balance running time with battery longevity.

I suspect DJI does the same thing, both through the battery itself and the device. For instance, consider the auto discharge feature built into the Air 2S batteries.

For us consumers, the challenge is that we don't know if zero in our devices is really zero + 20% (or some other safety buffer) or not. I suppose we could try to measure the voltage of a "fully discharged" battery?

The main thing to focus on is the drone's actual behaviour once it drops below the 20% or 15% or 10% battery charge level, when the drone will try to auto land. What actually happens to your drone if you cancel auto land? Will you still be able to fly, and for how far? this information can be quite important to know if you're trying to get a drone home that is running out of battery, because you may be able to get more flight time than you actually think... but the only way to know is try fly your drone until it actually auto lands.

Lensmate

Dericali wrote:

ken_in_nh wrote:

JohnHarlin wrote:

What a device says about battery level and what the true battery level happens to be don't need to be the same thing. Sophisticated devices like a laptop will have their own battery management software where the manufacturer decides how to balance running time with battery longevity.

I suspect DJI does the same thing, both through the battery itself and the device. For instance, consider the auto discharge feature built into the Air 2S batteries.

For us consumers, the challenge is that we don't know if zero in our devices is really zero + 20% (or some other safety buffer) or not. I suppose we could try to measure the voltage of a "fully discharged" battery?

The main thing to focus on is the drone's actual behaviour once it drops below the 20% or 15% or 10% battery charge level, when the drone will try to auto land. What actually happens to your drone if you cancel auto land? Will you still be able to fly, and for how far? this information can be quite important to know if you're trying to get a drone home that is running out of battery, because you may be able to get more flight time than you actually think... but the only way to know is try fly your drone until it actually auto lands.

True.

The drone batteries can be highly unpredictable especially in cold weather. When a battery jumps suddenly to the low level and RTH is activated, you can still control the landing but the drone is still going to land whether you control it or not...

-M

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads