C&C for my first attempt at DSO astrophotography with 85 mm lens

Started 5 months ago | Questions
ProximaVega New Member • Posts: 3
C&C for my first attempt at DSO astrophotography with 85 mm lens

Hello!

2 days ago I went out of the city I live in and attempted to capture a part of the Milky Way. The one that houses the pelican nebula and, if got it right, also the NA nebula.

50x4 sec exposures at ISO3200, 85mm f/1.8 SONY lens on a SONY a7 III. Just a tripod, untracked. 30 flat, 30 dark and 10 bias frames too.

It was a Bortle Class 2 sky (~21.9, I suppose).

Is my photo any good? What should be taken into consideration next time?
Are there any other target I could capture with 85mm lens (FF) and how do I find them (stellarium?) ?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a7 Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
swimswithtrout Veteran Member • Posts: 4,145
Re: C&C for my first attempt at DSO astrophotography with 85 mm lens

Excellent work for a static tripod !!! Yes, you got the NA and Pelican, as well as the Sadr Complex.

hha Contributing Member • Posts: 727

Excellent for a first attempt, with darks, lights and flats in 50 x 4 = 200 seconds. A Bortle 2 sky helps. You used a Sony 85mm f/1.8 lens. In 4 seconds you will get 60" of sky rotation. Barely visible. The image quality in the corners is too amazing for f/1.8. Was the image taken at f/1.8 or did you stop down?

Thanks for sharing.

hha

hha's gear list:hha's gear list
Olympus TG-630 iHS Nikon D3200 Nikon D3300 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z6 +4 more
OP ProximaVega New Member • Posts: 3

Thank you! I’ll be working on it to get even better results.

OP ProximaVega New Member • Posts: 3

I actually did use f/1.8, but it’s a crop. Had to get rid of trees and power lines. Tried at f/2.0 and got similar results, just a tiny bit darker.  Perhaps 2.8 would make it sharper, but I had to choose between the widest aperture and higher ISO. Didn’t want to introduce too much noise.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads