APS-C on a Sony a7R III

Started Mar 30, 2022 | Discussions
mouseclubhouse Junior Member • Posts: 37
APS-C on a Sony a7R III

I have a Sony a7r III, and I have the chance to get a 28-200mm APS-C lens. I know this is a full-frame camera, but I also know an APS-C lens can work on it, but at what cost? Am I correct that it would crop it more (my understanding is that a 200mm would be more like a 300mm?)  and would it also negatively affect the quality?

Sony a7R IIIA
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
photosse Regular Member • Posts: 170
Re: APS-C on a Sony a7R III

mouseclubhouse wrote:

I have a Sony a7r III, and I have the chance to get a 28-200mm APS-C lens. I know this is a full-frame camera, but I also know an APS-C lens can work on it, but at what cost? Am I correct that it would crop it more (my understanding is that a 200mm would be more like a 300mm?) and would it also negatively affect the quality?

yes,

I don't know 28-200 APSC lenses that would become 42/300 equivalent....

but some 18-200 would be more interesting

Quality wise, you lost 13.3 Mpx, and 1 stop for noise at same final size

araudan
araudan Contributing Member • Posts: 920

mouseclubhouse wrote:

I have a Sony a7r III, and I have the chance to get a 28-200mm APS-C lens. I know this is a full-frame camera, but I also know an APS-C lens can work on it, but at what cost? Am I correct that it would crop it more (my understanding is that a 200mm would be more like a 300mm?) and would it also negatively affect the quality?

The only 28-200 lens for E mount I'm aware of is by Tamron and it's a full frame lens.  You could use that lens in APS-C mode on the A7RIII.  Then you are correct that the field of view at 200mm would be similar to 300mm.

-- hide signature --

Dan
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daraujo
Support dedicated photography retailers. As local as possible.

Lichtspiel
Lichtspiel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,734

mouseclubhouse wrote:

The lens itself would not crop, nor turn into a 300mm, however, you would get heavy vignetting since the lens is not made to cover the entire sensor.

Cropping the resulting image would then be equivalent to using a longer lens (same as with any FF lens though!), how much depends on the FL and the particular lens. At the wide-angle setting, it will vignette more heavily than at 200mm, and you have to crop accordingly .

Of course you can set the camera to APS-C mode, but then you might lose some of the pixel real estate since the camera doesn't know how much it actually needs to cut off and just goes by the 1.5 or 1.6 factor. Since lenses are round (most of them anyway) you can crop (in post processing) heavier on the left and right side while the top and bottom are mostly good.

Besides the need for cropping I don't think it would necessarily affect the quality. This depends more on the particular lens, and lenses made for smaller (denser pixels, say 24MP APS-C)) sensor cameras require higher resolution/better IQ to get the same result as a lens made for a lower density sensor (say 24MP FF).

Lichtspiel's gear list:Lichtspiel's gear list
Sony a7CR Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Samyang AF 35mm F1.8 FE Tamron 70-300 F4.5-6.3 Di RXD III +6 more
TheWintermute Regular Member • Posts: 187

In APS-C mode you will get image quality similar to that of an APS-C camera, i.e. about 1 stop higher noise and lower dynamic range, lower color sensitivity etc.

On a separate note, I think it is silly to put a superzoom on a higher-end camera. Your camera deserves to be used with high-quality glass.

tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 6,593

I think the 28-200 is Full Frame.  If its an 18-200/270/300, then its APSC.

Usually, APSC lenses would auto crop.  So if you have an A7Riii, an APSC lens would give you a repectable 18MP image.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a7R III Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 7,209

mouseclubhouse wrote:

This is what happens when you are using crop mode. You will get exactly the same result with a given lens/exposure and then crop at the post processing level.

Morph1909 Regular Member • Posts: 319

TheWintermute wrote:

On a separate note, I think it is silly to put a superzoom on a higher-end camera. Your camera deserves to be used with high-quality glass.

I think that's a slightly outdated view. I have no issues using the Tamron 28-200 on my A7riii. It performs very well. I agree superzooms of a few years ago may not have been so good but these days lens technology has moved on.

Morph1909's gear list:Morph1909's gear list
Sony a7R IIIA Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD Samyang AF 75mm F1.8 FE +3 more
henryk1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,260

I have several Sony-branded lenses, but a Tamron 28-200 lives on my A7Riii. It is hands down the best zoom lens I have used in 50 years of photography.

-- hide signature --

Pentax H1a, H3v, Spotmatic, MX, ME Super (2), KX, *ist DS, K10D, K20D, K-5, K-01, K-3; Sony A7Riii.

OP mouseclubhouse Junior Member • Posts: 37

I'm curious about your Tamron lens. Do you ever have focus issues? I once tried one for a short time but it was out of focus about every one out of three times. It was a used lens, maybe it was a defective lens. I'm curious.

SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 12,768

mouseclubhouse wrote:

I'm curious about your Tamron lens. Do you ever have focus issues? I once tried one for a short time but it was out of focus about every one out of three times. It was a used lens, maybe it was a defective lens. I'm curious.

Could you please clarify which lens you're actually talking about. As several people have pointed out, 28-200 APS-C lenses aren't really a thing.

-- hide signature --

A7R4a with SEL2470Z, 55Z, and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot G1 Sony Mavica FD-91 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S70 +47 more
TheWintermute Regular Member • Posts: 187

Morph1909 wrote:

TheWintermute wrote:

I think that's a slightly outdated view. I have no issues using the Tamron 28-200 on my A7riii. It performs very well. I agree superzooms of a few years ago may not have been so good but these days lens technology has moved on.

I guess you are right. I’ve just looked through the dpreview sample gallery for Tamron 28-200 2.8-5.6 and I was pleasantly surprised with image quality, especially in the wide to normal range.

OP mouseclubhouse Junior Member • Posts: 37

You're correct, it's a Sony 18-200.

araudan
araudan Contributing Member • Posts: 920

mouseclubhouse wrote:

You're correct, it's a Sony 18-200.

Then it's a 27-300 full frame field of view/equivalent at 18MP when used on an A7RIII. That assumes APS-C mode is enabled.

-- hide signature --

Dan
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daraujo
Support dedicated photography retailers. As local as possible.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads