How to change DMA for location

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Robert Schoner Senior Member • Posts: 1,105
How to change DMA for location

Hi,

When I open up my browser (Firefox, Bing, Chrome) my location for weather says "DMA Seattle Tacoma", but I am in the Sacramento area. I can set location but refreshing brings me back to Seattle Tacoma. I think the clue to the problem is the letters DMA which may stand for Direct Memory Access. Google tells me how to enable/disable but not how to change it. (Do I want to?)

Any ideas?
Thanks,

Bob Schoner

Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 13,008
Re: How to change DMA for location

Robert Schoner wrote:

Hi,

When I open up my browser (Firefox, Bing, Chrome) my location for weather says "DMA Seattle Tacoma", but I am in the Sacramento area. I can set location but refreshing brings me back to Seattle Tacoma. I think the clue to the problem is the letters DMA which may stand for Direct Memory Access.

I doubt it, in this context.

Perhaps it stands for Designated Market Area?

https://www.mediamarketmap.com/seattle-tacoma-designated-market-media-map/

Google tells me how to enable/disable but not how to change it. (Do I want to?)

IDK how to change it; no luck so far. MSN Weather thinks I'm in Houston! I generally use the local TV station websites, or Weather Channel to look up the weather in other places.

I should add that I've disabled location finding everywhere I can on my PCs, as I figure I'd rather keep the exact details away from advertisers, etc. Enabling that might fix my Houston-misinfo issue, but I don't really want to try that.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7R IV Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Macro 30mm F2.8 Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +6 more
Richard James Contributing Member • Posts: 514

Robert Schoner wrote:

Bob,

When I open up my browser (Firefox, Bing, Chrome) my location for weather says "DMA Seattle Tacoma", but I am in the Sacramento area.

it is likely based on the IP address (or physical address if identifiable) of the closest identifiable hop on the network to you. This would be an address owned by your network provider.

It would seem that they are registered in Seattle.

In my case it usually shows up as a location within a couple of km of my true location. The corp HQ of the company is in Alberta, not BC.

Richard

Billiam29 Senior Member • Posts: 2,454

Richard James wrote:

Robert Schoner wrote:

Bob,

When I open up my browser (Firefox, Bing, Chrome) my location for weather says "DMA Seattle Tacoma", but I am in the Sacramento area.

it is likely based on the IP address (or physical address if identifiable) of the closest identifiable hop on the network to you. This would be an address owned by your network provider.

Agreed.

It would seem that they are registered in Seattle.

In principle, it shouldn't matter where an ISP is headquartered or registered. IP address location databases should be based on the actual physical geographic location where the owner of an IP subnet has allocated that subnet's addresses. It's always possible that such databases might default to business record locations though if there is no information for the specific subnet of addresses.

The page linked below is a publically available utility from a CDN provider that allows you to look up what they think the physical location of your IP address is. It might be worth a look for the OP to see if it shows Seattle/Tacoma or Sacramento for him. In my case, it was spot-on to my home town in the Chicago area for my Comcast IP address even though Comcast is based out of Philidelphia.

https://tools.keycdn.com/geo

Austinian

Billiam29 wrote:

The page linked below is a publically available utility from a CDN provider that allows you to look up what they think the physical location of your IP address is. It might be worth a look for the OP to see if it shows Seattle/Tacoma or Sacramento for him. In my case, it was spot-on to my home town in the Chicago area for my Comcast IP address even though Comcast is based out of Philidelphia.

https://tools.keycdn.com/geo

Thank you, that's helpful. It says I'm in Austin, as indeed I am, but why MSN Weather thinks I'm in Houston remains a (very minorĀ  ) mystery.

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7R IV Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Macro 30mm F2.8 Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +6 more
Ken Seals
Ken Seals Senior Member • Posts: 2,054

Austinian wrote:

Thank you, that's helpful. It says I'm in Austin, as indeed I am, but why MSN Weather thinks I'm in Houston remains a (very minor ) mystery.

Unless there is a Tornado watch/warning for Austin

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken - LR ACE
FAA Remote Pilot Certificate, ATP ASMEL
Mizzou PJ '66
www.kenseals.com

Ken Seals's gear list:Ken Seals's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +12 more
OP Robert Schoner Senior Member • Posts: 1,105

Hi,

I recently changed from DSL with Consolidated Communications (Phone company) to T-Mobile 5G. We have no cable in the area. OOKLA shows T-Mobile's IP as 172.56.104.172 which shows a location of Seattle; so that's where the location is based.

I don't know if the Seattle server is affecting my internet speed. It really varies. Right now on Sunday 12:43PM I'm getting only around 2-4Mbps download but upload is around 10-14Mbps based on Ookla. It's not unusual for upload speed to go to 0 between 5-6PM during the week. Usually I get around 25-45Mbps for upload. My DSL was a consistent 3-4Mbps download and 0.5-1.5 upload.

Bob Schoner

Austinian

Ken Seals wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Thank you, that's helpful. It says I'm in Austin, as indeed I am, but why MSN Weather thinks I'm in Houston remains a (very minor ) mystery.

Don't forget my earlier post: "I generally use the local TV station websites".

Last tornado that came through nearby, I watched their video feed in real time as the tornado crossed the Interstate and hit a bank branch.

Ken Seals
Ken Seals Senior Member • Posts: 2,054

Austinian wrote:

Ken Seals wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Don't forget my earlier post: "I generally use the local TV station websites".

Last tornado that came through nearby, I watched their video feed in real time as the tornado crossed the Interstate and hit a bank branch.

I lived in Dallas/Garland in the early 80's and the local stations, mainly WBAP did a really awesome job handling the weather warnings. During that time, my ex was staying at a hotel near the interstate in Austin one weekend and called me to say she was looking at a tornado just across I-35. So, I know well what you are talking about

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken - LR ACE
FAA Remote Pilot Certificate, ATP ASMEL
Mizzou PJ '66
www.kenseals.com

Ken Seals's gear list:Ken Seals's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +12 more
OP Robert Schoner Senior Member • Posts: 1,105
Re: Weather is not the issue

Hi,

I used weather as an example of the computer not knowing where I am. Shopping at Home Depot or O'Reilly's always starts in Seattle.

Could the server being in Seattle be a factor in slow speeds?

Boc Schoner

Billiam29 Senior Member • Posts: 2,454

Robert Schoner wrote:

Hi,

I recently changed from DSL with Consolidated Communications (Phone company) to T-Mobile 5G. We have no cable in the area.

This may be the root cause of what you're seeing. If you seach on something like 'T-Mobile IP address location' you will find other instances of people on T-Mobile with the same issue.

The particular example linked below seems to indicate that this is systemic to their network architecture. T-Mobile's service apparently acts vaguely similar to a VPN in that it can "drop you out" onto the public Internet at a geographic location that's totally different than where you are actaully located. It is *NOT* inherently a VPN mind you, it's just exhibiting the same "jump off elsewhere" behavior.

https://community.t-mobile.com/tv-home-internet-7/ip-location-issue-35096

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads