What ever happened to some of the Utube photo guys?

Started Mar 5, 2022 | Discussions
lost alaskan
lost alaskan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,146
What ever happened to some of the Utube photo guys?

I know some of you have no time for Utube but I've watched thousands of vids.  A few people have come and gone.  There was a guy named Matt I think from New Zealand or somewhere.  There was the accident prone woman who had a girlfriend.  The guy who got accused of messing with his young models.  One guy made a point of never cropping a picture.  There was the over sharpening guy who I think is still around.

lost alaskan's gear list:lost alaskan's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
geru Senior Member • Posts: 1,443
Re: What ever happened to some of the Utube photo guys?

lost alaskan wrote:

I know some of you have no time for Utube but I've watched thousands of vids. A few people have come and gone. There was a guy named Matt I think from New Zealand or somewhere.

Matt Granger now based in NYC, he's still on YouTube.

There was the accident prone woman who had a girlfrien

Jessica Kolbessa ? Not sure of spelling she's still on YouTube.

The guy who got accused of messing with his young models.

Jason Lanier still on YouTube.

One guy made a point of never cropping a picture. There was the over sharpening guy who I think is still around.

No clue...

geru's gear list:geru's gear list
Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +5 more
AstigmaticOwl Contributing Member • Posts: 780

geru wrote:

lost alaskan wrote:

I know some of you have no time for Utube but I've watched thousands of vids. A few people have come and gone. There was a guy named Matt I think from New Zealand or somewhere.

Matt Irwin is from Melbourne, Australia. He's been active on YouTube.

Matt Granger now based in NYC, he's still on YouTube.

Matt Granger moved to Hong Kong. Extensively documented on YouTube. Granger is originally from Australia and recently posted about a trip back home.

There was the accident prone woman who had a girlfrien

Jessica Kolbessa ? Not sure of spelling she's still on YouTube.

The guy who got accused of messing with his young models.

Jason Lanier still on YouTube.

One guy made a point of never cropping a picture. There was the over sharpening guy who I think is still around.

No clue...

AstigmaticOwl's gear list:AstigmaticOwl's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8800 Nikon Z9 Nikon Z8
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 16,568

How awful to be known to the world in general as "the over sharpening guy".

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +20 more
BAK Forum Pro • Posts: 26,191

No-cropper is The Fro, real name Jared Polin, from Philadelphia. Known for promoting that he shoots RAW.

He accepts assignments from magazines and newspapers, and has created a good book about Bernie Sanders.

As mentioned already, Matt Granger is from Melbourne, moved to New York for a while, and relatively recently moved to Hong Kong.

A relative newcomer to YouTube is Kym Illiams, from Perth Australia, who shoots Formula 1 racing. Last season he shot every race, and he expects to do the same this year.

Some other Youtube photographers I follow work partly for themselves and Adorama TV, and it gets mixed up.

Daniel Norton is a commercial, fashion and portrait photographer with a studio high up in a building in New York City.

Daniel shares his studio with Seth Miranda, who is on the commercial side of portraiture.

Also on Adorama TV and her own You Tube site is wedding and social / family photographer Vanessa Joy. She's a Canon acknowledged photographer.

And Weekly Imogen is a somewhat distinctive British YouTube site, where a photographer in his 40's photographs (mostly) women between 17 -25 in somewhat skimpy outfits, with the models talking about what the sessions are like.

Finally, back to Australia. Peter Coulson is a fashion, commercial and portrait photographer in Melbourne.

So, If we go back to the original post, we can see there are lots of photographers left on YouTube.

(Peter Hurley, Joe McNally, Mark Wallace...)

BAK

J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 21,558

They never existed.

Aberaeron Forum Pro • Posts: 10,185

lost alaskan wrote:

There was the over sharpening guy who I think is still around.

Would the over-sharpening guy be Ken Rockwell by any chance?

lost alaskan
OP lost alaskan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,146

That's the guy. I couldn't come up with a name. Ken and  Fro.

I have forgotten about a lot of them over the years and they never pop up on my suggested feed. I guess my tastes have changed.

lost alaskan's gear list:lost alaskan's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
stevenj2
stevenj2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,481

Matt (The Art of The Image) Ballard, a Canadian YouTuber, was a sadly a suicide in 2018.

Was noted in a thread posted on DPR Dec. 12 2018. His videos remained online for some months.

lost alaskan wrote:

I know some of you have no time for Utube but I've watched thousands of vids. A few people have come and gone. There was a guy named Matt I think from New Zealand or somewhere. There was the accident prone woman who had a girlfriend. The guy who got accused of messing with his young models. One guy made a point of never cropping a picture. There was the over sharpening guy who I think is still around.

stevenj2's gear list:stevenj2's gear list
Ricoh GR II Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Sony a6300 +1 more
Sony Influencer Regular Member • Posts: 273

There was a time when other big YouTubers mentioned Jason Lanier or hanged out with him but this totally stopped after the accusations. Big photography sites also no longer wrote articles about his videos or posted them. In the last two years he only had one video with more than 100.000 clicks. He was way more successful with that years ago when he didn't stop mentioning that he is the photographer with the biggest YouTube channel.

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 12,354

yardcoyote wrote:

How awful to be known to the world in general as "the over sharpening guy".

It's a cross Ken Rockwell has borne for years, alongside his 'Saturate the cr@p out of it' title.

Benfm Junior Member • Posts: 46

BAK wrote:

No-cropper is The Fro, real name Jared Polin, from Philadelphia. Known for promoting that he shoots RAW.

He accepts assignments from magazines and newspapers, and has created a good book about Bernie Sanders.

As mentioned already, Matt Granger is from Melbourne, moved to New York for a while, and relatively recently moved to Hong Kong.

A relative newcomer to YouTube is Kym Illiams, from Perth Australia, who shoots Formula 1 racing. Last season he shot every race, and he expects to do the same this year.

Some other Youtube photographers I follow work partly for themselves and Adorama TV, and it gets mixed up.

Daniel Norton is a commercial, fashion and portrait photographer with a studio high up in a building in New York City.

Daniel shares his studio with Seth Miranda, who is on the commercial side of portraiture.

Also on Adorama TV and her own You Tube site is wedding and social / family photographer Vanessa Joy. She's a Canon acknowledged photographer.

And Weekly Imogen is a somewhat distinctive British YouTube site, where a photographer in his 40's photographs (mostly) women between 17 -25 in somewhat skimpy outfits, with the models talking about what the sessions are like.

I'll check this out for sure! 

Finally, back to Australia. Peter Coulson is a fashion, commercial and portrait photographer in Melbourne.

And don't forget Ken Rockwell.

AstroVagabond
AstroVagabond Senior Member • Posts: 1,397

Thank you for your post as it is a reminder of the great talent and entertainers available on YouTube in the photography genre.

Much appreciated.  👍

AstroVagabond's gear list:AstroVagabond's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads