Lenses for product videography? Jewellery & models

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Boo R New Member • Posts: 2
Lenses for product videography? Jewellery & models

Hello,

I am a product photographer who is changing with the demand, or trying to. And I am new to this but I have been around enough to know about buying options. Cheap does not always mean good.

What products I shoot? jewellery, clothing. Not cars, no boats. Just simply lifestyle stories to on IG for now.

I have been researching lenses for videography and specifically for products, I do not see much content or info to this specifically. Like everything, it all seems to be very generic.

I started creating videos 6 months ago, business is going well but I do not want to invest lenses that are in the 000 mark as I don't know where it is going. But I want to build the business.

I did my research on YT, but it all seems to be from hipsters who like a retro look. I am not looking for that. I need crisp, sharp and good looking. Commercial.

So any suggestions welcome.

What camera do I use? I am on a xt4 for now and have an EF adapter

Guidance from others in the industry would be awesome.

Off The Mark Veteran Member • Posts: 6,317
Re: Lenses for product videography? Jewellery & models

Boo R wrote:

Hello,

I am a product photographer who is changing with the demand, or trying to. And I am new to this but I have been around enough to know about buying options. Cheap does not always mean good.

What products I shoot? jewellery, clothing. Not cars, no boats. Just simply lifestyle stories to on IG for now.

I have been researching lenses for videography and specifically for products, I do not see much content or info to this specifically. Like everything, it all seems to be very generic.

I started creating videos 6 months ago, business is going well but I do not want to invest lenses that are in the 000 mark as I don't know where it is going. But I want to build the business.

I did my research on YT, but it all seems to be from hipsters who like a retro look. I am not looking for that. I need crisp, sharp and good looking. Commercial.

So any suggestions welcome.

What camera do I use? I am on a xt4 for now and have an EF adapter

Guidance from others in the industry would be awesome.

What type of jewelry pieces? If small, then a macro lens could be good (f you want close up shots).

And secondly, what lens(es) do you own now???

And thirdly, if you come on here stating "I started creating videos 6 months ago," then yu should at least invite us to check out your work.

But it sounds more like you are trying to shoot "lifestyle" videos with the jewelry and clothes being worn. In that case, just whatever equivalent to something like a 24-70 f/2.8 on fuji would be a good starting point.

Then if you end up needing an adapter, MAYBE something like the Sigma 70mm macro for Canon EF mount or some 50mm macro for EF mount, or maybe there is a native fuji macro lens.

One other thing, but related to stills, not so much related to video. If you do end up looking at close focusing / macro lenses, I personally find it very helpful to use a lens with minimal focus breathing and then focus stacking the images. I don't know if the X-T4 has built in focus stacking or not. (I usually do it in photoshop using my Panasonic full frame cameras.)

And lastly, some people who shoot product STILLS absolutely swear by a tilt shift lens so they can control the plain of focus. Again, not all that applicable to video (as far as I can tell), but if you also do stills in addition to video, it MIGHT be something to think about.

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6500 +16 more
ashton lamont
ashton lamont Contributing Member • Posts: 764

You've probably found this already but anyway: to make videos of very small items stand out its probably not so much the lenses - which you no doubt have already including a macro / extension tubes - as the equipment and software.

You need a rotating tray, otherwise sometimes called a lazy susan. For slightly larger compositions such as a watch on a wrist with part of the models upper body a slider can be useful. Off camera continuous lighting obviously though be very aware of hotspots and reflections on jewellery so reflectors can be good.

To get good smooth zoom-ins it can be easier to use software in post; the dynamic zoom function in Davinci Resolve works great and can also substitute for a pan. If you shoot in 4k and supply in HD so much the better - though for Instagram sizes thats not really a biggie.

These will give you much more appealing video results than slightly better lenses which most clients would not recognise one from another anyway.

-- hide signature --

Pete

Andrew S10 Senior Member • Posts: 1,721

Do you already have lighting equipment?

Are you trying to get close up shots of jewelry or shots of people wearing jewelry?

If you want close up shots, your best option is a macro lens, however, you could try close-up filters, bellows/extensions tubes, or a reverse mounted lens (works best with a manual prime, and depth of field with be extremely shallow).

BioCommunications Association has some great videos on macro photography, and many of the principles apply to video as well.

OP Boo R New Member • Posts: 2

Hello OTM,

Ok good question and good point to all. I am not particularly interested in stills as I pretty much have that nailed down.

I own in primes:

Canon 24 L

Canon 100 L

Canon 135 L

Canon 24 - 105 L

Canon 85 1.8

Canon 28 1.8

Sigma 50 Art

And if it ever turns up: Sigma 14 -24 Art.

I started shooting with the Canon 5D iv and it lacks a lot of detail and is hard to colour grade. Also having so many primes meant I needed to jump in between, which made colour grading hard too. So I re-bought the 24 to 105 for IS and for standardising it a bit

I think I would not mind the IRIX 45mm and the 105 for the video, but I am not convinced its a wise choice.

Yes to the point of making videos for jewellery more lifestyle shoots. Not so much detailed product stuff. Most companies can do that in 3d.

With regards to tilt shifts. I dont have any, and it is slightly too niche and would be curious to see a video on titl shift though.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cc42uSUpWxW/

here is something I recently did.

Off The Mark Veteran Member • Posts: 6,317

Boo R wrote:

I own in primes:

Canon 24 L

Canon 100 L

Canon 135 L

Canon 24 - 105 L

Canon 85 1.8

Canon 28 1.8

Sigma 50 Art

And if it ever turns up: Sigma 14 -24 Art.

That's a lot of lenses.

Really, for the lifestyle type of shots, you have more than enough lenses, I think. If it were me, I would probably use the 24-105 f/4 L for 95% of the time and then either one prime lens the other 5% of the time. But that is if the 24-105 f/4 L works fine on your Fuji camera.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cc42uSUpWxW/

here is something I recently did.

Looks good. I think you are on the right path.

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6500 +16 more
Andrew S10 Senior Member • Posts: 1,721

I think you have all the lenses you need, but if you'd like the full frame aesthetic, you could get a Metabones focal reducer or try the cheap Viltrox version.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads