Z7II vs. Z6II for upcoming video

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
CaptD Senior Member • Posts: 2,403
Z7II vs. Z6II for upcoming video

I need to shoot a video documentary for one of my clients in the near future. My primary work for this and other clients is still photographs in a landscape/architectural style for which I prefer using my Z7. The upcoming video will include scenics and interviews.

I'd prefer to add another Z7II to my workflow but preferences for video seem to fall on the Z6II (for Nikons) within the industry.

Are there any REAL world reasons why I should NOT shoot this documentary style video with a new Z7II vs. a Z6II? Video work that I have done with my current Z7 seems quite excellent.

I'm a still photographer, shooting a little video. 😀 Thanks, d

-- hide signature --
 CaptD's gear list:CaptD's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon Z7
Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
shuncheung Veteran Member • Posts: 4,460
Re: Z7II vs. Z6II for upcoming video

If you specialize in video, I would get the Z6ii. For occasional usage, the Z7ii is fine and better compliments your Z7 overall for still photography.

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z9 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +6 more
Andre Yew Senior Member • Posts: 1,296

Yeah, just use your Z7. I've shot many videos with my D810, D500, and D850, and they were fine. The Z6 is better, but most people would be hard pressed to see a difference.

If you're worried, do a test with your Z7 on your scenics with something that has lots of small details like faraway leaves or roof tiles that are a little bigger than a pixel, and pan across and up and down that scene. If you see something that bugs you then you might want to consider a Z6.

Interviews are probably the least demanding subject, and is entirely dependent on your lighting and sound. Remember to ask your subject not to wear something with a small pattern (eg. herringbone) or something busy. Solid colors or large patterns work well.

LTheWafflePWN Regular Member • Posts: 186

If you're primarily a photographer, I'd say get a Z7ii. Heck, I'd even say to add the option of picking up a used Z6 for $1100 and get yourself an external recorder if you're looking for bang for the buck, compared to buying a Z6ii.

The 6's are better because they shoot video over-sampled, and the 7's use I believe a method called pixel binning (or line skipping?). Others can explain the difference between them much better than I: Pixel Binning vs. Skipping vs Oversampling  In all honesty I've shot 4k on both a Z6 and Z7, and the difference in quality isn't all that much. But it is there if you look for it. I would say an interview would be a kind of video hard to notice any change of detail the difference between the two cameras would give you.

The only thing the used Z6 really lacks in video is 4k60. Again I don't think that would be a requirement for interview recordings, but I see that as the only reason to not consider getting a cheap second hand Z6 and using the money saved for an external recorder.

LTheWafflePWN's gear list:LTheWafflePWN's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II +21 more
OP CaptD Senior Member • Posts: 2,403

Thank you, Shuncheung

-- hide signature --
Nikon D3S Nikon Z7

Thanks, that's a good idea on the pixel peeping and the clothing reminder for interviews.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D3S Nikon Z7

Thanks, again some good advice worth considering. I do like the idea of an external monitor... food for thought.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D3S Nikon Z7
NickZ2016 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,011

Cheap external monitors aren't recorders but they usually give you exposure and focus aids. A recorder adds recording -) Which usually lets you save on media and it lets you overcome the 30 minute time limit. If that matters to you. But you then need to look at things like power (battery or A/C) and mounting.

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +4 more

Thanks Nick, I keep forgetting about the 30 minute limit. I wonder if that's an issue for me? I think a 30 minute clip might smoke my computer here.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D3S Nikon Z7
shuncheung Veteran Member • Posts: 4,460

CaptD wrote:

Thanks Nick, I keep forgetting about the 30 minute limit. I wonder if that's an issue for me? I think a 30 minute clip might smoke my computer here.

Get the Z9 and you don’t need to worry about the 30-minute video limit any more. 😀

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z9 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +6 more

shuncheung wrote:

CaptD wrote:

Get the Z9 and you don’t need to worry about the 30-minute video limit any more. 😀

Ha, not going down that road... I want smaller not bigger.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D3S Nikon Z7
NickZ2016 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,011

Don't discount media costs. CFe cards are cheaper than they used to be but they still cost a lot more than what recorders use.

Ninja's use SSD which are going out of style because computers have mostly switched to NVME drives.

Blackmagic's two recorders write out to USB C.  Plenty of options.

If the bulk of a recorder isn't an issue what you save on cards might  pay for the recorder. Plus there can be other benefits. The Blackmagic for example has XLR mic inputs at least on some models.

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +4 more
Cryhavoc38 Contributing Member • Posts: 662

LTheWafflePWN wrote:

If you're primarily a photographer, I'd say get a Z7ii. Heck, I'd even say to add the option of picking up a used Z6 for $1100 and get yourself an external recorder if you're looking for bang for the buck, compared to buying a Z6ii.

The 6's are better because they shoot video over-sampled, and the 7's use I believe a method called pixel binning (or line skipping?). Others can explain the difference between them much better than I: Pixel Binning vs. Skipping vs Oversampling In all honesty I've shot 4k on both a Z6 and Z7, and the difference in quality isn't all that much. But it is there if you look for it. I would say an interview would be a kind of video hard to notice any change of detail the difference between the two cameras would give you.

The only thing the used Z6 really lacks in video is 4k60. Again I don't think that would be a requirement for interview recordings, but I see that as the only reason to not consider getting a cheap second hand Z6 and using the money saved for an external recorder.

Exactly what I did.

Bought a used z6 and a used atomos ninja v and the combination works soo well.

I bought a used atomos accessory kit and it came with 5 drive shells. I bought a couple Western Digital 1tb Blue drives for $99 each and they work wonderfully well.

Cryhavoc38 wrote:

LTheWafflePWN wrote:

The 6's are better because they shoot video over-sampled, and the 7's use I believe a method called pixel binning (or line skipping?). Others can explain the difference between them much better than I: Pixel Binning vs. Skipping vs Oversampling In all honesty I've shot 4k on both a Z6 and Z7, and the difference in quality isn't all that much. But it is there if you look for it. I would say an interview would be a kind of video hard to notice any change of detail the difference between the two cameras would give you.

Exactly what I did.

Bought a used z6 and a used atomos ninja v and the combination works soo well.

I bought a used atomos accessory kit and it came with 5 drive shells. I bought a couple Western Digital 1tb Blue drives for $99 each and they work wonderfully well.

Thanks! I'm still debating.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D3S Nikon Z7

NickZ2016 wrote:

Don't discount media costs. CFe cards are cheaper than they used to be but they still cost a lot more than what recorders use.

Ninja's use SSD which are going out of style because computers have mostly switched to NVME drives.

Blackmagic's two recorders write out to USB C. Plenty of options.

If the bulk of a recorder isn't an issue what you save on cards might pay for the recorder. Plus there can be other benefits. The Blackmagic for example has XLR mic inputs at least on some models.

Thanks I'll look into the Black Magic monitors. Hadn't really considered them.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D3S Nikon Z7
AZ Indie Shooter Regular Member • Posts: 156

Best bang for the buck right now would be an open-box/LN Z6 with a Ninja V. Shoot in 10-bit Nlog, 4:2:2 4Kp30 and edit in 1080p 30. Up-scale on export back to 4K UHD and you're looking good.

It's all about story, so don't neglect audio.

AZ Indie Shooter's gear list:AZ Indie Shooter's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z30
Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 17,748

shuncheung wrote:

If you specialize in video, I would get the Z6ii. For occasional usage, the Z7ii is fine and better compliments your Z7 overall for still photography.

I agree with Shun. But according to the video editor I use, the 4K Z 7ii video files are excellent. Whether I use an external recorder or not, she prefers I use the Flat profile if there is any post-shoot color grading work a client requires.
External Recorders and microphones:

As a video/basic audio external recorder I use the Atoms Ninja V and for higher quality multi-channel Audio the Zoom F6 (https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/field-recorders/field-recorders/f6/). The 32-bit float feature of the F6 is like shooting raw files but better and a mostly Røde mics (a shotgun and Go lava) and a Azden SMX-30 stereo/mono mic (https://www.azden.com/smx-30-stereo-mono-switchable-video-microphone/.)

Camera Support:

After years of using a Benro S8 fluid head, I know use Manfrotto Nitrotech 608 fluid head (https://www.manfrotto.com/us-en/nitrotech-608-fluid-video-head-with-continuous-cbs-mvh608ahus/)

And recently I purchased a Rhine Arc II head with a carbon fiber 24-inch slider, along wit the optional heavy duty motor for the slider and the optional focus modulehttps://rhinocameragear.com/pages/rhino-arc-ii
I am very impressed with the overall quality and versatility of the Rhino Arc II.

Movements with the Arc II are amazingly smooth and the head can used with just a tripod or other support like a jib.
Speaking of camera jibs.

I also sometimes use a Kessler Pocket Jib Traveler https://kesslercrane.com/collections/pocket-jib-traveler
I thought I'd be using a jib more than I actually do, but the PJT is quick to set up, use, and backup.

Software:
While I have Final Cut Pro X , the freelance video editor I work with uses Adobe Premier. I have friends who like the basic (fee) version of DaVinci software but I've never used it.
The reason I hire a video editor is that she does a better job than I do and she does it about a hundred times faster.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
A working photographer since 1984.
To see my work, please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on Instagram @EllisVenerStudio

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Zeiss Batis 40mm F2 CF +4 more

Ellis Vener wrote:

shuncheung wrote:

I agree with Shun. But according to the video editor I use, the 4K Z 7ii video files are excellent. Whether I use an external recorder or not, she prefers I use the Flat profile if there is any post-shoot color grading work a client requires.
External Recorders and microphones:

As a video/basic audio external recorder I use the Atoms Ninja V and for higher quality multi-channel Audio the Zoom F6 (https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/field-recorders/field-recorders/f6/). The 32-bit float feature of the F6 is like shooting raw files but better and a mostly Røde mics (a shotgun and Go lava) and a Azden SMX-30 stereo/mono mic (https://www.azden.com/smx-30-stereo-mono-switchable-video-microphone/.)

Camera Support:

After years of using a Benro S8 fluid head, I know use Manfrotto Nitrotech 608 fluid head (https://www.manfrotto.com/us-en/nitrotech-608-fluid-video-head-with-continuous-cbs-mvh608ahus/)

And recently I purchased a Rhine Arc II head with a carbon fiber 24-inch slider, along wit the optional heavy duty motor for the slider and the optional focus modulehttps://rhinocameragear.com/pages/rhino-arc-ii
I am very impressed with the overall quality and versatility of the Rhino Arc II.

Movements with the Arc II are amazingly smooth and the head can used with just a tripod or other support like a jib.
Speaking of camera jibs.

I also sometimes use a Kessler Pocket Jib Traveler https://kesslercrane.com/collections/pocket-jib-traveler
I thought I'd be using a jib more than I actually do, but the PJT is quick to set up, use, and backup.

Software:
While I have Final Cut Pro X , the freelance video editor I work with uses Adobe Premier. I have friends who like the basic (fee) version of DaVinci software but I've never used it.
The reason I hire a video editor is that she does a better job than I do and she does it about a hundred times faster.

Ellis, thank you so much. This is ALL great info. I just added a (refurbished) Z7II to the kit (hopefully the refurbished part wasn't a mistake) and a Matthews 6X6 silk kit to the lighting inventory as most of the interviews will be out on construction locations, both in progress and completed sites. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/184349-REG/Matthews_309108_Light_Duty_Butterfly_Kit.html

I'm using my Zoom H5 for sound recording and picked up the Rode Wireless Go II system to work with my Sennheiser MKE lavalier. I'm going to rent a Sennheiser MKE 416 shotgun to try out and see how I like it. I'm finding I literally need a check list before rolling camera with all this stuff. I continuously forget to push record on the Zoom as monitoring sound always sounds so great. I'm also feeding a line from the H5 back into the camera.

How did you find your video editor? That's the next integral component for me.

Cheers! and thanks again.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D3S Nikon Z7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads