Best Minolta Camera Ever

Started Apr 21, 2022 | Discussions
kcdogger Veteran Member • Posts: 4,842
Best Minolta Camera Ever

Curious.  In your opinion, what is the best Minolta camera ever made?

Peace.

John

kcdogger's gear list:kcdogger's gear list
Olympus TG-6 Panasonic ZS100 Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS80 +46 more
neilt3
neilt3 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,361
Re: Best Minolta Camera Ever

I don't know if you can say best , but my favourite Minolta cameras are the manual focus XD7 and X700 , the Dynax 7 and Dynax 7d .

I own and use them all , depending on what I'm doing I'll pick which to use .

It's hard to say a "best" as it depends on your needs  at the time .

neilt3's gear list:neilt3's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Minolta DiMAGE 7 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi +70 more
joelbolden Regular Member • Posts: 208

I've a number of Minolta film slr's and one Minolta digital...the A2.  When it comes to film, I'll be torn between the Dynax 7 and Dynax 9; with a slight preference for the 9.  I like my Konica Minolta A2 so much I own 2 and rotate; plus xtra screw on lenses.

joelbolden's gear list:joelbolden's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z6 Fujifilm XP120 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-70 +16 more
Hike Pics
Hike Pics Veteran Member • Posts: 3,238

Agree, "Best" is a subjective term. However, my favorites.....

Film (P&S) : Zoom 9T

Film (SLR) : X-700, Maxxum 70, Maxxum 650si

Digital : A2, Z5

3Percent
3Percent Senior Member • Posts: 1,260
I'll bite

I took your question as having to pick only one, if I were forced too... that takes courage LOL

The first camera that comes to mind is the Maxxum 9. It does everything so well and with so little power. It's a complete joy to use, and if your country gets invaded all you have to do is install a turret and tracks on it and you can go to battle to win back your freedom.

Then take pictures of your success.

3Percent's gear list:3Percent's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Canon PowerShot S120 Fujifilm X-S1 Canon PowerShot G10 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +18 more
Gand-Alf Forum Member • Posts: 77

My favorite Konica Minolta cameras are the Maxxum 7D and Dimage A2.  These two models I have associated with the brand name over the years.  Beautiful works of art in design, function and results.

MikeInOr
MikeInOr Senior Member • Posts: 1,690

I know a couple people that would go to fists when arguing whether the Minolta CLE is the best camera Minolta ever made or not. It is not my preferred form factor though.

SRT101 - The only Minolta camera I have with mirror lockup which makes it perfect for mounting on a telescope or microscope. It is also fully mechanical and usable without a battery.

XD11 - A great stout camera that has always done an excellent job for me.

X700 - The latest greatest hi-tech manual focus camera and has always giving me excellent results. The XD11 has a more solid feel but the automation of the X700 is nice when you don't the camera frequently.

Maxxum 7000 - My father purchased one in 1985 and it is what I learned photography on. It did everything I needed for high school and college level photography classes. I still have it. It still works perfectly. I like the solid feel of the metal body. For the price they go for today it would be REALLY difficult to find a better bang per buck in the used film body market. This was my only camera for 20 years!

Maxxum 7 - The latest full featured pro level camera. I have only had mine for a few years now but really love using it! I prefer it to my Maxxum 9 which is a bit heavier and a bit more bulky although built like a tank!

Maxxum 70 - The last Minolta film camera (I believe) It is nice and sleek. Perfect for taking on a trip. I miss the intuitive controls of the Maxxum 7.

Minolta Z3 - Not a top of the line camera but my first digital camera in 2005. I have thousands of photos from this camera and I am very pleased with them. At the time I could not justify paying a premium for a top of the line digital camera when I knew it would be antiquated in a year or two so I went for the middle of the line. I didn't get a DSLR until the Sony A33 which I felt was finally superior to film and a worthwhile investment.

MikeInOr's gear list:MikeInOr's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony 20mm F2.8 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 +13 more
PDX700
PDX700 Junior Member • Posts: 26

Add a vote for the X700. It was the first nice camera that I purchased when I enrolled in a college photography class. It has a soft spot in my heart and if I could only keep one, I would choose it over my Nikon F100 and D750.

Dennis Forum Pro • Posts: 21,627

joelbolden wrote:

I've a number of Minolta film slr's and one Minolta digital...the A2.

Probably a good choice. I shot with a guy who had one and it seemed like a fun camera, plus it deliver pretty good results. I remember someone in Minolta saying they had no interest in DSLRs (before they finally caved) because fixed sensor cameras like the A2 were ideal for digital.

When it comes to film, I'll be torn between the Dynax 7 and Dynax 9; with a slight preference for the 9.

Agreed. I think the 7 is probably the pinnacle of their technical achievement, but the 9 was just perfect. I preferred the 7 when shooting handheld and the 9 with a tripod (or with bigger lenses).

The 600si was a little gem of a camera, too, but kind of the baby brother to the 7 & 9.

- Dennis
--
Gallery at http://kingofthebeasts.smugmug.com

OP kcdogger Veteran Member • Posts: 4,842

how about the XD11?

John

kcdogger's gear list:kcdogger's gear list
Olympus TG-6 Panasonic ZS100 Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS80 +46 more
John KM/linhof Contributing Member • Posts: 523

The film XK and Maxxum 9 are both well made and almost indestructible. But my first Minolta, the SR7, is in the running too.

-- hide signature --

Linhofbiker

John KM/linhof's gear list:John KM/linhof's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Fujifilm X-E1
Tjaika Regular Member • Posts: 280

Never had a real Minolta camera, so my vote go to a Minolta DNA camera, A850/A900 (have both).  In the film days most of the family had either Olympus or Minolta. (OM-1 and OM4ti myself).

If I got by a A9000 or a 7D I might collect them.

Tjaika's gear list:Tjaika's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a99 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 +9 more
SafariBob
SafariBob Veteran Member • Posts: 4,430
CL

n/t

SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +6 more
Douglas Boyd
Douglas Boyd Contributing Member • Posts: 690

kcdogger wrote:

Curious. In your opinion, what is the best Minolta camera ever made?

Peace.

John

At this point I would have to say Maxxum/Dynax 7 is the best film camera. The 9 is a bit too heavy, the 70 is lighter but lacks the data back. I am thinking about getting the 5 because it is a 1/4 pound lighter than the 70 and may be easier to carry when hiking.

What I am looking for is reasonably light f1.4 lenses in the A-mount. The biggest problem I have with these Minolta film cameras is the limited speed of color film, so I need some faster lenses.

Douglas Boyd's gear list:Douglas Boyd's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R II Sony a6300 Sony a99 II Panasonic GH5 +58 more
DeanHolt New Member • Posts: 8

Mmmm and mmmmm again ! Pick one ? Difficult ! I'm going to go with the X-700. I've shot stuff on that that genuinely has blown me away. Good lens ? Yes but the metering system has got to be as important and the X-700 (for me) can't be beaten. There, done it

However, I bought an XG-1 in 2000, payed £110.00 2nd hand for it (Collage Cameras, Walthamstow...anyone here remember them) and that was incredible. I shot a lot of slides on it and its ability to nail the exposure was amazing...really. So with that, i'm nominating the XG-1 as the second best camera Minolta ever made

Best All

Dean

By-the-way, my X-700 is currently wearing a Auto Rokkor PF 1.4 58mm leans from a 1965 SR-7 (not the best camera Minolta ever made;-)

minoltak
minoltak Regular Member • Posts: 259

If I should vote for a best Minolta camera I would say Dynax/Maxxum 7 or Dynax/Maxxum 800si. If I had an oportunity to buy one of these or a X700 or Dynax/Maxxum 9 I would do so.

minoltak's gear list:minoltak's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 +3 more
NikonMan09
NikonMan09 Contributing Member • Posts: 913

Maxxum 7.

-- hide signature --

Fred
Shot Minolta SLR/DSLR and Sony DSLR 1978-2008. Switched to Nikon in 2009.

NikonMan09's gear list:NikonMan09's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z fc Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +12 more
BackPacker1532 Regular Member • Posts: 249

I don't know about "the best", but I have owned XD7, lovelly camera, 7000AF, 800si and the D7 (digital),  this was without doubt the worst and I suppose the 800si would have to be the best.  All my Minolta gear will be for sale shortly.

BackPacker1532's gear list:BackPacker1532's gear list
Nikon Coolpix L320 Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D3 Nikon D850 +6 more
Asla
Asla Senior Member • Posts: 1,296
Minolta

kcdogger wrote:

Curious. In your opinion, what is the best Minolta camera ever made?

Peace.

John

Hi!

Best that I have used is Minolta AL. Robust and reliable even when bit by bit dying (first light meter, then rangefinder system, after that sticky shutter). But it actually died only after it dived in to river... Before that, it served me well from 1981 to 2003. Also broken light meter teached me alot about exposure...

Some lovely photos made with it I have later scanned and printed.

A s l a

Rest in peace AL... Died but not forgotten.

Hike Pics
Hike Pics Veteran Member • Posts: 3,238
Re: Minolta

It looks a lot like my old Yashica EE from the 60s. It's still working, including the selenium cell. Maybe I'll get it out for the fall colors.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads