Fujifilm GF20-35 - keeping fingers crossed for 31 May

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
amateurphotographer Senior Member • Posts: 1,078
Fujifilm GF20-35 - keeping fingers crossed for 31 May

Hi all,

I have the 23 + 32-64.    I often find I need a focal length in between 23-32.

There's the GF30 but so it's close to the 32 of the 32-64 zoom.

The GF20-35 will fill this gap.   I guess it would be f4/5.6 lens, which I don't mind as I will be using it for stationary product shots.

Keeping my fingers cross it will be announced at the Fujifilm X summit on the 31 May.

Anyone else keen for this lens?

amateurphotographer's gear list:amateurphotographer's gear list
Olympus TG-6 Nikon D4S Nikon D850 Sony a7R III Sony a7S III +66 more
spilla Senior Member • Posts: 1,022
Re: Fujifilm GF20-35 - keeping fingers crossed for 31 May

I've not heard many rumors about it -- more excited to see what it can do than to own one myself. I rarely shoot that wide. More excited about the upcoming tilt shift lens (not until 2023?)

Adam Schallau
Adam Schallau New Member • Posts: 24

amateurphotographer wrote:

Hi all,

I have the 23 + 32-64. I often find I need a focal length in between 23-32.

There's the GF30 but so it's close to the 32 of the 32-64 zoom.

I'm in the same boat. I often need or could really use a focal length between 23mm and 32mm.

The GF20-35 will fill this gap. I guess it would be f4/5.6 lens, which I don't mind as I will be using it for stationary product shots.

The prototype/mockup that was shown in the X Summit PRIME 2021 event has an aperture ring. That tells me that the lens does not have an aperture that varies with the zoom setting. Judging by the size of the lens shown in the video I believe it will be an f/4 design.

Update: I just finished watching the presentation again, but this time on a 27" display and in 4k and you can see that the lens barrel is marked "1:4" meaning they are aiming for it to be an f/4 lens.

Keeping my fingers cross it will be announced at the Fujifilm X summit on the 31 May.

I'm very keen for this lens to be officially announced. I've been carrying 5 lenses in my kit and my back is definitely feeling it. My lens kit currently consists of the Laowa 17/4 along with the Fuji 23/4, 32-64/4, 45-100/4, and 100-200/5.6. If the 20-35mm lens is at least as good optically as the 32-64/4, then I plan to replace the 17/4, 23/4, and 32-64/4 with it.

-- hide signature --

Adam Schallau | Grand Canyon, Arizona
Our job is to record, each in his own way, this world of light and shadow and time that will never come again exactly as it is today. - Edward Abbey

Adam Schallau's gear list:Adam Schallau's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100S Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm GF 23mm F4 Fujifilm GF 100-200mm F5.6 +1 more
pythonpython Junior Member • Posts: 35

Hoping it makes it's debut and that pre-sales open up shortly after.  It's anyone's guess what it'll be priced at.

OP amateurphotographer Senior Member • Posts: 1,078

Adam Schallau wrote:

Hi all,

Update: I just finished watching the presentation again, but this time on a 27" display and in 4k and you can see that the lens barrel is marked "1:4" meaning they are aiming for it to be an f/4 lens.

I'm very keen for this lens to be officially announced. I've been carrying 5 lenses in my kit and my back is definitely feeling it. My lens kit currently consists of the Laowa 17/4 along with the Fuji 23/4, 32-64/4, 45-100/4, and 100-200/5.6. If the 20-35mm lens is at least as good optically as the 32-64/4, then I plan to replace the 17/4, 23/4, and 32-64/4 with it.

I've been getting around this 23-32 gap by shooting with the 23mm and cropping it.  Plenty of pixels still with the GFX100s.

I know what you mean with the weight.  I also carry the same as your setup.  For me I will sell the 23mm when the 20-35 comes out.   For wider than 23mm, I use the Canon 11-24 with Steelrings/Kipon adapters.

Singingsnapper Regular Member • Posts: 190

Yes, am awaiting this one - I will sell my 23 and 32 - 64 to fund it.  I find the 35 - 70 plenty sharp for my use.

Singingsnapper's gear list:Singingsnapper's gear list
Panasonic ZS200 Sony RX100 VII Sony a6000 Fujifilm GFX 100S Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 +5 more

Photorumours.com  - May 24th

X Summit Omiya 2022    May 31st  2022  1PM  GMT

Maybe GF20-23 f4 is ready for sales.

Re: Fujifilm GF20-35 - no announcement today

Photorumours.com - May 24th

X Summit Omiya 2022 May 31st 2022 1PM GMT

Maybe GF20-23 f4 is ready for sales.

oh well, there was no announcement of the GF20-35 at today's X summit.

Opera207 Forum Member • Posts: 93

And.....no.

Opera207's gear list:Opera207's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital III Panasonic Lumix DC-S1H Fujifilm GFX 100S Leica M11 Venus Laowa 15mm F2 +4 more
Pansottin
Pansottin Regular Member • Posts: 219

No new wide zoom! I think a GF30mm will substitute the Zeiss ZE 21mm for my interior work and landscape. No more crop needed. I will keep using just primes.

Pansottin's gear list:Pansottin's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50R Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/85 +3 more

So...what is the next logical date for the 20-35 announcement? Or will it likely just be a random future date this year? Since there are no alternative lenses, maybe I'll try some adapted telephoto MF lenses to pass the timeĀ 

alpshiker Senior Member • Posts: 1,137

pythonpython wrote:

So...what is the next logical date for the 20-35 announcement? Or will it likely just be a random future date this year? Since there are no alternative lenses, maybe I'll try some adapted telephoto MF lenses to pass the time

If you are really desperate, you can always get yourself a Canon EF 16-35 f2.8 III. If you just remove the rear baffle, which pops off, the lens is amazing from 19 to 35mm. And at a fraction of the GF elusive lens if you get a used sample (many Canon users switch to mirrorless R cameras with the dedicated lenses these days). I use one on the Fringer adapter and I couldn't desire anything better. The only regret is that it does not reach 45mm at the long end to match the FF amplitude. I use it on the 50S, but others say they are very happy with that lens on the GFX-100S.

alpshiker's gear list:alpshiker's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Sony a7R II Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a7R IV

alpshiker wrote:

pythonpython wrote:

So...what is the next logical date for the 20-35 announcement? Or will it likely just be a random future date this year? Since there are no alternative lenses, maybe I'll try some adapted telephoto MF lenses to pass the time

If you are really desperate, you can always get yourself a Canon EF 16-35 f2.8 III. If you just remove the rear baffle, which pops off, the lens is amazing from 19 to 35mm. And at a fraction of the GF elusive lens if you get a used sample (many Canon users switch to mirrorless R cameras with the dedicated lenses these days). I use one on the Fringer adapter and I couldn't desire anything better. The only regret is that it does not reach 45mm at the long end to match the FF amplitude. I use it on the 50S, but others say they are very happy with that lens on the GFX-100S.

Thanks for that, not a bad idea.  I do have a EF lens collection and a Fringer.  My 11-24 produces good results from 15-20 iirc.  That's my only gripe with adapted FF lenses, you have to keep track of the usable subset of focal lengths.

Think I've seen your posts on this subject so will review those and give my FF glass another review.  Appreciate the suggestion!

pythonpython wrote:

Hi

Next X summit is in September 2022, maybe then it will be announced.  But I guess the logic was that R&D went into the H2S camera, as sales will be better than the GF 20-35 lens.

There's no exact 20-35 equivalent.  I currently use the Canon 11-24f4 with steelrings and kipon adapters.  I have the GF23.  I do have a gap from 24-32.  But as I am using the GFX100s, I shoot with the 23mm and crop to fill in this 24-32 gap.   I would rather not carry another lens to fill this narrow range.

my two cents

oxeneers
oxeneers Junior Member • Posts: 37

Really shocked we didn't see the GF20-35 today. It seems to be pretty much ready to go, right? I mean they've showed off pre-production versions of it already. I think I'm just going to get the 30mm prime instead of waiting it out. It's for hobbyist use anyways. I think what was said above, that it won't be coming out until the September event.

oxeneers's gear list:oxeneers's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +6 more

oxeneers wrote:

Really shocked we didn't see the GF20-35 today. It seems to be pretty much ready to go, right?I mean they've showed off pre-production versions of it already.

Think it was just a plastic mockup to show the scale of the lens.   4 mths wait isn't long for maybe a more versatile lens than the 30mm.  Obviously depends what you need.  But I guess the 30mm will be lighter than the GF20-32.  I guess also quite a tricky lens to design, the X1D widest lens is 21mm, and that's a prime, so going 20mm in a zoom is even more challenging.  That's 15.8mm in 35mm terms I think.

I think I'm just going to get the 30mm prime instead of waiting it out. It's for hobbyist use anyways. I think what was said above, that it won't be coming out until the September event.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads