Best third-party extension tubes?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
skinner1215
skinner1215 New Member • Posts: 13
Best third-party extension tubes?

I'd like to play around with macro photography, but since it's just for myself right now I don't need to drop the coin on the Canon tubes. Anybody have experiences to share, good or bad?

In case it matters, I'm shooting a 70D or 80D. I'll probably just start with my 50mm 1.8.

Thanks!

skinner1215's gear list:skinner1215's gear list
Canon EOS 80D
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rsn Contributing Member • Posts: 784
Re: Best third-party extension tubes?

You can check out the JJC extension tubes or the Viltrox linked below. The JJC are more expensive. Just make sure you get autofocus ability. However having said that, in true macro work, you turn autofocus off and move your body with the camera in manual focus when working with your subjects.

Extension tubes are just hollow as I'm sure you know so there is no sharper extension tubes versus less sharp extension tubes.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1456815-REG/viltrox_dg_c_three_tube_extension_set.html

rsn's gear list:rsn's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +11 more
skinner1215
OP skinner1215 New Member • Posts: 13

Extension tubes are just hollow as I'm sure you know so there is no sharper extension tubes versus less sharp extension tubes.

Thanks for the info. It seems the big difference is in fit and finish; some reviews state that people get loose connections that leave gaps. I think I'll probably pick up the Viltrox and make sure everything functions the say it should. I'm not shy about returning things that don't meet expectations.

skinner1215's gear list:skinner1215's gear list
Canon EOS 80D
KenMT Regular Member • Posts: 170

You will need extension tubes that allow the camera to communicate with the lens, otherwise you will not be able to get the correct exposure eg aperature and time.

KenMT's gear list:KenMT's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +7 more
WindwardHaole
WindwardHaole Senior Member • Posts: 1,511

Fotodiox Pro extension tubes have electrical contacts and are of good quality.

WindwardHaole's gear list:WindwardHaole's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads