Nikon FM2n - DOF lever pressed while shutter pressed and fired, bad?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
brianatkinsphoto New Member • Posts: 1
Nikon FM2n - DOF lever pressed while shutter pressed and fired, bad?

howdy dudes,

Quick random question about operating the FM2n's DOF lever and shutter button simultaneously. I have a 50mm 1.4 ai-s lens paired up with the body and have only owned the camera for a few weeks. I got it "new" from a local shop and it works great and the few rolls Ive put through it came out delicious.

I was framing a shot, pressed and held the DOF lever in, and pressed the shutter button(shutter fired) while still holding the DOF lever down. When the shutter fired the lever did pop back up against my finger to its unpressed position and stayed there. Camera operates as it should as far as I can tell. DOF lever works fine and when taking a photo the lens aperture stops down, then opens back up as it should. Does anyone know if it's bad to do as I described or could damage any of the moving parts? I have yet to get the film back that was in the camera when I took this shot. I dont think keeping the DOF lever pressed in and then firing the shutter did anything bad per say, but I am curious. The official manual for the FM2 states: "release the lever when you depress the shutter release button," so I'm not sure why they warn against not having the lever held in when firing the shutter. Fairly sure the camera is fine, really just looking for more info as to how it works and why it appears to be best practice to not have the DOF lever held in when firing the shutter.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Tomm111 Senior Member • Posts: 1,848
Re: Nikon FM2n - DOF lever pressed while shutter pressed and fired, bad?

This shouldn't be a problem, while firing the shutter the aperture on the lens is closed down, it doesn't go beyond the chosen fstop, so everything  should be fine.

Tomm111's gear list:Tomm111's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D300 Leica CL Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +18 more
commiebiker
commiebiker Veteran Member • Posts: 3,169
Re: Nikon FM2n - DOF lever pressed while shutter pressed and fired, bad?

Tomm111 wrote:

This shouldn't be a problem, while firing the shutter the aperture on the lens is closed down, it doesn't go beyond the chosen fstop, so everything should be fine.

The camera and lens have a mechanism to allow viewing and focusing with the lens wide open.  The DOF button disengages this to allowing view at the selected aperture

While I agree it shouldn't cause any problems, I don't think I would make a habit of it.

commiebiker's gear list:commiebiker's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sony a7S Sony a7R II +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads