Alternatives to the Canon R6 ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
mangurian Senior Member • Posts: 1,015
Alternatives to the Canon R6 ?

I am leaning towards the R6 because of familiarity with Canon and the R6 focus stacking.   Is there something better at $2499 ?

Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Martin_99 Senior Member • Posts: 3,740
Re: Alternatives to the Canon R6 ?

mangurian wrote:

I am leaning towards the R6 because of familiarity with Canon and the R6 focus stacking. Is there something better at $2499 ?

Not sure if better, but of course alternatives from other brands like Sony A7IV, Nikon Z6II, Panasonic S1..

What lenses do you plan to purchase? Do you plan to adapt some EF lenses?

 Martin_99's gear list:Martin_99's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN | C (X-mount) Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS +2 more
Ilford Fujifilm Forum Member • Posts: 74
Re: Alternatives to the Canon R6 ?

That's what the reviews are for!

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-r6-review/9

You didn't mention your use case at all.

So basically R6 is:

- more expensive

- less MP than competition

- not good for video

- smaller lens line-up

- good handling

- good AF

OP mangurian Senior Member • Posts: 1,015
Re: Alternatives to the Canon R6 ?

- smaller lens line-up

?  smaller than what ?

Ilford Fujifilm Forum Member • Posts: 74
Re: Alternatives to the Canon R6 ?

Did you read the review page?

OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 7,521
Nikon Z6ii
1

i got the Nikon Z6ii because i liked the lens lineup.  how good the low light performance is. But also that the full frame lenses i get I can also use on my Nikon Z50 which is APSC for more reach.   Canon does not offer an R mount compatible APSC camera.  what they have is the M line for APSC that can’t use R mount lenses.

 OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +27 more
Ido Scharf
Ido Scharf Veteran Member • Posts: 5,184
Re: Alternatives to the Canon R6 ?

The buying guide covers this. Basically, its main competitors are the Sony a7 IV and Nikon Z6 II. There's also the Panasonic Lumix S5, and there are more cameras in other formats.

Can't definitively say one is better than the others. You should first look at the system, see if it has the lenses you want to use and can afford. Then look for specific features that matter to you; for example, I prefer cameras with fully articulated screens over those with a tilting screen. Visit a store, if you can, to try the cameras in-hand before choosing one; if a camera feels awkward and uncomfortable to hold and operate, that's a red flag.

 Ido Scharf's gear list:Ido Scharf's gear list
Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4
OP mangurian Senior Member • Posts: 1,015
Re: Alternatives to the Canon R6 ?

Ido Scharf wrote:

The buying guide covers this. Basically, its main competitors are the Sony a7 IV and Nikon Z6 II. There's also the Panasonic Lumix S5, and there are more cameras in other formats.

Can't definitively say one is better than the others. You should first look at the system, see if it has the lenses you want to use and can afford. Then look for specific features that matter to you; for example, I prefer cameras with fully articulated screens over those with a tilting screen. Visit a store, if you can, to try the cameras in-hand before choosing one; if a camera feels awkward and uncomfortable to hold and operate, that's a red flag.

Good advice.  thanks

evetsf Senior Member • Posts: 1,684
Re: Alternatives to the Canon R6 ?

mangurian wrote:

Ido Scharf wrote:

The buying guide covers this. Basically, its main competitors are the Sony a7 IV and Nikon Z6 II. There's also the Panasonic Lumix S5, and there are more cameras in other formats.

Can't definitively say one is better than the others. You should first look at the system, see if it has the lenses you want to use and can afford. Then look for specific features that matter to you; for example, I prefer cameras with fully articulated screens over those with a tilting screen. Visit a store, if you can, to try the cameras in-hand before choosing one; if a camera feels awkward and uncomfortable to hold and operate, that's a red flag.

Good advice. thanks

And, if you don't have a local retail store where you can try these out, consider renting your final candidates. LensRentals should have all of the options listed in the thread.

That's how I chose my current kit. Did my research, but needed to confirm that my choice was indeed valid. The nearest "local" store is two hours away. A week's rental of camera & lenses from LensRentals showed that it would indeed fill my needs, and was certainly a much more thorough trial than what could have been achieved with a store visit.

-- hide signature --

Steve
48-75North.zonerama.com
- The Hierarchy Approves -
All rights reserved for any images in my Gallery or included in a message. Specific exceptions may be granted upon request.

 evetsf's gear list:evetsf's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +3 more
beagle1 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,584
Re: Alternatives to the Canon R6 ?

mangurian wrote:

I am leaning towards the R6 because of familiarity with Canon and the R6 focus stacking. Is there something better at $2499 ?

probably not - if you already own Canon lenses

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads