Most exciting news of the summit: the 56 1.2 mark ii

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
RobertMachin Contributing Member • Posts: 507
Most exciting news of the summit: the 56 1.2 mark ii

The original lens is sublime but with fiddly AF, hopefully this will get sorted out.

I still cant comprehend how they could come out with a camera that 2 times more expensive that the recently announced R7. 2times!!!

Same price as an A7iv, more expensive than R6, Z6ii (same size also)

Wow....

And with no information about the next H2 or the next T....

I wanted to get excited, but it's tough....

RobertMachin's gear list:RobertMachin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS RP Fujifilm X-H2S Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +17 more
Canon EOS R6 Ricoh Caplio R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,954
Re: Most exciting news of the summit: the 56 1.2 mark ii

RobertMachin wrote:

The original lens is sublime but with fiddly AF, hopefully this will get sorted out.

I still cant comprehend how they could come out with a camera that 2 times more expensive that the recently announced R7. 2times!!!

2500 vs. 1500 is less than 2 times.

Wow....

Seems you missed a lot, the H2 was a little bit detailed during the X Summit live event.

Ok...

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 70-300 F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 33mm F1.4 R LM WR +1 more
OP RobertMachin Contributing Member • Posts: 507

biza43 wrote:

RobertMachin wrote:

I'm referring to European prices (Scandinavian more precisely)

X-H2s 21999 dkk vs R7 11999 dkk

Sony RX100 III Canon EOS RP Fujifilm X-H2S Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +17 more
BeatX
BeatX Regular Member • Posts: 310

Yeah, Fujifilm goes crazy with those prices. Size, weight and price almost same as Z6Ii or A74. What is the point of buying APSC camera then? Because smaller lenses? Not so sure, when You see for example new and compact f/2 primes from Sigma.

-- hide signature --
 BeatX's gear list:BeatX's gear list
Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 33mm F1.4 R LM WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R LM WR
Zinch Senior Member • Posts: 1,083

BeatX wrote:

Yeah, Fujifilm goes crazy with those prices. Size, weight and price almost same as Z6Ii or A74. What is the point of buying APSC camera then? Because smaller lenses? Not so sure, when You see for example new and compact f/2 primes from Sigma.

The equivalent FF camera costs at least 5500$. There's the reason for an APS-C camera.

Zinch's gear list:Zinch's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 +3 more

RobertMachin wrote:

Wow....

I'm not in the market for the X-H2s, but I was and I am very excited by the news today.

The X-H2s shows a lot of commitment from Fuji. It is a beast of a camera with a competitive price point. Equivalent FF cameras cost north of 5.500$.

They also announced 2 new lenses and added 3 new lenses to the roadmap.

Fujifilm X-T4 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 +3 more
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 15,572

I was expecting absolutely nothing of interest to me personally at the summit, but, OK, I'm interested in the new 56. Either it will maintain the optical qualities of the original while improving the AF performance that always made me skeptical, or it will go off in the "modern" direction of huge and clinical, a lot of other people will like. Maybe that will drop the prices of the original on the secondhand market to a point where I will be able to justify meeting it where it is.

The 30mm macro I will have to think about for a while. My first thought was heck no, it will scare the bugs away to get that close, but my thoughts keep circling back. 45mm is a pretty nice field of view ...  I'm willing to learn more.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +20 more
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 15,572

My reason for a Fuji was always the shooting experience.  But these deep gripped cameras with PASM dials are far from the Fujis I love in that area.

-- hide signature --

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +20 more
OP RobertMachin Contributing Member • Posts: 507

Zinch wrote:

BeatX wrote:

The equivalent FF camera costs at least 5500$. There's the reason for an APS-C camera.

That's the marketing hype on the sensor....

I'm looking at it from a photographer standpoint. What does the stacked sensor bring the table. Potential AF.... But the canon R6 for example, with no stacked sensor had AF in a complete other league than any Fuji cameras.

RobertMachin wrote:

Zinch wrote:

BeatX wrote:

I'm looking at it from a photographer standpoint. What does the stacked sensor bring the table. Potential AF.... But the canon R6 for example, with no stacked sensor had AF in a complete other league than any Fuji cameras.

If you don't need what a stacked sensor has to offer, then you have the X-T4 for a similar price to the R7.

The AF is completely fine if you use LM lenses.

yayatosorus Senior Member • Posts: 1,928

RobertMachin wrote:

Zinch wrote:

BeatX wrote:

Have you tested both the R6 and a final production X-H2s side by side? Unless you did I'd say this is a rather unfounded and unfair statement.

yayatosorus's gear list:yayatosorus's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
FuzzyDice Contributing Member • Posts: 666

You do realize that Fuji will have 3 flagship bodies in the X-Line at any given time right?  
X-Pro for those rangefinder types.
X-Tx (X-T4) for the people who love all the manual controls in an SLR-style body.
T-Hx (X-H2s) for the video crowd.  
Sure the X-T4 can shoot awesome video, but it is a still camera first.  
Anyway, the point is that is a Fuji flagship body and the Canon R10 is not.

FuzzyDice's gear list:FuzzyDice's gear list
Fujifilm X-H2S Fujifilm X-H2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +3 more
Flying Fijian Senior Member • Posts: 1,592

yayatosorus wrote:

RobertMachin wrote:

Zinch wrote:

BeatX wrote:

Have you tested both the R6 and a final production X-H2s side by side? Unless you did I'd say this is a rather unfounded and unfair statement.

AF seems pretty decent according to Taylor Jackson: https://youtu.be/Jxi_Od0GrcM

It can only get better with firmware updates...it is very tempting!

Flying Fijian's gear list:Flying Fijian's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm X-H2S Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +12 more

RobertMachin wrote:

biza43 wrote:

RobertMachin wrote:

I'm referring to European prices (Scandinavian more precisely)

X-H2s 21999 dkk vs R7 11999 dkk

Still less than 2 times.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 70-300 F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 33mm F1.4 R LM WR +1 more

BeatX wrote:

Specification of new X-H2S is superior in many aspects.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

GossCTP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,171

yardcoyote wrote:

I was expecting absolutely nothing of interest to me personally at the summit, but, OK, I'm interested in the new 56. Either it will maintain the optical qualities of the original while improving the AF performance that always made me skeptical, or it will go off in the "modern" direction of huge and clinical, a lot of other people will like. Maybe that will drop the prices of the original on the secondhand market to a point where I will be able to justify meeting it where it is.

The 30mm macro I will have to think about for a while. My first thought was heck no, it will scare the bugs away to get that close, but my thoughts keep circling back. 45mm is a pretty nice field of view ... I'm willing to learn more.

I expect it is more in line with the Pentax 35mm macro limited - a normal walk around prime with extreme close focus ability. I don't think too many would pack it for shooting bugs, but in everyday shooting you would never have to worry about seeing that red exclaimation mark in the viewfinder.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

"Law and order" is anathema to liberty and justice.

GossCTP's gear list:GossCTP's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 II Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +8 more

RobertMachin wrote:

Zinch wrote:

BeatX wrote:

From the examples thus far, seems like the hype is justified.

I'm looking at it from a photographer standpoint. What does the stacked sensor bring the table. Potential AF....

Fuji have been criticized by not catching up in terms of AF performance. Now that they have, it is hype...  Fuji state that the new camera allows AF 30x faster then with previous cameras. Sony have been using BSI for a long time, with success.

But the canon R6 for example, with no stacked sensor had AF in a complete other league than any Fuji cameras.

Up until the X-H2S.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

GossCTP wrote:

yardcoyote wrote:

The 30mm macro I will have to think about for a while. My first thought was heck no, it will scare the bugs away to get that close, but my thoughts keep circling back. 45mm is a pretty nice field of view ... I'm willing to learn more.

I expect it is more in line with the Pentax 35mm macro limited - a normal walk around prime with extreme close focus ability. I don't think too many would pack it for shooting bugs, but in everyday shooting you would never have to worry about seeing that red exclaimation mark in the viewfinder.

Funny, I also remembered that lens. I used it 10 years ago on a Pentax K5. Great little lens.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

GossCTP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,171

I don't really get the excitement. Between all the Fuji and third party options at the 50ish range, one could be forgiven in thinking it was a lineup for a '70s SLR.

-- hide signature --

"Law and order" is anathema to liberty and justice.

GossCTP's gear list:GossCTP's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 II Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +8 more
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 813

I hate "mk II" designations... why didn't they just make the new 56 a f1.4, like all the other new models, and skip the MK II baloney ?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads