Is this the natural look of a Canon Canonet 28 iris\shutter at f5.6?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
rick6 New Member • Posts: 10
Is this the natural look of a Canon Canonet 28 iris\shutter at f5.6?

Hi everyone!

I just bought a Canon Canonet 28 as a gift to my wife from ebay in perfect cosmetic condition which should also be in perfect working order, but something is bugging me.

While i was testing the camera without film, i've noticed that the iris makes an odd shape when taking a photo. since it happens so fast i decided to film it with my smartphone and then printscreen the exact frame of the video where it happened, and there you go:

Seems like one of the blades isn't working correctly, or am i wrong and this is the right shape of the shutter when taking a foto? (this was at f5.6). The shape is proportional to the f-stop as it should be.

If so it should make some interesting bokeh shapes :/

This is how it looks when not taking a photo:

I'm not even sure how to tell this to the seller as this happens so fast and it's so hard to catch, that I'm almost certain he will say he has never noticed this

Overrank
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 4,485
Re: Is this the natural look of a Canon Canonet 28 iris\shutter at f5.6?

I've certainly had one or more cameras from that period with that type of aperture.  I don't have a Canonet 28 any more but I've just checked my  Electro 35 and Trip aren't like that so it could well be the Canonet.  This discussion on Flickr ( https://www.flickr.com/groups/99255945@N00/discuss/72157594378709026/ ) talks about it as a teardrop or diamond which is pretty much like yours.

OP rick6 New Member • Posts: 10
Re: Is this the natural look of a Canon Canonet 28 iris\shutter at f5.6?

Thank you. As the person in that thread said, you made my day!

Seems that the shutter from the QL is different from the canonet 28, I didn't know that and seeing some QL's on YouTube made me think my canonet was broken.

Now we're just going to try a roll with a 1.5v alternative battery and see how it works.

Overrank
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 4,485
Re: Is this the natural look of a Canon Canonet 28 iris\shutter at f5.6?

rick6 wrote:

Thank you. As the person in that thread said, you made my day!

Seems that the shutter from the QL is different from the canonet 28, I didn't know that and seeing some QL's on YouTube made me think my canonet was broken.

Now we're just going to try a roll with a 1.5v alternative battery and see how it works.

A few years ago I had a QL 17 and a Canonet 28 at the same time and I actually preferred the 28. So long as the meter is working they are a great little camera - I found them easier to focus than the QL.

Good luck with yours !

lmans100
lmans100 Senior Member • Posts: 1,121
Re: Is this the natural look of a Canon Canonet 28 iris\shutter at f5.6?

Overrank wrote:

rick6 wrote:

Thank you. As the person in that thread said, you made my day!

Seems that the shutter from the QL is different from the canonet 28, I didn't know that and seeing some QL's on YouTube made me think my canonet was broken.

Now we're just going to try a roll with a 1.5v alternative battery and see how it works.

A few years ago I had a QL 17 and a Canonet 28 at the same time and I actually preferred the 28. So long as the meter is working they are a great little camera - I found them easier to focus than the QL.

Good luck with yours !

Both of these cameras are tough to focus due to the rangefinder and smaller view finder on these. But good cameras. I seem to remember that 'odd' triangle as you have shown in your image. I don't have mine anymore but that might be how it all 'shuttered' out. Take a small roll of 24 and see how it turns out. You might notice at that time some other issues such as the light seals etc.    I am not sure where you picked it up at but many times these older cameras come over from Japan and they do an excellent job of making them look cosmetically wonderful but not always a CLA....      But a great camera and quite a cult following, jim

-- hide signature --
 lmans100's gear list:lmans100's gear list
Leica X2 Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Ricoh GR II Ricoh GR III Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH +5 more
Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 9,919
Re: Is this the natural look of a Canon Canonet 28 iris\shutter at f5.6?
1

Brilliant job with your smart phone.

Does the camera have a B shutter function and the ability to change aperture.  That would be an interesting way to test.

Glad to hear love for the Canonet 28.  Still a fan of the Canonet GIII 1.9.  This was another example of the triumph of consumerism.  Great mass production product.

KCK14 Senior Member • Posts: 1,274
Re: Is this the natural look of a Canon Canonet 28 iris\shutter at f5.6?
2

This is normal. The 28 only has one set of blades. They form the aperture and also function as the shutter since they fully cap when closed.   Unlike a normal leaf shutter with a set of blades for the shutter speed and a separate set for a roundish f-sop opening.

 KCK14's gear list:KCK14's gear list
Nikon D7000 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro
Bob Janes
Bob Janes Veteran Member • Posts: 4,984
Re: Is this the natural look of a Canon Canonet 28 iris\shutter at f5.6?
2

rick6 wrote:

Thank you. As the person in that thread said, you made my day!

Seems that the shutter from the QL is different from the canonet 28, I didn't know that and seeing some QL's on YouTube made me think my canonet was broken.

Now we're just going to try a roll with a 1.5v alternative battery and see how it works.

This is normal for programmed shutter cameras. Sometimes the aperture can be quite freaky shapes.

It actually means that is some instances they can offer higher shutter speeds than the 'normal' 1/500 you get with a seperate leaf shutter and diaphragm setup - mainly bacuase the shutter does not have to open up fully for the highest speeds - instead it opens a tiny hole for a shorter time.

Bokeh doesn't tend to suffer too much - partly because the lenses are so wide that wildly OoF highlights are not common, plus the shutter-diaphragm is moving throughout the exposure, so you don't get sharp diaphragm outlines like you would with a seperate setup.

-- hide signature --

Save a life, become a stem-cell donor.
Hello to Jason Isaacs!
https://bobjanes.smugmug.com/PoTB/
Please respect a BY-NC-ND cc licence on all my public internet images

OP rick6 New Member • Posts: 10
Re: Is this the natural look of a Canon Canonet 28 iris\shutter at f5.6?

Thank you all for the input.

Even though this was bough as a gift for my wife, i'm enjoying as well!

I've seen some pretty nice pictures online taken with it, the optics seem to be quite nice.

I'm just taking a first risk here wasting a roll without a proper battery and not changing the light seals, although they seemed quite ok.

Great little rangefinder overall!

Bob Janes
Bob Janes Veteran Member • Posts: 4,984
Re: Is this the natural look of a Canon Canonet 28 iris\shutter at f5.6?

rick6 wrote:

Thank you all for the input.

Even though this was bough as a gift for my wife, i'm enjoying as well!

I've seen some pretty nice pictures online taken with it, the optics seem to be quite nice.

I'm just taking a first risk here wasting a roll without a proper battery and not changing the light seals, although they seemed quite ok.

Great little rangefinder overall!

It is a very decent little rangefinder. I had one for years in the back of a cupboard and was very impressed when I finally put a film through it. I even wrote a review of it for 35mmc ( https://www.35mmc.com/22/06/2021/canonet-28-review-the-modest-canon-by-bob-janes/ ).

Later on I was doing an experiment for 35mmc of sending a camera around the world - I chose an old Canonet, but the response to take part was so great that I ended up sending the Canonet 28 around as well. Because of that my Canonet 28 is somewhere in the US at present, but it has produced some interesting shots - https://www.35mmc.com/17/04/2022/the-travelling-canonet-canonet-28-roll-1/

-- hide signature --

Save a life, become a stem-cell donor.
Hello to Jason Isaacs!
https://bobjanes.smugmug.com/PoTB/
Please respect a BY-NC-ND cc licence on all my public internet images

Overrank
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 4,485
Re: Is this the natural look of a Canon Canonet 28 iris\shutter at f5.6?
1

Bob Janes wrote:

rick6 wrote:

Thank you all for the input.

Even though this was bough as a gift for my wife, i'm enjoying as well!

I've seen some pretty nice pictures online taken with it, the optics seem to be quite nice.

I'm just taking a first risk here wasting a roll without a proper battery and not changing the light seals, although they seemed quite ok.

Great little rangefinder overall!

It is a very decent little rangefinder. I had one for years in the back of a cupboard and was very impressed when I finally put a film through it. I even wrote a review of it for 35mmc ( https://www.35mmc.com/22/06/2021/canonet-28-review-the-modest-canon-by-bob-janes/ ).

The only thing to be careful of with the Canonet 28 if you’re buying one is that the meter absolutely must work. Without it there’s no realistic manual override. Consequently it also needs a battery, although when I owned one I found the meter didn’t seem too choosy about the battery voltage.

Later on I was doing an experiment for 35mmc of sending a camera around the world - I chose an old Canonet, but the response to take part was so great that I ended up sending the Canonet 28 around as well. Because of that my Canonet 28 is somewhere in the US at present, but it has produced some interesting shots - https://www.35mmc.com/17/04/2022/the-travelling-canonet-canonet-28-roll-1/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads