Nikon D500 memory card help needed

Started May 8, 2022 | Discussions
Swimming and Baseball Dad Forum Member • Posts: 57
Re: Nikon D500 memory card help needed

I would suggest starting with an SD card you have.  See how that works with your shooting.  If you are constantly waiting for it buffering, then a faster card is in order, otherwise, the cheapest Sandisk CF Express is probably your best bet if you want the security of (2) cards.  It can use UHS-II cards which double the speed of UHS-I, but these cost pretty much the same as the slowest XQD and CF Express.  Whatever you get, you'll also need a reader.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can DIY it with a $15 128GB SSD MVE drive and $40 adapter, and $5 thermal paste.  I went with the 256GB drive for $40, and it works pretty well.  Haven't had an opportunity to push its limits yet.

Swimming and Baseball Dad's gear list:Swimming and Baseball Dad's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-6.3G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +2 more
Blufftonian
Blufftonian Senior Member • Posts: 2,313

I use my D500 mostly for bird photography and I use a XQD G Series 64GB (440/400) card and a SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I (170MB/s) set as overflow.

I don't shoot very large bursts and I don't shoot video but these cards work just fine for me.

Blufftonian's gear list:Blufftonian's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +8 more
OP DebbieKW New Member • Posts: 12

Hi, yes - not finding a whole lot of difference cost wise.

Guess it makes the most sense to buy the V90 UHS II and just go with the CFexpress Type B as a secondary (even though it is way faster than what I need) as they are actually less expensive and faster than the QXD cards I can find of the same size

What do you mean when you say I need a reader?  Can’t I just plug the camera into the computer to export the photos?

Nice to hear that I don’t need to be looking at cards that are crazy expensive!!

Blufftonian

DebbieKW wrote:

What do you mean when you say I need a reader? Can’t I just plug the camera into the computer to export the photos?

Yes, you can just use an appropriate USB cable to transfer images to your computer, but card readers are much faster and they don't drain your camera batteries.

My Win 10 PC has a built-in SD card reader (although I almost never overflow to the SD card with my D500) and an XQD/SD reader cost me just over $20 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Reader-Rocketek-USB3-0-Compatible-Windows/dp/B07VV2Y2KP

Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +8 more
rscott900ss
rscott900ss Regular Member • Posts: 496

DebbieKW wrote:

Guess it makes the most sense to buy the V90 UHS II and just go with the CFexpress Type B as a secondary (even though it is way faster than what I need) as they are actually less expensive and faster than the QXD cards I can find of the same size

What do you mean when you say I need a reader? Can’t I just plug the camera into the computer to export the photos?

I guess most folks use a card reader but I just use the supplied cord (and purchased a spare for my laptop bag).

The D500 downloads photos at a very fast rate... probably three or more times faster than my D750 does.  I am a casual shooter and generally don't have many photos to download.  Often, it's just a handful.

I don't know which I'm more paranoid about: constantly removing/inserting cards in the camera's card slots, or constantly plugging/unplugging cords from the camera's USB socket.  

rscott900ss's gear list:rscott900ss's gear list
Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +22 more
Blufftonian

rscott900ss wrote:

DebbieKW wrote:

I guess most folks use a card reader but I just use the supplied cord (and purchased a spare for my laptop bag).

The D500 downloads photos at a very fast rate... probably three or more times faster than my D750 does. I am a casual shooter and generally don't have many photos to download. Often, it's just a handful.

I don't know which I'm more paranoid about: constantly removing/inserting cards in the camera's card slots, or constantly plugging/unplugging cords from the camera's USB socket.

Before I bought my D500 I always downloaded from my D7200 via a cable to my Win 10 PC.    It worked fine but it was a little slow and I frequently found it using a lot of camera battery power.  With my D500 I take a lot more shots - maybe 150-250 per outing - and I find it much faster downloading using a card reader.  I use my PC for post processing as it’s more powerful with a faster GPU, double large monitors, more memory, etc., than my laptop.

Ok - thanks everyone for your help!  It is truly appreciated!

I have selected my cards and will look at readers.

rscott900ss
rscott900ss Regular Member • Posts: 496

Blufftonian wrote: With my D500 I take a lot more shots - maybe 150-250 per outing -

When I first bought my D500, I noted that I rarely, if ever, shot bursts of continuous photos and although the D500's 10fps was a feature a lot of folks appreciated, it would be wasted on me.

Things have changed.  

Maybe I should start shopping for a card reader... 

rscott900ss's gear list:rscott900ss's gear list
Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +22 more
davethebirder Contributing Member • Posts: 548
Re: Machine gunner or sniper?

DebbieKW wrote:

For David and rscott.

I will be using the continuous mode a lot to try to get the right shots of the dogs and horses in action. Then need it to refresh fast enough for the next dog coming. That is the only reason I am worried about write speed. I was hoping I got a fast enough card and camera to do several bursts in short succession.

If that's your need I would use an XQD card (as I do), that will give you access to a 200 shot buffer at one press of the button .......

......... in fact in reality the camera body only has a 12 image buffer (r12) ........ but has the magic ability to shoot 200 shots (14 bit lossless compressed) thanks to the camera's fast throughput and the XQD cards write speed ...... (the top screen shows around "r6" and stays there while shooting a burst)

...... and that is limited to 200 "only" by the camera's FW ...... without that limit the cameras would shoot until the battery runs down ......... (implemented to prevent an accidental shutter button press in a camera bag)

......... let go even for an instant and you can shoot another round of 200 images !....

However, even an SD card will give you a decent buffer depending on the card speed ...... but, with an XQD card you get the full specs of the D500 which even the Z9 cannot match (lossless uncompressed 14 bit) ....... few cameras can !!

I presume things are similar with a CF express card but I have no experience with them ....

...... I run with a XQD 64 Gbs and a XQD 120 Gbs cards in two D500s!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/

davethebirder's gear list:davethebirder's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm F4E FL ED VR +1 more
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 14,596
The problem with the machine gun paradigm

davethebirder wrote:

If that's your need I would use an XQD card (as I do), that will give you access to a 200 shot buffer at one press of the button

So how much time does it take to transfer 200 images from card/camera to PC and then to assess each one? Let alone process. Say 10 seconds just to view each one. That's over half an hour just for a very casual viewing, no processing.

You guys can do what you like, à chacun son goût, but absolutely not for me.

Blufftonian
Re: The problem with the machine gun paradigm

David Lal wrote:

davethebirder wrote:

If that's your need I would use an XQD card (as I do), that will give you access to a 200 shot buffer at one press of the button

So how much time does it take to transfer 200 images from card/camera to PC and then to assess each one? Let alone process. Say 10 seconds just to view each one. That's over half an hour just for a very casual viewing, no processing.

You guys can do what you like, à chacun son goût, but absolutely not for me.

First off, I know a lot of bird photographers and none of them shoot 200-shot bursts. Most of the time I’ll shoot single shots with an occasional 3-5 shot burst.

But on a good day I can easily come home with 200 or more RAW images on a card, so to answer your questions; 2-3 minutes to import the images from the card into LightRoom on my PC. From there I can easily pick out 20 or images that interest me, deleting the others, in 5-10 minutes. Batch processing in DeNoise and/or Sharpen, if I need to, takes another 10 minutes max.

Thankfully we’re not still stuck back in the dark ages of film when it took me much longer to develop a roll of 36 images, never mind printing them.

Ergo ...

Blufftonian wrote:

First off, I know a lot of bird photographers and none of them shoot 200-shot bursts. Most of the time I’ll shoot single shots with an occasional 3-5 shot burst.

Ergo, if the norm is nothing like 200 shot bursts for birds (or dogs?) then there is no need to select and pay over the top for hardware that supports that objective.

As to film and wet chemistry days, I abandoned 35mm (then called miniature) very early on preferring medium format 120 on a 6x6 camera: a mere 12 frames with which to deal.

I still use my 6x6 Kowa for birding occasionally:

Blufftonian
Re: Ergo ...

David Lal wrote:

Blufftonian wrote:

Ergo, if the norm is nothing like 200 shot bursts for birds (or dogs?) then there is no need to select and pay over the top for hardware that supports that objective.

As to film and wet chemistry days, I abandoned 35mm (then called miniature) very early on preferring medium format 120 on a 6x6 camera: a mere 12 frames with which to deal.

A few random thoughts:

Maybe it's better to have and not need, than need and not have?

As you know, these advanced cameras have many more features than just larger buffers and faster frame rates.

I also think it's a function of marketing.  When "C" develops a camera with these features, "N" and "S" all have to go one better.  Do you remember back when MS Excel and Lotus123 were adding many new features with every release to try to stay dominant in the spreadsheet market?  For a few years I made a lot of money developing Excel macro and VBA systems for a financial company in New York, and currently I produce complex spreadsheets for our local Audubon Society, yet I'm probably only familiar with less than half of what Excel can do!

I still have my old workhorse 500C/M that I bought in the '70s.  It's a wonderful piece of totally manual engineering and a terrific landscape and portrait camera.  I don't use it for photographing birds though.

davethebirder Contributing Member • Posts: 548

David Lal wrote:

Blufftonian wrote:

I've spent many thousands over the years on photo gear and currently use two D500s and a D750 ...... and have the AFS-600 F4E FL/ Nikkor AF-S 500mm F4D / Tamron G2 150-600mm and probably around 13 lenses of which only three are not Nikon ........ I'm not going to tally up the total cost just in case reality hits me ........

So, apart from saving a few bucks at the point of purchase, I can't thing of one good reason to try and economize on memory cards that will probably last longer than the cameras and at the same time reduce the performance of my two D500s ......

btw. the SD slot in one D500 will no longer retain the card ....... Nikon wants €400 to replace the board it's on ....... not having to have the camera repaired because the XQD slot is fine has saved the price of three XQD cards .......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/

davethebirder's gear list:davethebirder's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm F4E FL ED VR +1 more
Blufftonian

davethebirder wrote:

... btw. the SD slot in one D500 will no longer retain the card ....... Nikon wants €400 to replace the board it's on ....... not having to have the camera repaired because the XQD slot is fine has saved the price of three XQD cards ......

The only time I've ever written images to the SD card - set to overflow - on my D500 was early when I first bought it and I forgot to replace the XQD card in the camera after downloading images from a prior shoot.

I put maybe 150 photos on the SD card that day.  I can't say I really noticed any difference until I got home and realized the camera didn't have the XQD card in it.  I haven't made that mistake since.

Worse still ...

Blufftonian wrote:

The only time I've ever written images to the SD card - set to overflow - on my D500 was early when I first bought it and I forgot to replace the XQD card in the camera after downloading images from a prior shoot.

... Going out with one's camera only to find it's battery is still in the charger at home and not having a spare!

Swimming and Baseball Dad Forum Member • Posts: 57

DebbieKW wrote:

If speed's not an issue with your existing SD card, getting the cheapest (good quality brand) CFExpress type B would provide in camera backup in case of a card failure.  Future cameras are likely to use CFExpress for longer than XQD, so smart investment is in CFEx.  If you don't already have an SD card reader, then I suggest getting a CFExpress reader, but if you already have a fast SD card reader, just make that card your primary, and just leave the CFExpress in the camera for backup.

As your needs change, maybe the CFExpress will become your primary card and at that point you should get a reader if haven't already.  If you're taking enough photos that the SD card is too slow, then a camera transfer will be very painful.

But if it works for your workflow, there's no need to buy excess crap. My record for a weekend swim meet was 4000 shots, which I culled in camera to about 3000 before transferring.  Your workflow is likely different, but just wanted you to know where my mind is coming from.

Swimming and Baseball Dad's gear list:Swimming and Baseball Dad's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-6.3G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads