So I contacted Peak Design and PolarPro about the same problem...

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
neod Regular Member • Posts: 140
So I contacted Peak Design and PolarPro about the same problem...

I recently inherited two camera strap clips from a friend: a Peak Design Capture and a PolarPro Traverse. Unfortunately, he didn't save the longer hex screws for the Capture and had switched the Traverse to the shorter thumb screws to fit on his thin backpack strap without sticking out, and my thick straps definitely needed the longest screws available.

So, my idea was that of course these screws aren't custom size, they have to be US standard imperial or metric size and all I need to do is ask each company which size screws they use so I can just pick them up on the cheap at my local HD or Lowes, or if not, perhaps I can just buy couple from them?

Peak Design:

• I clicked the support page and found the chat button.
  • No wait on chat... I asked my question and was told they are M8
  • "But wait a sec... we can just mail you some, here, use these code to order them for free" (I am paraphrasing.)
  • Order placed while I am still on chat and I profusely thank the rep for his help!

PolarPro:

• Support page has 3 options...
  • #1 Chat: The chat button didn't work; I tried multiple browsers and no luck.
  • #2 Email: I email and got a canned response that tickets are responded to "within 12 hours"... but I don't hear back until around the 36 hour mark, basically get told that the Traverse fits all size straps ("1-15mm thick") and they kinda ignore my question about either getting the size of the screws or if I can buy a pair from them.
  • #3 Phone: I call (3 times!) and give up after being on hold for up to 20 minutes without anyone picking up...

To me, both of these manufacturers / direct retailers make high quality but very expensive stuff. I do own a couple of PolarPro filters, one of which is more expensive than my 50mm lens! I don't own any Peak Design gear, because I have also thought that their accessory stuff is just too expensive for me. In either case, I don't think it's much to expect a decent level of support... but one company far exceeded my expectations and the other just disappointed me.

Just sharing my experience. Thanks for reading!

neod's gear list:neod's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a7 III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +2 more
vundere Regular Member • Posts: 187
Re: So I contacted Peak Design and PolarPro about the same problem...

This is something fairly important to me; I constantly see people talk about how you can get the same for half the price on Amazon or whatever, but nobody considers anything beyond that.
Peak Design is a great example here; they make lots of well-made stuff with plenty of copycats.

Obviously they can do it cheaper; PD already did the R&D and initial marketing of the concept for them, cheaper options just piggyback off that.
PD also seems to put a lot of effort into support; from informational videos showing the features of their gear, to direct customer support.

I wish more people at least considered this when making their choice. Not saying that you should never get the cheaper option; as long as you make that choice conscious of what it entails, I have no issues with it.

vundere's gear list:vundere's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Sony a7R IIIA Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 +5 more
OP neod Regular Member • Posts: 140

I profess that I've never purchased any Peak Design gear, except for hand-me-down and gifted items like the Capture. I do agree that this experience left a great view of the company in my mind, and while I still can't justify buying their tripod, I may consider their offering in the future.

Fujifilm X100V Sony a7 III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +2 more
Dan W Senior Member • Posts: 1,147

neod wrote:

I recently inherited two camera strap clips from a friend: a Peak Design Capture and a PolarPro Traverse. Unfortunately, he didn't save the longer hex screws for the Capture and had switched the Traverse to the shorter thumb screws to fit on his thin backpack strap without sticking out, and my thick straps definitely needed the longest screws available.

So, my idea was that of course these screws aren't custom size, they have to be US standard imperial or metric size and all I need to do is ask each company which size screws they use so I can just pick them up on the cheap at my local HD or Lowes, or if not, perhaps I can just buy couple from them?

Peak Design:

• I clicked the support page and found the chat button.
  • No wait on chat... I asked my question and was told they are M8
  • "But wait a sec... we can just mail you some, here, use these code to order them for free" (I am paraphrasing.)
  • Order placed while I am still on chat and I profusely thank the rep for his help!

PolarPro:

• Support page has 3 options...
  • #1 Chat: The chat button didn't work; I tried multiple browsers and no luck.
  • #2 Email: I email and got a canned response that tickets are responded to "within 12 hours"... but I don't hear back until around the 36 hour mark, basically get told that the Traverse fits all size straps ("1-15mm thick") and they kinda ignore my question about either getting the size of the screws or if I can buy a pair from them.
  • #3 Phone: I call (3 times!) and give up after being on hold for up to 20 minutes without anyone picking up...

To me, both of these manufacturers / direct retailers make high quality but very expensive stuff. I do own a couple of PolarPro filters, one of which is more expensive than my 50mm lens! I don't own any Peak Design gear, because I have also thought that their accessory stuff is just too expensive for me. In either case, I don't think it's much to expect a decent level of support... but one company far exceeded my expectations and the other just disappointed me.

Just sharing my experience. Thanks for reading!

I have a peak design shoulder strap and a hand strap form them. Both I like a lot because it takes just seconds to switch one out for the other. The only issue I have with the shoulder strap is its made out of the same stuff a common seatbelt is made from (soft and wide, thats a good thing) but they sandwich a padding around the middle that makes it really stiff in that area so when packing it in your bag while attached to the body, it get kinda funny trying to get it packed in a tight bag. a small but real issue for me. But not enough issue to not use it when I want a shoulder strap. The hand strap I love and stays on my camera 80% to 90% of the time. Its comfortable, allows me to have a lot of the weight distributed to the back of my hand instead of grip fatigue with heave f/2.8 zooms or my 100-500 zoom.

Dan W's gear list:Dan W's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +3 more
SDreamer Regular Member • Posts: 108

I feel that older manufacturers and companies are going to find themselves at a disadvantage with newer companies like Peak Design really addressing the hidden elephant in the room, customer service. I've had a few things from Peak Design before in the past, and their customer has been stellar. It's no wonder they've basically become the Apple experience in camera accessories. The sad part of it is, you have smaller companies trying to piggy back off their success such as Polar Pro, offering similar equipment, but not following up with customer service as you've experienced. Then there's the old dogs such as Lowepro, who's product design seems to be keeping up to 1-2 steps behind, but again their customer service is still a bit lacking. We're at the point that products are no longer just a product, but a buy in to a community and platform in a way. When you have a Peak Design product you're join hundreds of others, and their customer service seems to just recognize the customer as a customer, not as a number. Even though I no longer have anymore Peak Design products, my next purchase is going to them most likely after trying others and having a similar experience to yours.

SDreamer's gear list:SDreamer's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M5 III OM-1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +8 more
OP neod Regular Member • Posts: 140

Just a quick update on my attempts to get an answer from PolarPro:

• After I was [incorrectly] told in the initial email response from their customer support that the Traverse clip only comes with one set of screws, I repeated my request because there is plenty of evidence on YouTube and their own documentation that it comes with two sets.
  • Two days later I got another response... again telling me that it only comes with a single pair of screws.
  • So this time, I sent the support team links to their own documentation (from their website!) and their paid promotional video reviews on YouTube all noting the extra screws. For good measure, I copied their CS lead and their CEO.

Meanwhile, because I didn't expect to get anywhere with PolarPro given their clueless first response, I went to Home Depot and used their screw measuring holes to find out that the screw size for the Traverse is #M4-0.7. I bought a baggie of two socket-head M4 screws for $1.30 and some rubber washers. So for anyone with the same question... there you go!

18mm long M4 screws with rubber washers.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads