R5, IS on or off for flight shots?

Started May 15, 2022 | Discussions
Johnnyxbow Regular Member • Posts: 366
R5, IS on or off for flight shots?

My R5 is tack sharp with stationary birds using 100-500 lens. But in flight shots are in focus  and camera does not seen to struggle tracking, but not tack sharp. Shutter speeds are up at 2500/3200 IS I have tried on mode one and two. I will try turning IS off next time, but not likely to be until next weekend.

Anyone noticed any issues or have any suggestions

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
yerach
yerach Regular Member • Posts: 368
Re: R5, IS on or off for flight shots?

i don't own and haven't seen that lens, but as with many canon super-zooms it should have 3 IS modes, of which the 3rd is supposed to be suited for erratic subject tracking, do keep in mind though that the evf won't be as stable in this mode, if you'll be panning on a monopod mode 2 should be fine too (it's the same as mode 3 just for 1 axis movement).

-- hide signature --

canon at hand nikon at heart

yerach's gear list:yerach's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM +1 more
maarensv
maarensv Senior Member • Posts: 1,139

Johnnyxbow wrote:

My R5 is tack sharp with stationary birds using 100-500 lens. But in flight shots are in focus and camera does not seen to struggle tracking, but not tack sharp. Shutter speeds are up at 2500/3200 IS I have tried on mode one and two. I will try turning IS off next time, but not likely to be until next weekend.

Mode 1 should be avoided when shooting BIF with the RF 100-500, unlike the EF 100-400 II for example. In both cases mode 1 is for static, mode 2 for panning, but the RF lens seems to freeze the shot in mode 1 rather than the usual 2 axis stabilisation of the EF lens.

When I started using the RF 100-500 for shooting civil planes I started off with mode 1 as I was used to with the EF 100-400 II. Almost all of the pics came out blurry, untill switching to mode 2. Things are perfect since. The old EF lens could handle both mode 1 and 2 for the same situation, so behaviour is a bit different.

So, mode 2 or 3 for panning. I would have deactivated IS when using shutter speeds as fast as you say. Anything clearly above 1/focal length normally does not need IS.

maarensv's gear list:maarensv's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS R Olympus E-M5 III Canon EOS R7 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +20 more
axlotl Senior Member • Posts: 2,288

Johnnyxbow wrote:

My R5 is tack sharp with stationary birds using 100-500 lens. But in flight shots are in focus and camera does not seen to struggle tracking, but not tack sharp. Shutter speeds are up at 2500/3200 IS I have tried on mode one and two. I will try turning IS off next time, but not likely to be until next weekend.

I use 1/4000 sec and Stab Mode 3 for BIF. I got many unsharp frames at 1/2000 sec and Mode 1.

Andrew

OP Johnnyxbow Regular Member • Posts: 366

Thanks for the reply's I will try Mode 3 and or IS switched off. On sunny days I will also use faster shutter speeds.

Never tried Mode 3 on any of my lenses, not sure why really, just me thinking it can't start up and work that fast, also no advantage with viewfinder being stabilised. I will try it, perhaps you can teach an old dog new tricks 

R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,795

Johnnyxbow wrote:

Turn IS off completely for BIFs.  I always have much higher keeper rates without it, no matter the mode or the shutter speed.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS R7 +1 more

R2D2 wrote:

Johnnyxbow wrote:

Turn IS off completely for BIFs. I always have much higher keeper rates without it, no matter the mode or the shutter speed.

R2

Thanks R2, I will try that when out next.

Would be interesting to know why we have a problem with IS now that I have not noticed with past canon cameras. Can't be lens IS as this has worked in the past so it points to IBIS or the combination of the two. Have you tried any older none stabilised lenses with IBIS on?

Johnny

Stuart Carlton Regular Member • Posts: 212

Johnnyxbow wrote:

Thanks for the reply's I will try Mode 3 and or IS switched off. On sunny days I will also use faster shutter speeds.

Never tried Mode 3 on any of my lenses, not sure why really, just me thinking it can't start up and work that fast, also no advantage with viewfinder being stabilised. I will try it, perhaps you can teach an old dog new tricks

Bear in mind though, mode 3 only engages at the moment of exposure. I haven’t used it either so not sure how well it works for bif.

Mike Engles Senior Member • Posts: 2,768

Is does nothing for stabilising anything, but does help to stabilise the EVF, when trying to take pictures, using very long lenses. You still have to use high shutter speeds to take sharp pictures. using such lenses

R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,795

Johnnyxbow wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

Johnnyxbow wrote:

Turn IS off completely for BIFs. I always have much higher keeper rates without it, no matter the mode or the shutter speed.

R2

Thanks R2, I will try that when out next.

Would be interesting to know why we have a problem with IS now that I have not noticed with past canon cameras.

I’ve always turned IS off when shooting BIFs.  I’ve gotten better keeper rates with every body I’ve used that way.

Can't be lens IS as this has worked in the past so it points to IBIS or the combination of the two.

The issue is definitely more prominent with the R5 than with any other body I’ve owned.

Have you tried any older none stabilised lenses with IBIS on?

I still have a venerable EF 400mm f/5.6L, but I haven’t tried it for BIFs with IBIS on.

Canon is aware of the issue and has addressed it through firmware, but IME they still have work to do.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS R7 +1 more

Thanks for all the input.

I only got 15 mins on the bank on my way home, but tried it with IS turned off. Very quick fix, some perfect results.

Dan W Senior Member • Posts: 1,245

Johnnyxbow wrote:

Try mode 3 if handholding and chasing birds...

Dan W's gear list:Dan W's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads