external viewfinder RICOH GRIII GRIIIx

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Dondog New Member • Posts: 12
external viewfinder RICOH GRIII GRIIIx

Hi

Sorry in advance, I Just want to share my rage and frustration about having to spend 299€ for  the plastic 40mm ricoh external viewfinder.

I d gladly pay that price or more for an external electronic viewfinder but i see no news of that. One we could use on both GRIII and GRIIIx... wouldnt that be nice?

Also i cant find any third party equivalent. There s a voiglander 40mm but it seems that its price did skyrocket with the GRIIIx release and its availability... well... I just can't seem to  find any... and would that work anyway?

OK voila, feeling better already,  ricoh rant = checked

Ricoh GR III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tungsten Nordstein
Tungsten Nordstein Veteran Member • Posts: 3,179
Re: external viewfinder RICOH GRIII GRIIIx
 Tungsten Nordstein's gear list:Tungsten Nordstein's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma dp2 Quattro Ricoh GR II +8 more
OP Dondog New Member • Posts: 12

Thank you,

Quite a good idea you re giving me.

35 mm isnt  too far from 40mm so maybe that could work.

And there are more and cheaper options with 35mm than 40mm.

Juste have to do a little mental visual  cropping...

or even draw/carve  my own 40mm lines on the 35mm ovf after some testing

Nicci57
Nicci57 Regular Member • Posts: 159

Tungsten Nordstein wrote:

There's a 40mm Sony Zeiss. FDA-V1K

Used at 174 $ :

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-accessories/used-photo-and-video-accessories/used-other-photo-and-video-accessories/sony-fda-v1k-optical-viewfinder/sku-1475269/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmuiTBhDoARIsAPiv6L_fU-SBTzzdZYpZMT4fDpaMqcheokDllqPGkx_EaMjjQc2ARiOW9pAaAnSdEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It’s 35mm VF for Sony RX1 which is 35mm not 40mm !

-- hide signature --

GRist by day, LEICAist by night.
DNG only.
Don't shoot with iPhone. Shoot with GR III

Nicci57's gear list:Nicci57's gear list
Ricoh GR III Leica Q2 Ricoh GR IIIx
Metalman844 Regular Member • Posts: 350
Re: external viewfinder RICOH GRII

I faced the same dilemma with my GRII....

I found it very difficult to view the LCD screen on the back of the camera with bright sunlight from the rear....

I went back and forth over the price for the plastic Ricoh viewfinder...

I found this at half the price in used, near mint condition....

Metalman844's gear list:Metalman844's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 PD-Zoom Ricoh GR II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 +9 more
Plakanina
Plakanina Senior Member • Posts: 1,626

Just get the real thing, it’s tailored for the GR111X.

Plakanina's gear list:Plakanina's gear list
Ricoh GR IIIx Pentax K-5 II HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR

Im still paying off the mortgage I took 3 years ago for the GVA-2

Metalman844 wrote:

I faced the same dilemma with my GRII....

I found it very difficult to view the LCD screen on the back of the camera with bright sunlight from the rear....

I went back and forth over the price for the plastic Ricoh viewfinder...

I found this at half the price in used, near mint condition....

Looking great and my point exactly,

what i was  looking for in 40mm.

But I suspect this time Ricoh has bought all the second hand voiglander 40mm VF at a cheap price before releasing the GR IIIx so they could sell their GV-3

altis Senior Member • Posts: 1,086

It may be too wide for you but there are several options that are very similar to the 21-28mm GV-1.

Fujifilm have the VF-X21 and Voigtlander have one with 21 and 25mm lines.

For the Pentax Q there's the O-VF1 which has lines fora  47mm equivalent lens.

sprocket-docket Contributing Member • Posts: 708

I mean, the Ricoh GV-3 is actually a better price than other 40mm viewfinders you're likely to find anywhere, for what are actually very good optics in such a small package. And no, an add-on EVF isn't possible unless the hot shoe were majorly redesigned, or an additional port were integrated somewhere below it.

If you feel bad paying for one accessory finder, try shooting with a rangefinder like my Voigtlander Bessa T that doesn't have a built in viewfinder. Every different focal length lens needs its own finder. It's heartbreaking looking at how expensive they are. One of the Chinese optics companies needs to start manufacturing all sorts of brightline finders, it would be a niche market but a good one.

sprocket-docket's gear list:sprocket-docket's gear list
Ricoh GR IIIx Olympus E-M5 II Pentax K-1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +5 more
Plakanina
Plakanina Senior Member • Posts: 1,626

Dondog wrote:

Im still paying off the mortgage I took 3 years ago for the GVA-2

Well make a mask for it and use that

Plakanina's gear list:Plakanina's gear list
Ricoh GR IIIx Pentax K-5 II HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR

sprocket-docket wrote:

I mean, the Ricoh GV-3 is actually a better price than other 40mm viewfinders you're likely to find anywhere, for what are actually very good optics in such a small package. And no, an add-on EVF isn't possible unless the hot shoe were majorly redesigned, or an additional port were integrated somewhere below it.

Hopefully in a future iteration...

If you feel bad paying for one accessory finder, try shooting with a rangefinder like my Voigtlander Bessa T that doesn't have a built in viewfinder. Every different focal length lens needs its own finder.It's heartbreaking looking at how expensive they are.

Maybe Iam wrong and it's a lot of engineering, costly material and worth the price. It surely doesnt feel like it but what do I know. At least the new one has the correct ratio

One of the Chinese optics companies needs to start manufacturing all sorts of brightline finders, it would be a niche market but a good one.

Yeah, I have been thinking the same.

I found that :

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/175202459824?var=474404555387

but the 40mm is out of stock....

I already know I ll end up buying the damn ricoh one , I love these little cameras and I need the viewfinder.

I  just needed to vent about the price  before I do. 

Dondog wrote:

sprocket-docket wrote:

If you feel bad paying for one accessory finder, try shooting with a rangefinder like my Voigtlander Bessa T that doesn't have a built in viewfinder. Every different focal length lens needs its own finder.It's heartbreaking looking at how expensive they are.

Maybe Iam wrong and it's a lot of engineering, costly material and worth the price. It surely doesnt feel like it but what do I know. At least the new one has the correct ratio

One of the Chinese optics companies needs to start manufacturing all sorts of brightline finders, it would be a niche market but a good one.

I found that :

I already know I ll end up buying the damn ricoh one , I love these little cameras and I need the viewfinder.

I just needed to vent about the price before I do.

I have used both the 35mm and 28mm versions of those little plastic ones, they have plastic optics and they do not look very good. View is blurry and the edges are especially fuzzy. The 35 is worse than the 28, which is almost usable. I was able to find a Voigtlander 40mm finder on KEH for only $125 recently, so I snapped it up. The quality of one with good optics is surprisingly pleasant to use.

Ricoh GR IIIx Olympus E-M5 II Pentax K-1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +5 more
Metalman844 Regular Member • Posts: 350

Never mind.....

Wasn't thinking straight....

Metalman844's gear list:Metalman844's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 PD-Zoom Ricoh GR II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 +9 more
RBIV Senior Member • Posts: 1,027

sprocket-docket wrote:

If you feel bad paying for one accessory finder, try shooting with a rangefinder like my Voigtlander Bessa T that doesn't have a built in viewfinder. Every different focal length lens needs its own finder. It's heartbreaking looking at how expensive they are. One of the Chinese optics companies needs to start manufacturing all sorts of brightline finders, it would be a niche market but a good one.

...or maybe Ricoh might consider a small built-in OVF for the GRiv?

Probably easier than solving the dust issue which they do have,  or don't have,  I guess...   

RBIV's gear list:RBIV's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax KP Nikon Z fc Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited +3 more
Muus Regular Member • Posts: 281

sprocket-docket wrote:

Dondog wrote:

sprocket-docket wrote:

I found that :

I have used both the 35mm and 28mm versions of those little plastic ones, they have plastic optics and they do not look very good. View is blurry and the edges are especially fuzzy. The 35 is worse than the 28, which is almost usable. I was able to find a Voigtlander 40mm finder on KEH for only $125 recently, so I snapped it up. The quality of one with good optics is surprisingly pleasant to use.

feeling (still) somewhat uneasy about the € 299, i must say the GV-3 is not only tiny (which is an asset), but also very good optically. and an EVF would not be an alternative - the whole idea, with this camera, is to have an instantaneous, purely optical direct view, made possible by working with the snap focus settings. - after a little getting used to, pictures like this one have come within reach :

utrecht, netherlands, saturday afternoon may 14

-- hide signature --

www.hansmuus.com

Muus wrote:

sprocket-docket wrote:

Dondog wrote:

sprocket-docket wrote:

I found that :

feeling (still) somewhat uneasy about the € 299, i must say the GV-3 is not only tiny (which is an asset), but also very good optically. and an EVF would not be an alternative - the whole idea, with this camera, is to have an instantaneous, purely optical direct view, made possible by working with the snap focus settings. - after a little getting used to, pictures like this one have come within reach :

utrecht, netherlands, saturday afternoon may 14

Great shot!

Muus Regular Member • Posts: 281

thank you, andrew !

-- hide signature --

www.hansmuus.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads