Using a Z7 to livestream an hour-long church service

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Straz Regular Member • Posts: 372
Using a Z7 to livestream an hour-long church service

Our church's video camera just mysteriously stopped feeding HDMI out, so my Nikon Z7 has been pressed into emergency service to record their Easter service.

Is there any solution yet for keeping the video going past 30 minutes without having to press the record button again at the 30 minute mark?

Our pastor thinks Sony no longer has this limitation, so I'm wondering if there is a better workaround for my Z7 yet?

It also appears the Z9 has a longer 125 minute video limit. How about other Z cameras newer than my Z7?

Thanks much!

Straz's gear list:Straz's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 70-200 F2.8 VR +7 more
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kaz911 Regular Member • Posts: 272
Re: Using a Z7 to livestream an hour-long church service

Do you need to record - or just have the HDMI video out?

If you need to record - you can't go beyond the 30min limit.

If you just need the HDMI video out - you are fine - you can disable the power down and have clean HDMI out from the Z7 until you run out of power.

So if you have an external recorder you are not bound by the 30m as long as you grab the video via HDMI.

Sony and 30m limit - I think that depends on the camera.

kaz911's gear list:kaz911's gear list
Nikon Z7
AZ Indie Shooter Regular Member • Posts: 191

Straz wrote:

Our church's video camera just mysteriously stopped feeding HDMI out, so my Nikon Z7 has been pressed into emergency service to record their Easter service.

Is there any solution yet for keeping the video going past 30 minutes without having to press the record button again at the 30 minute mark?

Our pastor thinks Sony no longer has this limitation, so I'm wondering if there is a better workaround for my Z7 yet?

It also appears the Z9 has a longer 125 minute video limit. How about other Z cameras newer than my Z7?

Thanks much!

An external monitor/recorder [i.e. Ninja V] is the only solution that I am aware of. I run 2x Z6ii's and a solo Z6, all have Ninja V's on them, and I can record until the SSD's fill up --so hours upon hours depending on the CoDec capture settings, etc.

AZ Indie Shooter's gear list:AZ Indie Shooter's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z30
OP Straz Regular Member • Posts: 372

Got it. Thanks!

Straz's gear list:Straz's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 70-200 F2.8 VR +7 more
kaz911 Regular Member • Posts: 272

If you need to record - I would recommend the BlackMagic ATEM Mini ISO - gives you 4 HDMI inputs in 1080p - and USB out to disk to store all the channels in parallel - including a Resolve Project file ready to import.

You can also use the Mini ISO to stream in real time via the popular streaming services via built in ethernet.

The ATEM Mini ISO is a powerhouse for its size and price. I have it and I have the big brother - the Extreme ISO with 8 HDMI in and more headroom for "effects"

Then you are camera independent and can use most HDMI camera's.

kaz911's gear list:kaz911's gear list
Nikon Z7
SteveoM Regular Member • Posts: 196

This should work:

Camera HDMI out -> El Gato Cam Link 4k -> USB 3.2 ----> OBS (software) +/- VB Audio Voicemeeter (software)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads