Battery-grip draining batteries when camera is turned off

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Polybazze
Polybazze Contributing Member • Posts: 735
Battery-grip draining batteries when camera is turned off

I have an XT-2 with an additional battery grip. When turned off the in-camera battery isn’t used but the one in the grip is drained overnight.

I’ve tried two different Fuji batteries and a 3rd party battery. I’ve tried both with boost on and off. Same result.

I’ve had an XT-1 with a battery grip and didn’t experience the problem,

Any suggestions what to do?

Thanks!

Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 29,621
Re: Battery-grip draining batteries when camera is turned off

Polybazze wrote:

I have an XT-2 with an additional battery grip. When turned off the in-camera battery isn’t used but the one in the grip is drained overnight.

I’ve tried two different Fuji batteries and a 3rd party battery. I’ve tried both with boost on and off. Same result.

I’ve had an XT-1 with a battery grip and didn’t experience the problem,

Any suggestions what to do?

Thanks!

What happens if you remove the grip and leave it over night?

You might want to try a settings reset though I suspect something more serious is going on.  Also try a different battery in the body and no battery in the body.

Good luck,

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-H2S Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II XF 90mm +11 more
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 813

Get rid of the power grip and see what happens to the in-camera battery.

Polybazze
OP Polybazze Contributing Member • Posts: 735

Jean Lestrale wrote:

That is not the problem - only the battery in the grip is drained.

Morris0

Polybazze wrote:

Jean Lestrale wrote:

You will never solve your problem if you don't experiment.

Morris

Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-H2S Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II XF 90mm +11 more
B L R Forum Member • Posts: 83

Check this thread.

X-T2 Battery Drain

B L R's gear list:B L R's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S9000 Zoom Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm X30 Pentax K10D +26 more
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 813

Morris outlined a good problem-solving approach, in terms of trying various things to locate the source of the problem... all I can add is that there's no way a battery should be drained overnight so there's something wrong somewhere.

If it's the grip (that sounds most likely) at least you can still use the camera without it !

Polybazze

Morris0 wrote:

Polybazze wrote:

Jean Lestrale wrote:

You will never solve your problem if you don't experiment.

Morris

I've alredy done this test - in-camera battery works as expected regardless if the grip is attached or not.

Polybazze

B L R wrote:

Check this thread.

X-T2 Battery Drain

Thanks but only the battery in the grip is drained. The in-camera one works as expected regardless if the grip is attached or notw.

Polybazze

Jean Lestrale wrote:

Morris outlined a good problem-solving approach, in terms of trying various things to locate the source of the problem... all I can add is that there's no way a battery should be drained overnight so there's something wrong somewhere.

If it's the grip (that sounds most likely) at least you can still use the camera without it !

Agree - I've done all kinds of tests to narrow down the problem. The in-camera battery works as expected regardless if the grip is attached or not. Only the battery in the grip is drained.

Morris0

Polybazze wrote:

Jean Lestrale wrote:

Morris outlined a good problem-solving approach, in terms of trying various things to locate the source of the problem... all I can add is that there's no way a battery should be drained overnight so there's something wrong somewhere.

Agree - I've done all kinds of tests to narrow down the problem. The in-camera battery works as expected regardless if the grip is attached or not. Only the battery in the grip is drained.

Clean the contacts on the body first and if that dose not do it clean the tips of the pins on the grip.  If that dose not fix it, then keep the grip off when not in use.

Morris

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads