PureRaw recommendation

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
maikl80 Junior Member • Posts: 33
PureRaw recommendation

I still use my Samsung NX500 with three pancake lenses (10mm, 20mm, 30mm) as a secondary camery and recently purchased DXO PureRaw. Usually I use LR for my post processing but I have to say that I am really impressed by the quality of the pictures that come out of PureRaw. For those that have not heard about it: It is some kind of RAW-To-RAW converter. So it loads in your RAW files, processes them (automatic lens correction and noise reduction) and the output file is a DNG RAW file which you can process as usual (DXO also offers a complete RAW processor which supports the same features and of course a lot more).

I just wanted to share my experience because the output looks like from an update camera and higher quality lens. The noise is strongly reduced so that I could finally use some of my pictures were I accidently used too high ISO values. Also at least for the pancake lenses - which aren't bad by themselfes - the IQ is really enhanced in a lot of cases. So for me this allows me to use the camera in situations where I would otherwise have to use a newer/better camera. So it almost feels like you have an NX600 with a mark II version of the lenses.
The drawbacks of the software are that you can't tweak a lot of parameters (e.g. you can change between different de-noise methods but you can not even adjust the amount of noise reduction). Also sometimes with Samsung files it only produces completely black results on my computer but it works again after a restart.

I think you can download and test a time limited test version if you want to try it by yourself. Do you also use it and what is your experience with it?

Samsung NX500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
wpstl Senior Member • Posts: 1,176
Re: PureRaw recommendation

I don't use PureRaw but I do use the full version of DXO PhotoLab. I ditched Lightroom some time ago because I prefer the results from Photolab for my Samsung files-other cameras too for that matter. The only downside is is PL doesn't support Raw files from the Galaxy NX. I have to either use a different processor or convert them to DNGs.

-- hide signature --

"Sometimes I like to throw a grenade and run away."

wpstl's gear list:wpstl's gear list
Samsung NX1 Sony a7R II Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads