Lighter replacement for Canon 70D

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
AmeliePhotography New Member • Posts: 7
Lighter replacement for Canon 70D

Hi everyone - I’m an amateur photographer and have a Canon 70D for around 8 years now. I use it when travelling, taking photos for a blog I run. I’ve recently got a puppy and it’s just too heavy carrying her bits and the camera/lenses. i have a fixed 11-16 and a fixed 52 lens but tend to use the 18-200 most of the time. I find this covers the landscape and close ups pretty well. I’d really appreciate if anyone has any recommendations on lighter alternatives as I’m sure technology has come on since I purchased it. Thanks!

Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ido Scharf
Ido Scharf Veteran Member • Posts: 5,215
Re: Lighter replacement for Canon 70D

You could go as small and light as a Sony RX100 VII or Panasonic ZS200. These won't be as great in low light as the 70D, but are pretty much the lightest you can get with a similar zoom range and a sensor that's bigger than a smartphone's.

For a more similar experience to the 70D, just lighter, look first at Micro Four Thirds. You could get, for example, a Panasonic GX9 or Olympus OM-D E-M10 III, and an Olympus 12-200mm or Panasonic 14-140mm II.

Ido Scharf's gear list:Ido Scharf's gear list
Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4
MoriceE Forum Member • Posts: 52

I second the rx100 VII, or, if you want a faster aperture, go with the zv1.

When you like the lenses you've got, you could look at the EF-m system: The m50 is a great replacement and you could still use your EF lenses with the EF-eos m adapter.

Krusty79 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,197

You mean an 11-16 zoom? Did you prefer to stay with Canon? What is your budget?

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest looking at an SL3 or M6II. Do you care about an optical or electronic viewfinder or going mirrorless?

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gkphotos79/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/greg79
"You can't be young forever, but you can always be immature" - Larry Andersen

Krusty79's gear list:Krusty79's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R IIIA Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
Optimist_Eyes Junior Member • Posts: 48
Lots of choices

There are lots of choices.

First, do you shoot action or sports or little kids or dogs running around a lot? If yes than that narrows your search to those cameras that have excellent AF-C or continuous autofocus.

If not then the small pocketable cameras like the Canon G5x or Sony RX100 (various models) might work for you quite well.

Second, do you want or need interchangeable lenses? If you do then those all-in-one cameras I just mentioned are not going to satisfy you.

Third, how important is it to retain your existing lenses. If you absolutely want to keep them (perhaps because of budget) then a Canon mirrorless or one of the smaller Canon DSLRs would be better because of the adapters. That Canon M50, M6 or a DSLR like the SL3 or T7 might be worth looking at.

Last is to carefully consider your budget. That includes fair market value for any selling of existing gear.

IF you open to a new system brand then I suggest looking closely at an Olympus OM-D EM5 Mark III and the smaller Olympus or Panasonic micro four thirds lenses. The camera bodies are smaller and lighter and the lenses are much smaller and lighter.

The Olympus system has some of the lightest cameras and lenses and the best image stabilization out there. Most have excellent weather sealing too. The Olympus OM-D EM5 Mark III paired with the 12-45 and 40-150 or 12-100 would be my suggestion based off what you have said so far.

Good luck!

Optimist_Eyes's gear list:Optimist_Eyes's gear list
Canon G5 X II Nikon D60 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 +5 more
OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 7,569

For a light and capable camera, I really like my Nikon Z50 and 18-140 mm zoom lens.

I also have a Canon M5 and 18-150 lens. That lens is farily soft and I really don't recommend the Canon M system because Canon has only made STM lenses for it and never made any of the USM style lenses that are faster focusing for camera like my 70D. It seems likely Canon will end M system production and replace it with an R style APS-C camera line. Of course that is kind of speculation, but one can't get past the Nikon 18-140 zoom lens being much sharper than the Canon 18-150.

I have tried Z cameras with F mount lenses with the FTZ adaptor. And I have tried M camras with EF-S lenses with a Canon adaptor. Both work well. But you end up with bulky systems so I never used them past just playing around with them a bit for technical curiousity.

In the mean time, while making up your mind on what to get, please post picutres of the puppy.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +27 more
OP AmeliePhotography New Member • Posts: 7

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Great to have some pointers on what to look at!

Great - thanks for the recommendations!

Yes, 11-16 zoom. I like Canon and had the 1000D before this but open to changing, just haven’t tried any other makes though. 
Looking at about £1000 (think that’s about $1200).

Also not particular about viewfinder or mirrorless - as long as it takes good quality travel pics and is light.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and the recommendations!

Re: Lots of choices

That’s really helpful - thanks for taking the time out to reply and recommendations/points to consider

Indie says thanks for the recommendations!

Krusty79 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,197

AmeliePhotography wrote:

Yes, 11-16 zoom. I like Canon and had the 1000D before this but open to changing, just haven’t tried any other makes though.
Looking at about £1000 (think that’s about $1200).

Also not particular about viewfinder or mirrorless - as long as it takes good quality travel pics and is light.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and the recommendations!

The 70D is 755 grams and the SL3 is 449 grams and the M6II is 408 grams, so you would save a lot of weight with either one. Those are the lightest Canon APS-C options that I know of. The M6II has the advantage of 32.5 mp, so that's a plus if you need to crop a lot.

The Olympus E-M5 III is 414 grams, about the same as the M6II. I don't how the weight of the Olympus lenses compares.

With mirrorless, you may notice some lag with the electronic viewfinder.

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gkphotos79/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/greg79
"You can't be young forever, but you can always be immature" - Larry Andersen

Krusty79's gear list:Krusty79's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R IIIA Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
(unknown member) New Member • Posts: 5
Canon R10

What is the Canon R10?

Heck if I know. All I know is Canon is announcing it at the end of the month along with the R7. It should be smaller and lighter than your DSLR. It 100% will be able to use your current lenses very likely focusing faster and more accurately.

Will it have IBIS? How fast can it shoot? No clue yet. Price?  Don't know yet?  Availability?  HA!  But is could be the best option for you when it gets announced. Or not.

OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 7,569

What cute little fella.  Thanks for sharing.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +27 more
(unknown member) New Member • Posts: 5
Re: Canon R10

Joe Cey wrote:

What is the Canon R10?

Heck if I know. All I know is Canon is announcing it at the end of the month along with the R7. It should be smaller and lighter than your DSLR. It 100% will be able to use your current lenses very likely focusing faster and more accurately.

Will it have IBIS? How fast can it shoot? No clue yet. Price? Don't know yet? Availability? HA! But is could be the best option for you when it gets announced. Or not.

A couple sits are saying the R10 is the replacement for the 90D.  Maybe I was right for once. There are already some fun RF lenses like the $650 100-400 and the compact 70-200/F4.  As well as a 'cheap' 50/1.8 and not too expensive 30/1.8 and 85/2 macros.

I'd stick with the lenses you have and see how they work first.  Maybe no need to buy new lenses.

Re: Canon R10

Great, that’s really helpful - thank you!

plantdoc Veteran Member • Posts: 4,245

Look at Panasonic or Olympus m4/3 cameras and lenses. Olympus om 10 Mk4 or 3 with a 14-150 lens would be much smaller and lighter than a 70d. I also still have one that mostly sits in drawer. I wouldn't worry about comments about the sensor is too small, not enough pixels etc. I make 13 X 19 prints from even low light museums using fast, inexpensive primes. Plenty of lens and camera options in this system often overlooked.

Greg

Ilford Fujifilm Forum Member • Posts: 74

Panasonic autofocus sucks, and OMD/Olympus development is kind of stuck or repeating itself. Oops...

Ido Scharf
Ido Scharf Veteran Member • Posts: 5,215

Ilford Fujifilm wrote:

Panasonic autofocus sucks,

Have you tried it? It works great for stills

and OMD/Olympus development is kind of stuck or repeating itself.

Even if that were true (not saying either way), it’s great for a lot of people.

Ido Scharf's gear list:Ido Scharf's gear list
Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4
Ilford Fujifilm Forum Member • Posts: 74

Ido Scharf wrote:

Ilford Fujifilm wrote:

Panasonic autofocus sucks,

Have you tried it? It works great for stills

and OMD/Olympus development is kind of stuck or repeating itself.

Even if that were true (not saying either way), it’s great for a lot of people.

Why recommend a Panasonic camera that sucks at video AF, when there are many cameras that do both video and photos autofocus fine?

Why recommend a 1000 dollar Olympus camera when it is not even better than a second hand 10 year old camera from other brands?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads