28 mm wide enough for Berlin??

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Hunter019 New Member • Posts: 12
28 mm wide enough for Berlin??

Hi all

Havent been to Berlin in ages. Last time I was there I did't had a camera.

I was wondering if someone had experience in Berlin with a 28 mm lens.

Would it be wide enough to capture the Gendarmen markt?

Or would you bring something wider?

If some one can share what a 28 mm focal lenght can do in Berlin please share

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 3,290
Re: 28 mm wide enough for Berlin??

Can't help you with any experience although I have used Google Earth to work out what I might need for particular townscapes ie working out what field of view is needed. Of course this only helps with horizontal framing.

I am just using a 14-30 now in towns and certainly down to 20 is common for me and even 14 to get big buildings in narrow streets in UK cities.  I think that if I had to choose a single FL the 24/25 would be it.

lokatz
lokatz Veteran Member • Posts: 3,356
Re: 28 mm wide enough for Berlin??

If you're looking to capture the whole Gendarmenmarkt scene, the answer is 'no'. As is the case with most big cities, Berlin has plenty of confined spaces (the Potsdamer Platz area, and particularly the Sony Center, is another one that comes to mind) where getting a shot that captures how you experience it requires more like 16-18mm (full frame). This doesn't mean you won't be able to get interesting shots, but capturing the visual impression you have when standing there requires a wider lens.

(I'm a member of Fotoclub Berlin, by the way.)

lokatz's gear list:lokatz's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Canon EOS R5 OM-1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +31 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads