Need opinions about FZ80 rattling-buzzing spring-like sound when camera is tapped, powered on or off

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
RD Lumix New Member • Posts: 19
Need opinions about FZ80 rattling-buzzing spring-like sound when camera is tapped, powered on or off

Hello fellow Lumix lovers,

Firstly, I received a new FZ300 from BH Photo. It looks very good. But here is the rest of the story:

I could really use opinions on the second FZ80 I just got yesterday from BH Photo, exactly like the first which I previously returned. This one, like the first, was not secured in the Panasonic box such that it was turned 180 degrees which meant the box top was not folded down onto the grip. Hence it was bouncing and the lens tube end was hammering the box top. You can see the exaggerated imprint in the Styro paper wrapping and even indentation in the long cardboard flap. The neckstap and accessories were all loose in the bottom. The photos are of the second one I got yesterday.

I returned the first (packed exactly the same way) because I thought it was reboxed and there was a springy feeling-sounding rattle when I tapped the bottom edge where the base meets the screen. This second one has the same sound but I have to tap not the lower edge but the the edge where the left side of the screen meets the camera, below the the flash button.

The buzzing sound and vibration is there when the camera is both powered on or off. It makes no difference. It's apparently not the OIS. The side to side clicking is with camera off but not there with camera on, just like my three other lumix cameras. It's something else. Maybe it's of no concern. I do wonder though how much stress the lens tube could take in shipping.

Now I don't know whether I need to return this second one. They sent me an RMA label.

Can anyone confirm there is such a springy sounding rattle on your FZ80?

Otherwise this FZ80 like the first is cosmetically perfect and new looking.

Hoping someone will have the chance to check this. Maybe I can keep this one if anyone else has that same sound.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jlina
jlina Senior Member • Posts: 2,326
Re: Need opinions about FZ80

Hi! Are you saying the LCD screen makes a movement noise when you touch it? I had a 300 that did that. The one I have now feels more secure. As far as noises when the camera is in operation I have read that it makes noises but that particular noise is not anything I have read about.  There is a thread of just people that use the fz80 here on the Panasonic forum maybe they could help you more?

My fz1000 Mark II makes like an engine noise when it is on or a faint hum.  But no weird rattling or clicking.

I I'm sure you don't want to make a decision you'll regret so I hope some other people chime in on this!

Good luck!

-- hide signature --

jlina

jlina's gear list:jlina's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II
OP RD Lumix New Member • Posts: 19

Thank you so much for replying! However you can't see my reply and I can't send you a private message because of this reoccurring:

"Your post will not be visible to other users until it has been approved by a moderator. This is most likely because your account was recently created."

-- hide signature --

No...Not the screen, and not the FZ300. The edge below the screen, and also the area to the right of the screen on the FZ80.

The only way to answer this is to tap your FZ80 as marked with red arrows in the photo. I just discovered it has much more vibration if I hold it by the barrel and tap to the right of the screen on the faux leather imprinted area, as I marked in red. The marked photo shows other areas, like on my first one, to get this sound. It sounds like something is loose inside.

This is not happening on my FZ300 which I just got recently.

If someone else gets this buzzy sound, then I will know it is probably not from the shipping.

RD

jlina

I would return it especially if you have a 300. It is a better alternative according to those on the forum. I only have the 1,000 Mark II.

-- hide signature --

jlina

ukmark62 Regular Member • Posts: 251
Re: Need opinions about FZ80 rattling-buzzing spring-like sound when camera is tapped...

Hi,

I have the UK version of this camera, the FZ-82. I have had this camera for over a year (new from Panasonic direct) and I also get the "buzzing/vibration" when tapping the camera where you have highlighted the red arrows. Camera works perfectly.

Not sure what causes this slight "buzz/vibration" but for myself, I have not had any issues at all.

Mark.

Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,986
Re: Need opinions about FZ80 rattling-buzzing spring-like sound when camera is tapped...

ukmark62 wrote:

Hi,

I have the UK version of this camera, the FZ-82. I have had this camera for over a year (new from Panasonic direct) and I also get the "buzzing/vibration" when tapping the camera where you have highlighted the red arrows. Camera works perfectly.

Not sure what causes this slight "buzz/vibration" but for myself, I have not had any issues at all.

Mark.

Betting this sound is from the camera's IS (image stabilization system) and working as intended,

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 17,967
Packaging

Judging from the sequence of pictures of unboxing your camera, I guess your camera should have been taken out and repackaged again.

Reason: The hint is on the first picture. That top separator should be used to house the manual etc (if your sequence of pictures were in good order, they were stored at the bottom of the box!).

Due to the bottom of the box had been occupied by something they are not designed to sit there, it made the camera sitting improperly and so the top cover can't be closed well.

I think this is a standard packaging used by Panasonic so the top separator is in L shape.

Either your seller had took out the camera for a pre-sell checking, or it was a returned product.

If you are not comfortable with it, return it.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please forgive my typo error.
** Please feel free to download my image and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +11 more

ukmark62 wrote:

Hi,

Mark.

Mark...That is extremely helpful. It tells me the shipping issue did not cause this. Yes, this camera also seems to perform well. Did you hold it it by the barrel? I noticed holding it by the grip gave the buzzing, however not as loud. The first camera had the buzzing when tapped on the other side/edge opposite the grip, but I was not holding it by the barrel then.

If I hold the barrel aiming it to the ground the buzzing noise is not there when tapping. I thought maybe it is the spring in the battery door or the flash, but not so.

I first noticed this sound simply by setting the camera onto a counter. I thought "Huh?"

RD.

jlina wrote:

I would return it especially if you have a 300. It is a better alternative according to those on the forum. I only have the 1,000 Mark II.

Hi Jlina... I come from an FZ150 and FZ70, but I want now the WiFi and touchscreen for ease of use. People complain about the 300's AF hunting. I've been using  the FZ 70 with the Nikon E15ed and Sony 1758. I'm not so confident about the 300 AF in this setup with the LA7 tube.

RD

Sactojim wrote:

ukmark62 wrote:

Hi,

Mark.

Betting this sound is from the camera's IS (image stabilization system) and working as intended,

Hi Mark,

1) OIS clicking can only be heard if camera is off. One needs to shake the camera side to side to hear the element slide back and forth. It will not make the faint clicks if powered on when the magnets are engaging it.

2) This buzzing sound is not affected by powering on or off. It's a more superficial vibration further back proximate to the grip area, because holding the grip will dampen the sound somewhat.

RD

Re: Packaging

alcelc wrote:

Judging from the sequence of pictures of unboxing your camera, I guess your camera should have been taken out and repackaged again.

Reason: The hint is on the first picture. That top separator should be used to house the manual etc (if your sequence of pictures were in good order, they were stored at the bottom of the box!).

Due to the bottom of the box had been occupied by something they are not designed to sit there, it made the camera sitting improperly and so the top cover can't be closed well.

I think this is a standard packaging used by Panasonic so the top separator is in L shape.

Either your seller had took out the camera for a pre-sell checking, or it was a returned product.

Very correct, Albert. And the short top flap should have be folded like an L onto the grip. The camera was turned 180 degrees preventing this. The booklets were actually standing on end just like the first one I received from BH.

Here are 4 photos of the first one I received from BH and another (the last one) photo of how I returned it. I hadn't even thought about the booklets misplaced.

NOTE: Not sure why there is such a delay in my responses being posted. I get this and have to wait a day to get approved? My account has l ready been approved, but everything I reply is delayed.

"Message is not shown because it has not been approved by moderators"

Re: Packaging

alcelc wrote:

As a comparison, this is how I received my FZ300 from BH recently. Yes, the booklets are laying on top, though it's an entirely different package arrangement.

No issues with this camera as yet.

Still waiting for an FZ80 user to say nay, no buzzy sounds when I tap it. If I return this one I have to find another source to buy. I think I don't want to give BH a third go round on this.

RD

RD Lumix wrote:

jlina wrote:

Hi Jlina... I come from an FZ150 and FZ70, but I want now the WiFi and touchscreen for ease of use. People complain about the 300's AF hunting. I've been using the FZ 70 with the Nikon E15ed and Sony 1758. I'm not so confident about the 300 AF in this setup with the LA7 tube.

RD

Indeed I decided to return it. It's off to Fedex and back to BH. I seriously question as to getting another FZ80. I had hoped it would be like my FZ70 (which is solid like a rock) but with touchscreen and WiFi. Not like my FZ70 at all! Serious focus problems. Undependable. Like a jellyfish in parts of the screen and viewfinder, scintillating like a steamy mirage on the horizon. Total dealbreaker for me. Tried to upload a video but it's not allowed, I guess.

The FZ300 is a worthy camera. Pinpoint AF seems to work well when shooting through wild growth. It shows promise. I'm also looking at other possibilities if the 300 falls short. I don't see the 1000 Mark 2 on the Ebay market. It's probably too good.

RD

bridge77 Contributing Member • Posts: 722

RD Lumix wrote:

RD Lumix wrote:

jlina wrote:

Hi Jlina... I come from an FZ150 and FZ70, but I want now the WiFi and touchscreen for ease of use. People complain about the 300's AF hunting. I've been using the FZ 70 with the Nikon E15ed and Sony 1758. I'm not so confident about the 300 AF in this setup with the LA7 tube.

RD

Indeed I decided to return it. It's off to Fedex and back to BH. I seriously question as to getting another FZ80. I had hoped it would be like my FZ70 (which is solid like a rock) but with touchscreen and WiFi.

sorry it didn't work for you. i still shoot with my FZ70 but if i were to upgrade it prolly would be the FZ200 or FZ300 or other.

keep us updated on what you decide and a mini review of your new camera.

Not like my FZ70 at all! Serious focus problems. Undependable. Like a jellyfish in parts of the screen and viewfinder, scintillating like a steamy mirage on the horizon. Total dealbreaker for me. Tried to upload a video but it's not allowed, I guess.

The FZ300 is a worthy camera. Pinpoint AF seems to work well when shooting through wild growth. It shows promise. I'm also looking at other possibilities if the 300 falls short. I don't see the 1000 Mark 2 on the Ebay market. It's probably too good.

RD

jlina

Hi! Yeah a lot of people here don't like it, the ones who are successful with it seem to shoot raw and then denoise their photos.  At least you know for sure you made the right decision for you

-- hide signature --

jlina

jlina wrote:

Hi! Yeah a lot of people here don't like it, the ones who are successful with it seem to shoot raw and then denoise their photos. At least you know for sure you made the right decision for you

I am looking into the the FZ1000M2. I'm  not a great photographer, but if the moment is there  I'd like to know I can capture it without much fuss.

Valentin G Contributing Member • Posts: 856
Video of the clanking sound

I took a short video of what mine does when shaken with power OFF. When the power is on it does not make this sound. I've had it for 4 years and it's been working fine.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8yDH55ug3P1vSC7y5

-- hide signature --

Valentin

Valentin G's gear list:Valentin G's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Sony SLT-A57 Samsung NX300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 +10 more
jlina

As long as you aren't trying to do birds I think it is the perfect camera! People pets and places that's what I call it :). Anything smaller than a seagull at 10 or 15 ft, is probably not going to be really detailed.

-- hide signature --

jlina

Re: Video of the clanking sound

Valentin G wrote:

I took a short video of what mine does when shaken with power OFF. When the power is on it does not make this sound. I've had it for 4 years and it's been working fine.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8yDH55ug3P1vSC7y5

Valentin,

Yours is fine. That's  the OIS disengaged because the power is off. All my Lumix's do that.

RD

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads