EOS 90D and Tamron 150-600mm problems

Started 10 months ago | Questions
bird_Hunter New Member • Posts: 5
EOS 90D and Tamron 150-600mm problems
1

Last December I upgraded from my EOS 7D to an EOS 90D,  The only lens I've been using on this camera is the Tamron 150-600 mm, with no problems until last week when I began receiving the ERROR 01 message telling me that communication between the camera and lens is faulty.  I followed the instructions to clean the lens contacts with a soft cloth and I also removed and reinstalled the battery.  I thought these actions  would solve the problem, but it has becoming much more frequent and I now hesitate to use the lens.  I could understand gently cleaning the lens contacts if I had been switching lenses but this lens has been on the camera since day 1.  Today I tried other lenses (Canon)  on the camera and they work just fine so far, so I'm guessing that the problem is with the lens rather than with the camera.  This is the original version of the Tamron 150-600mm, which I bought in 2015.  Has anyone else been having this problem with the 90D and the Tamron 150-600 lens?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
curlyone
curlyone Contributing Member • Posts: 827
Re: EOS 90D and Tamron 150-600mm problems
1

Hi,   Some lenses can be updated by firmware, you might have to ask around, if that is possible and how to do it, did you clean the camera contacts as well?

stevejenn Veteran Member • Posts: 4,334
Re: EOS 90D and Tamron 150-600mm problems

The only way to upgrade the firmware on the G1 is to send the lens into Tamron.  The G2 upgrades via the optional Tap-in console.

Steve J

 stevejenn's gear list:stevejenn's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +7 more
Digirame Forum Pro • Posts: 41,638
Re: EOS 90D and Tamron 150-600mm problems

Does the problem persist when you reconnect the Tamron 150-600mm lens to the Canon 7D?

I also have that lens. What you wrote is similar to what I experienced. I considered cleaning the contacts etc., but it was useless.  That problem started about 5-1/2 years ago when I was using it with the Canon T2i (550D) camera. I had it repaired under warranty. I haven't any problems with it since. I'm now using that lens with the Canon T7i (800D) camera. So far, I've had no more problems with that lens.  If it fails, I'll probably get the G2 lens.  I use it too much to not have that lens or something similar.

OP bird_Hunter New Member • Posts: 5
Re: EOS 90D and Tamron 150-600mm problems

curlyone wrote:

Hi, Some lenses can be updated by firmware, you might have to ask around, if that is possible and how to do it, did you clean the camera contacts as well?

Yes, I did clean both lens and camera contacts but the error message continued to appear.  I waited a day then again cleaned both camera and lens contacts with the microfiber cloth.  So far no error message.  Hopefully whatever the problem was is now fixed.

OP bird_Hunter New Member • Posts: 5
Re: EOS 90D and Tamron 150-600mm problems

stevejenn wrote:

The only way to upgrade the firmware on the G1 is to send the lens into Tamron. The G2 upgrades via the optional Tap-in console.

Steve J

I cleaned contacts twice on both lens and camera and so far the error message has not appeared and everything seems to be working properly.  If the error message returns I will contact Tamron.

OP bird_Hunter New Member • Posts: 5
Re: EOS 90D and Tamron 150-600mm problems

Digirame wrote:

Does the problem persist when you reconnect the Tamron 150-600mm lens to the Canon 7D?

I also have that lens. What you wrote is similar to what I experienced. I considered cleaning the contacts etc., but it was useless. That problem started about 5-1/2 years ago when I was using it with the Canon T2i (550D) camera. I had it repaired under warranty. I haven't any problems with it since. I'm now using that lens with the Canon T7i (800D) camera. So far, I've had no more problems with that lens. If it fails, I'll probably get the G2 lens. I use it too much to not have that lens or something similar.

I've never had any problem when using this lens on the 7D, and I've been using that combo since 2015 with no error messages.   I bought the 90D in December 2021 and immediately attached the 150-600 lens, since that is the lens that I use most often for my bird and wildlife photography.  Everything was working fine until about two weeks ago, when that error 01 message began to appear.  I cleaned the contacts  twice on both the lens and camera with a soft microfiber cloth.  After the first cleaning the error message continued to appear.  After the second cleaning the message has not reappeared and everything is working as it should.  So far, anyway.  If the problem returns I will contact Tamron, or possibly  buy the G2 lens.  Like you, I rely heavily on that lens.

Digirame Forum Pro • Posts: 41,638
Re: EOS 90D and Tamron 150-600mm problems

That's good you have solved the problem, at least temporarily.  My lens failed after only a few months of use.  But for more than 5 years after the repair, it's still good.  So far, I haven't dropped it or anything like that to damage it.  I carry it almost everywhere in my side bag to wildlife areas, wetland preserves, sandy beaches and mountain hikes etc.

OP bird_Hunter New Member • Posts: 5
Re: EOS 90D and Tamron 150-600mm problems

Digirame wrote:

That's good you have solved the problem, at least temporarily. My lens failed after only a few months of use. But for more than 5 years after the repair, it's still good. So far, I haven't dropped it or anything like that to damage it. I carry it almost everywhere in my side bag to wildlife areas, wetland preserves, sandy beaches and mountain hikes etc.

Unfortunately the issue persists, now with both the 90D and the 7D.  I contacted the nearest camera shop (about an hour away) and the repair manager said that the most common causes of the Error 01 message are a failed aperture unit or a failed image stabilizer.  He will send the lens to Tamron for repairs.  Here's a heads up:  he also said that he wants to get the lens to Tamron as soon as possible because this model (G1) is rapidly approaching the end of its service life, after which it will be impossible to have it serviced anymore.  I guess it is time to start thinking about purchasing the G2.

Digirame Forum Pro • Posts: 41,638
Re: EOS 90D and Tamron 150-600mm problems

Yes, that is what I'm thinking also.  I'll use the Tamron 150-600mm lens until it fails and then move on to another telephoto lens, possibly the G2 lens.  I don't know how many tens of thousands of pictures I've taken with it, but it's been a bunch.

I hope it works out for you by being repaired so you can give it a second life.

mysteryman44 Regular Member • Posts: 461
Re: EOS 90D and Tamron 150-600mm problems

Hello,  I had the same or similar problem with this tampon 150 500mm lens. I had not owned it that long, did nothing to the lens, but they would not honor the warranty and let me send the lens back for repair.  I eventually had to take it to a camera store to get fixed. That will be the last tampon lens I will buy.   I Should have bought the sigma with similar focal length.

Digirame Forum Pro • Posts: 41,638
Re: EOS 90D and Tamron 150-600mm problems

I'm sorry to hear that about your experience with Tamron. When I bought my lens from a camera store, I had them send it back for warranty repairs (see what I wrote above). I did have to pay the camera store some fee for mailing and processing. It was something near $35 (USD). I guess I was lucky that I got it serviced without spending a lot of extra money. The lens is still going strong since that repair.

Is your lens still working well?

mysteryman44 Regular Member • Posts: 461
Re: EOS 90D and Tamron 150-600mm problems

Yes, that's good to know, maybe I should have bought it at a local camera store. So far mine has been working too. Had it quite a few years, Thank you for replying.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads