Tunderbold 2 to USB 3 adapter

Started 6 months ago | Questions
verheyph
verheyph Contributing Member • Posts: 718
Tunderbold 2 to USB 3 adapter

Hello,

I'm looking for an adapter from a Tunderbold 2 port (on a Macbook mid 2015) to an USB-3,1 cable. This seems not to be very common.  Does anybody know a solution ?

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Cheers - Philippe

verheyph's gear list:verheyph's gear list
Leica D-Lux 7 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 20,156
Re: Tunderbold 2 to USB 3 adapter

verheyph wrote:

Hello,

I'm looking for an adapter from a Tunderbold 2 port (on a Macbook mid 2015) to an USB-3,1 cable. This seems not to be very common. Does anybody know a solution ?

Thanks

The MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) has two USB-A (USB 3.0) ports.  Have you tried connecting a USB hub to one of them?

tsinsf Contributing Member • Posts: 870

You are correct, they are not common. The only one I have been able to find is the one Apple makes. Thunderbolt 2 was not around long enough to produce lots of supporting products.

tsinsf's gear list:tsinsf's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
uniball Senior Member • Posts: 2,865

I believe the adapter Apple makes is the only game in town other than a bunch of unknown brands sold on Amazon and eBay. Do physically test the Apple product if you get it. Wiggle it around and make sure it maintains the connection. Keep sending them back until you get one that works.

polizonte
polizonte Senior Member • Posts: 1,099

That would be nice, I miss using my Thunderbolt CF card reader that never skipped a beat....I want to connect CF cards it to my entry level M1 iMac...I would dispense with the old Thunderbolt SanDisk reader if I can find a compatible CF reader hub.

-- hide signature --

Es mejor pescar que ser pescado.

polizonte's gear list:polizonte's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR +3 more
verheyph
OP verheyph Contributing Member • Posts: 718

uniball wrote:

I believe the adapter Apple makes is the only game in town other than a bunch of unknown brands sold on Amazon and eBay. Do physically test the Apple product if you get it. Wiggle it around and make sure it maintains the connection. Keep sending them back until you get one that works.

For sure ! The problem is to find one. Could  anybody provide a link to the reference on an Apple website ? Thanks

-- hide signature --

Cheers - Philippe

verheyph's gear list:verheyph's gear list
Leica D-Lux 7 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +2 more
uniball Senior Member • Posts: 2,865

verheyph wrote:

uniball wrote:

For sure ! The problem is to find one. Could anybody provide a link to the reference on an Apple website ? Thanks

B&H has them, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=apple%20thunderbolt%202%20to%20usb%20c&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&msclkid=977b2a4da38e15db2ee94bbf79fa3f1b

No idea where to look in the EU. When I lived there (Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Ireland) I could find near anything I needed in CH at prices competitive with the once strong dollar.

As far as I know, Apple never made a Thunderbolt to USB 3 adapter.   They did make a couple of adapters that plugged into Thunderbolt 1/2 ports and that provided either a Gigabit Ethernet port or a Firewire 800 port.

There were third-party Thunderbolt 1/2 docks that added USB 3 ports.  There was also the 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display that added USB 2 ports.  This was possible because Thunderbolt is, in essence, an external form of PCIe.

Apple makes a TB3 to TB2 adapter.  It has a USB-C plug and a TB2 socket.  Ignoring the question of whether you can find USB-C gender changers, I do not believe this adapter offers a full range of host protocols (USB, Power Delivery, DisplayPort, Thunderbolt) on its USB-C connector.

Now suppose that you set up a system

(TB1/2-equipped Mac) -> (TB3-to-TB2 adapter) -> (TB3/4 dock with USB 3 ports)

If the TB3/4 dock was relying on getting its USB connectivity as part of the usual USB-C package, I suspect that its USB 3 ports would not work.  If, on the other hand, the dock implemented the ports using the virtual equivalent of a USB 3 PCIe card (driven off the Thunderbolt signal), then I think that this configuration would offer a way to add USB 3 ports to a TB1/2-equipped Mac.

polizonte
polizonte Senior Member • Posts: 1,099

My iMac has 2 ports - at the local Apple Store,  one of the staff recommend  a hub made by Digitech.  Simplest solution, less clutter: I can get by using SD cards with my Apple SD card reader.

-- hide signature --

Es mejor pescar que ser pescado.

polizonte's gear list:polizonte's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR +3 more
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 15,001
Why???

verheyph wrote:

uniball wrote:

For sure ! The problem is to find one. Could anybody provide a link to the reference on an Apple website ? Thanks

Why do you need to connect USB to a TB2 port on your Mac when you already have USB ports on your Mac? There are plenty of USB-C to USB-A adapters and cables available.

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony a7R III +53 more
Re: Why???

Jacques Cornell wrote:

verheyph wrote:

uniball wrote:

Why do you need to connect USB to a TB2 port on your Mac when you already have USB ports on your Mac? There are plenty of USB-C to USB-A adapters and cables available.

Maybe he's looking for USB 3.1 Gen 2 speed ("up to 10 Gbps")?

His Mac has two perfectly good USB-A (USB 3.0) ports, and if he's out of those, a cheap USB hub (powered or unpowered) would let him connect more stuff.  As you say, there are plenty of USB-C to USB-A adapters and cables (in either direction), so as long as he doesn't have a USB-C peripheral that needs USB Power Delivery, he shouldn't have any problems connecting a USB-C (USB protocol) accessory to one of his USB-A ports.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads