Minolta Hi-Matic: Question about guide number control

Started 3 months ago | Questions
hokyungbenjaminbenlee Regular Member • Posts: 207
Minolta Hi-Matic: Question about guide number control

Hi,

I recently acquired a Minolta Hi-Matic F, a compact rangefinder. With Hi-Matic F, apparently, I cannot dial in the aperture or shutter speed, and the only way to control the exposure is by changing the ISO dial at the bottom of the lens.

Recently, I read on a site that the camera automatically changes the exposure according to the guide number which can be controlled with a dial on the lens. My question is, does the guide number dial have any effect in controlling the exposure or is it the case only when a flash is attached via the PC cord or hot-shoe?

hokyungbenjaminbenlee's gear list:hokyungbenjaminbenlee's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Fujifilm X-T20 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +6 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Tomm111 Senior Member • Posts: 1,852
Re: Minolta Hi-Matic: Question about guide number control

My uncle had this camera, I was in high school, just learning photography. He asked me how to use it, I said it didn't have shutter speeds or f stops, I couldn't figure it out, he made some nasty comment, but we agreed the camera was a pain. Anyway he used it for years, it made some good family photos. Sorry I didn't answer your questions.

Tomm111's gear list:Tomm111's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D300 Leica CL Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +18 more
Overrank
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 4,546

hokyungbenjaminbenlee wrote:

Hi,

I recently acquired a Minolta Hi-Matic F, a compact rangefinder. With Hi-Matic F, apparently, I cannot dial in the aperture or shutter speed, and the only way to control the exposure is by changing the ISO dial at the bottom of the lens.

Recently, I read on a site that the camera automatically changes the exposure according to the guide number which can be controlled with a dial on the lens. My question is, does the guide number dial have any effect in controlling the exposure or is it the case only when a flash is attached via the PC cord or hot-shoe?

I’ve never had a Hi Matic but I have had a Canonet QL17 which also had a guide number as a setting. From memory if you set it to a guide number then it will adjust the aperture in line with the focus distance (like an automated version of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guide_number#Calculating_with_guide_numbers ).  I don’t think you can use it to set the f/stop directly, of course on the QL17 you don’t need to.

KCK14 Senior Member • Posts: 1,284

Overrank is right.  The E is strictly a Program exposure. Setting shutter speed and f-stop as it sees fit.  I believe the actual program progression was spelled out in a diagram in the original users manual.  The GN setting was the only way to use it with flash.  I also seem to remember that Minolta had a flash unit designed to go with the E.

KCK14's gear list:KCK14's gear list
Nikon D7000 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 17,668

The way it works is that you select the flash GN from any flash and then the camera selects the aperture according to the distance.

To know what aperture is using , calculate from here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guide_number

BTW, if you want to buy the manual, see the web site in the page I posted.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads