First hand experience by glasses wearers of GV-3 viewfinder ?

Started 5 months ago | Questions
Muus Regular Member • Posts: 281
First hand experience by glasses wearers of GV-3 viewfinder ?

hello,

i would most of all like to know whether it scratches your glasses, as i don't see any rubber-like protection on the eye piece of the viewfinder, and its surface doesn't seem to be perfectly flat either.

thanks in advance !

hans

-- hide signature --

www.hansmuus.com

ANSWER:
Tungsten Nordstein
Tungsten Nordstein Veteran Member • Posts: 3,179
Re: First hand experience by glasses wearers of GV-3 viewfinder ?

Muus wrote:

hello,

i would most of all like to know whether it scratches your glasses, as i don't see any rubber-like protection on the eye piece of the viewfinder, and its surface doesn't seem to be perfectly flat either.

thanks in advance !

hans

It looks risky. I have the Voigtlander 28/35 mini, which looks very similar to the GV-3. The important thing is to be able to see the brightlines. I can see them by just keeping a slight distance between the viewfinder and my glasses lens. But the Voigtlander 28/35 mini *does* have a small rubber surround on the VF rear, so I do not need to worry.

If the GV-3 does not have a rubber surround, I would hesitate to use it.

-- hide signature --
 Tungsten Nordstein's gear list:Tungsten Nordstein's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma dp2 Quattro Ricoh GR II +8 more
OP Muus Regular Member • Posts: 281

Tungsten Nordstein wrote:

Muus wrote:

hello,

thanks in advance !

hans

It looks risky. I have the Voigtlander 28/35 mini, which looks very similar to the GV-3. The important thing is to be able to see the brightlines. I can see them by just keeping a slight distance between the viewfinder and my glasses lens. But the Voigtlander 28/35 mini *does* have a small rubber surround on the VF rear, so I do not need to worry.

thank you. strange, isn’t it ? there’s quite a few people wearing glasses in japan.

-- hide signature --

www.hansmuus.com

Tungsten Nordstein

Muus wrote:

Muus wrote:

hello,

thanks in advance !

hans

thank you. strange, isn’t it ? there’s quite a few people wearing glasses in japan.

Yes. Is there another small VF you could use? I'd suggest the Voigtlander 28/35, but I just saw a shocking s/h price on ebay – £536!

I wonder whether there is a way to make a little rubber gasket? A thin sheet of self-adhesive rubber cut to size?

-- hide signature --
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma dp2 Quattro Ricoh GR II +8 more

Muus wrote:

Muus wrote:

hello,

thanks in advance !

hans

Yes. Is there another small VF you could use? I'd suggest the Voigtlander 28/35, but I just saw a shocking s/h price on ebay – £536!

I wonder whether there is a way to make a little rubber gasket? A thin sheet of self-adhesive rubber cut to size?

yes, i was thinking along those lines as well. or maybe i should try and find an old sigma VF-21 viewfinder originally meant for the also 40mm eq. sigma dp2, of which the plastic rim is at least perfectly even. - but if there’s anyone wearing glasses out there who is using the GV-3 viewfinder on their Ricoh, i’d very much like to hear your experiences !

-- hide signature --

www.hansmuus.com

sprocket-docket Contributing Member • Posts: 707

Many hot shoe finders don't have soft surfaces around the eye opening, such as my Voigtlander 35mm finder which I use with my Bessa rangefinder. I've never found the plastic frame to scratch my glasses. I usually get polycarbonate lenses with AR coatings, they of course end up with small scratches eventually, but nothing that seems to me to have come from the viewfinder. I don't think there are sharp enough edges, and/or the plastic isn't hard enough. Granted this isn't an experience with the GV-3 in particular, but I suspect it would be somewhat similar. Mainly it's metal surfaces in viewfinders which chew up glasses.

sprocket-docket's gear list:sprocket-docket's gear list
Ricoh GR IIIx Olympus E-M5 II Pentax K-1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +5 more
Tungsten Nordstein

sprocket-docket wrote:

Many hot shoe finders don't have soft surfaces around the eye opening, such as my Voigtlander 35mm finder which I use with my Bessa rangefinder. I've never found the plastic frame to scratch my glasses. I usually get polycarbonate lenses with AR coatings, they of course end up with small scratches eventually, but nothing that seems to me to have come from the viewfinder. I don't think there are sharp enough edges, and/or the plastic isn't hard enough. Granted this isn't an experience with the GV-3 in particular, but I suspect it would be somewhat similar. Mainly it's metal surfaces in viewfinders which chew up glasses.

Is the GV-3 plastic?

-- hide signature --

Hard to tell, it has a similar textured paint to the GR bodies, but I suspect it is plastic.

Ricoh GR IIIx Olympus E-M5 II Pentax K-1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +5 more

sprocket-docket wrote:

Hard to tell, it has a similar textured paint to the GR bodies, but I suspect it is plastic.

from what i’ve read, it is made from plastic (unlike the magnesium body of the GR’s), but the plastic is rough, not flat. still waiting to hear from a bespectacled photographer who owns one !

-- hide signature --

www.hansmuus.com

I handled and used one. It is exactly the same as the GV-2, so you might find someone with experience of the GV-2. The GV-3 hasn't been out for long and is pretty expensive, so I doubt it's had many takers.

Personally I just picked up a like-new used Voigtlander 40mm viewfinder (exactly the same plastic housing as the 35mm one that I already owned) for considerably cheaper than the GV-3 so that is what I'll be using. The GV-3 is quite nice for what it is.

sprocket-docket wrote:

I handled and used one. It is exactly the same as the GV-2, so you might find someone with experience of the GV-2. The GV-3 hasn't been out for long and is pretty expensive, so I doubt it's had many takers.

Personally I just picked up a like-new used Voigtlander 40mm viewfinder (exactly the same plastic housing as the 35mm one that I already owned) for considerably cheaper than the GV-3 so that is what I'll be using. The GV-3 is quite nice for what it is.

thank you, andrew. i have ordered the GV-3 for indeed a lot of money, but the voigtländer 40 mm has become an equally expensive rarity, and of the sigma vf-21 (also for 40mm eq.) i could only find dirty copies. so…
by the way, i enjoyed your site and agree with your remarks re. consumerism vs appreciating and making use of the fact that ‘certain camera’s, lenses and other imaging tools have a character of their own’.

and thank you tungsten for helping me making my choice as well.

all the best (and peace for all),

hans

-- hide signature --

www.hansmuus.com

Muus wrote:

sprocket-docket wrote:

thank you, andrew. i have ordered the GV-3 for indeed a lot of money, but the voigtländer 40 mm has become an equally expensive rarity, and of the sigma vf-21 (also for 40mm eq.) i could only find dirty copies. so…
by the way, i enjoyed your site and agree with your remarks re. consumerism vs appreciating and making use of the fact that ‘certain camera’s, lenses and other imaging tools have a character of their own’.

and thank you tungsten for helping me making my choice as well.

all the best (and peace for all),

hans

Thanks for the kind words! I think you will enjoy the GV-3, it is a marvel for its size, in terms of optical clarity and brightness.

and last but not least, i think i have solved the scratching problem with duct tape (of the narrowest, thinnest variety) : i fixed a short strip loosely on a clean flat surface, and cut off with a stanley knive (don’t try scissors) two strips of max. 2 mm. wide, which i then fixed on the upper and lower part of the rim of the viewfinder.

www.hansmuus.com

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads