Little dog B/W

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Djingonthenet Forum Member • Posts: 92
Little dog B/W

Playing about with the Mi 11 Ultra, trying to emulate the fine detail quality of my previous phone Mate 40 pro. All taken in standard or portrait mode and edited in Snapseed. I'm aware that I've over sharpened in some but I'm still learning so don't be too harsh haha!

_vlad Veteran Member • Posts: 3,056
Re: Little dog B/W

Djingonthenet wrote:

Playing about with the Mi 11 Ultra, trying to emulate the fine detail quality of my previous phone Mate 40 pro. All taken in standard or portrait mode and edited in Snapseed. I'm aware that I've over sharpened in some but I'm still learning so don't be too harsh haha!

Nice but some tweaking needed. Oversharpening- OK that is a matter of taste, but there also some NR not nice blotches + some wird rendition of some out of focus areas (nose)

It would be interesting if you can tweak it to M40P level of IQ.

If you would not mind - extra sample from M40P (I do not mean it to compete with your shots, just to have something for visual comparison, not just usual talking&talking).

-- hide signature --

Vlad

_vlad's gear list:_vlad's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +5 more
OP Djingonthenet Forum Member • Posts: 92

_vlad wrote:

Djingonthenet wrote:

Nice but some tweaking needed. Oversharpening- OK that is a matter of taste, but there also some NR not nice blotches + some wird rendition of some out of focus areas (nose)

If you would not mind - extra sample from M40P (I do not mean it to compete with your shots, just to have something for visual comparison, not just usual talking&talking).

I'd love to be able to get to that level with this phone it's going to take a lot of practise and patience I reckon, if you're willing to work for it I think this phone can't be beat but for SOOC shots it still falls short of the Mate, as does pretty much everything IMHO.

This is an unedited SOOC from the Mi.

Djingonthenet wrote:

_vlad wrote:

Djingonthenet wrote:

I'd love to be able to get to that level with this phone it's going to take a lot of practise and patience I reckon, if you're willing to work for it I think this phone can't be beat but for SOOC shots it still falls short of the Mate, as does pretty much everything IMHO.

I cannot comment as I do not own MIUltra. But SOOC can be tweaked a bit and surely IMO could be better after some effort.

What do you think about this ver.? (BW intentionally)

-- hide signature --

Vlad

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +5 more
jackwelch Contributing Member • Posts: 731

Would the P50 Pro be better for B&W seeing that it has a monochrome sensor?

jackwelch wrote:

IMO it is pretty hypothetical question. I had P20Pro with mono sensor and honestly when I did put it side by side with normal sensor output converted to B/W in post (or in-camera if you wish) it was hard job to decide which is which. Mono sensor should be theoretically better option for these type of shots, however it is mostly irrelevant for practical use - even for pixel peeper. Fact is that MONO sensor with P20P was (if I recall well) non bayer (correct me if I am wrong) but it was more noisy and thus NR will inevitably fight with its theoretical resolution advantage.

When changing to P30P I was not excited that it was gone, however honestly I never missed it  later on - seeing what you can do in POST. For direct OOC output though, it might be reasonable option.

-- hide signature --

Vlad

jackwelch Contributing Member • Posts: 731

_vlad wrote:

jackwelch wrote:

IMO it is pretty hypothetical question. I had P20Pro with mono sensor and honestly when I did put it side by side with normal sensor output converted to B/W in post (or in-camera if you wish) it was hard job to decide which is which. Mono sensor should be theoretically better option for these type of shots, however it is mostly irrelevant for practical use - even for pixel peeper. Fact is that MONO sensor with P20P was (if I recall well) non bayer (correct me if I am wrong) but it was more noisy and thus NR will inevitably fight with its theoretical resolution advantage.

When changing to P30P I was not excited that it was gone, however honestly I never missed it later on - seeing what you can do in POST. For direct OOC output though, it might be reasonable option.

A few month ago I was taking a look at monochrome cameras cause Leica had a new model and was wondering what's the cheapest monochrome camera you could buy, and gosh, most of them were pricey in the thousands.

Then I saw p50 pro had a monochrome sensor and I was like "this smartphone is a bargain."

albero Regular Member • Posts: 425

_vlad wrote:

Djingonthenet wrote:

Impressive quality! I am tempted to switch from my Huawei P40 pro to the Mate 40 pro (I must admit that Sony xperia 1 iv is also a temptation)

albero's gear list:albero's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4

albero wrote:

_vlad wrote:

Djingonthenet wrote:

Impressive quality! I am tempted to switch from my Huawei P40 pro to the Mate 40 pro (I must admit that Sony xperia 1 iv is also a temptation)

M40P vs P40P are (should be) based on same generation tech. As for phone itself, Mate is better - no doubt. Camera module differs mainly in UWA sensor. For me this lens/sensor combo is my most used configuration - as it allows me for better action (to a certain extent) and street photography. I mean you do no look on the scene from outside but you are more a part of it (directly in). And because UWA is just 18m FF EQ it has much more real use than 13-15 FF EQ from competitors (which is just too wide for normal use). Perspective and proportions are not so wildly exaggerated. And it gives 20MPix SOOC. The rest is more or less same. So if this is your type of shooting M40P is worthy to give it a try. However it will be certainly interesting to see what Sony brings on the table.

-- hide signature --

Vlad

_vlad wrote:

Djingonthenet wrote:

_vlad wrote:

Djingonthenet wrote:

I cannot comment as I do not own MIUltra. But SOOC can be tweaked a bit and surely IMO could be better after some effort.

What do you think about this ver.? (BW intentionally)

I think the camera on the Xiaomi is close to what my eyes see (not necessarily a good thing!)  The mate saw detail beyond what I can physically see which is why I loved it. This phone does have natural bokeh as it doesn't have a tof sensor so background blur is as a dslr would create through the sensor and I like that too. A mix of both is what I'm trying to achieve, the honor magic 4 ultimate looks like the one that could be the link that merges the two. I don't that I'll be getting one of those soon so I'll be persevering haha.

Just a note - TOF sensor is engaged only when you switch (or let camera switch automatically) to Portrait / Aperture simulation mode (this can be done only manually). Otherwise Bokeh/Blur is defined by lens parameters only. The bigger sensor is, the flatter the DOF is, which looks sometimes nice, sometimes makes the lens pretty unusable (no physical aperture - always wide open)). Macros or even closeups are sometimes disaster - until you do focus stacking and combine in PC.

Very good test of Magic 4 Ultimate is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVBNs7P10dI

-- hide signature --

Vlad

_vlad wrote:

Just a note - TOF sensor is engaged only when you switch (or let camera switch automatically) to Portrait / Aperture simulation mode (this can be done only manually). Otherwise Bokeh/Blur is defined by lens parameters only. The bigger sensor is, the flatter the DOF is, which looks sometimes nice, sometimes makes the lens pretty unusable (no physical aperture - always wide open)). Macros or even closeups are sometimes disaster - until you do focus stacking and combine in PC.

Very good test of Magic 4 Ultimate is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVBNs7P10dI

Yes I've seen that video, watched quite a few of his in fact, he seems to favour the same phones/brands that I do - not at all swayed by the commercial (average to ok) brands.  Hopefully one day there will be focus stacking built in to the automatic post processing or at least the ability to switch it on when needed, more and more top end phones are coming with dedicated imaging chips to help speed up the process.

ClausG76 Regular Member • Posts: 123

But the depth of field must be even lower on the Magic 4 than the Mi 11 ultra since at has the same sensor but wider aperture at 1.6 vs 2.0 on the ultra.

ClausG76 wrote:

But the depth of field must be even lower on the Magic 4 than the Mi 11 ultra since at has the same sensor but wider aperture at 1.6 vs 2.0 on the ultra.

Yep, agree - and for my liking and practical use I am not favoring those superfast lenses (esp. not having Aperture control). DOF and Bokeh is great stuff but lack of DOF in some situations is not. Being very practical - for skilled photographer it is doable to defocus/blur cleverly some areas in POST, not so to extend DOF.

-- hide signature --

Vlad

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads