The Light Stalker
The Light Stalker Contributing Member • Posts: 934
32×48″ Wet Plate Camera with Bus Darkroom

Photographer Bill Hao from Vancouver, Canada

Interesting read with videos.

-- hide signature --

The Light Stalker

The Light Stalker's gear list:The Light Stalker's gear list
Hasselblad X1D II 50C Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +24 more
Tomm111 Senior Member • Posts: 1,852
Re: 32×48″ Wet Plate Camera with Bus Darkroom

When ever I think wet plate I think Carlton Watkins, an 18x24 camera. He had 9 people 3 wagons and a few mules to photograph Yosemite in the1850s, 60s. Now someone works on his own a much bigger camera and a big Prevost bus for a darkroom. Living a dream.

Tomm111's gear list:Tomm111's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D300 Leica CL Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +18 more
Bags27 Senior Member • Posts: 1,722

The Light Stalker wrote:

Photographer Bill Hao from Vancouver, Canada

Interesting read with videos.

That's amazing! Thanks!!

“I’m not saying that the old process is better than digital,” Hao tells PetaPixel. “Of course, today’s digital technology is simple, fast, and great. But for me, the image capture techniques of the old days, especially the wet collodion process, offer better quality, more tone, more detail, and a larger format.

“An image made with the old process looks more realistic…and can be preserved for longer. More importantly, I like it.”

well, actually, he is saying the old process is better. 

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 9,944

Still surprised that the negatives we have been seeing from these modern wet plate photographers don't have better tonal range and definition, even if the emulsion is orthochromatic?

Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 3,067

Bags27 wrote:

More importantly, I like it.”

Best reason right there!

Aaron

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads