British Isles Explorer -anyone take this cruise?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Jim Cummings Regular Member • Posts: 369
British Isles Explorer -anyone take this cruise?

Taking the Viking British Isles Explorer this summer, starting in Norway, ending in London. Wonder if anyone has taken this and any comments (particularly photographic) you might have. Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Jim Cummings's gear list:Jim Cummings's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VA Sony a6600 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN | C (X-mount)
Richard B.
Richard B. Veteran Member • Posts: 5,894
Re: British Isles Explorer -anyone take this cruise?

Hi Jim,

I did most of the reverse version of that cruise (London to Bergen) a couple of years ago. We actually left the cruise early, but I can offer comments on the London to Belfast segment.

In general, most of the day trips from the ship are timed for the middle of the day, so you likely won't get too much in the way of interesting light.

Greenwich: The Royal Observatory, Naval Museum and the Cutty Sark. Plenty of interesting museum style stuff.

Dover: Dover Castle and Canterbury Cathedral, great medieval architecture. We arrived at Dover overnight and they did hold the ship just outside the harbor, so we got some nice early morning light on the cliffs of Dover.

Dublin, great walking city, interesting architecture, excellent museums. I am not sure what they might be offering for excursions, but if they offer a trip to the medieval city of Glendalough, it is worth the visit. You should have the opportunity for some dock pictures from the ship as you arrive/depart Dublin

Holyhead: We took the excursion to Beaumaris Castle, excellent castle, nice little village to explore. The excursion was only half a day, so my wife and I stayed longer and made out own way back to the ship by taxi.

Liverpool: Plenty of Beatles stuff (which my wife did), I stayed in the dock area, plenty of interesting architecture and museums.

Belfast: We took the excursion to the Giants Causeway, but it was middle of day light and crawling with people.

We left the cruise in Belfast due to the prospect of severe weather the next day. (Neither my wife or self enjoy rough seas!) We went back to Dublin for a couple of days and then took a plane to Bergen. Bergen is a great walking city, especially the old wooden section. The harbor is in the middle of the town. If they offer a fjord cruise, it is well worth it.

If interested I have some galleries from that trip at

https://www.rbpics.com/Britain/Greenwich-to-Bergen/i-6mQJ2kh

https://www.rbpics.com/Europe-and-Asia/Dublin-and-Wicklow/

https://www.rbpics.com/Europe-and-Asia/Bergen-Norway/

-- hide signature --
 Richard B.'s gear list:Richard B.'s gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +7 more
OP Jim Cummings Regular Member • Posts: 369
Re: British Isles Explorer -anyone take this cruise?

Very nice shots. One thing about the UK - all those clouds give nice uniform lighting! That shot with the lone sailboat would be on my wall. Thanks for the tips!

-- hide signature --

Jim

Jim Cummings's gear list:Jim Cummings's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VA Sony a6600 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN | C (X-mount)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads