Successfully made my M6 II uses electronic shutter in 7 fps continuous mode

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Iyou1 Forum Member • Posts: 83
Successfully made my M6 II uses electronic shutter in 7 fps continuous mode

My experiment proves my theory: the option is always there. Canon hides it from users.

Again, they should give this option because having the option is always but than not having it (I know the sensor is slow).

This also means that all Digic 8 models like M50, M6 II, R/RP can use e-shutter in Tv/Av/M/P single and continuous mode. The trick should be exactly the same across all models. However, the 14 fps mode or bulb mode won't work.

This trick comes with many limitations so it's more a "show it's possible" thing than actually useful tool. e.g. must use a sd/sdhc fat16/32 card, must turn off the camera to switch off etc. And it probably voids your warranty (for modifying the firmware). With more serious hacking these limitations could be bypassed but it's beyond my ability right now.

Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Canon EOS M6 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tamaraw35 Contributing Member • Posts: 784
Re: Successfully made my M6 II uses electronic shutter in 7 fps continuous mode

What sort of firmware modification are you talking about?
Obviously electronic shutter has been technically possible since they first introduced it as a scene mode, it's just that nobody has publicly released modified firmware to expand this.

Given the type of video output that the original M is capable of using magic lantern firmware, I would not be surprised in the slightest if later models with the newer sensors and processors were also capable of more features beside just unlocking electronic shutter.

R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,833

We know that an eShutter burst mode is technically possible because it’s used in Focus Bracketing Mode, which is very fast. And a reduced size image is recorded in RAW Burst Mode, which is also very fast. I don’t think the problem is sensor readout speed or the buffer or write speed either. The M6ii should give us close to a 30 frame eShutter burst (full size RAW files). And many more jpegs are of course possible.

What would be really nice is a way to select the frames per second, so that it’s not all or nothing. 20 fps works well with my beefier R5, but with the M6ii you’re only talking about a 1 1/2 second burst at 20 fps. For some things that’s fine, but for many subjects I’d love something like a 7 fps option (which my preferred rate using mShutter).

I suspect (and you have likely proven, if your hack is workable) that it’s all technically possible, but it’s Canon that is holding back these more advanced features. Maybe we’ll see something in a future release?

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6
OP Iyou1 Forum Member • Posts: 83

Canon basic scripting. I learned it from CHDK and ML community.

The recent canon models (d6+) are much more difficult to work with due to many changes.

Also, people should never publicly share modified firmware because it contains Canon's IP. ML is an independent add-on, not firmware.

OP Iyou1 Forum Member • Posts: 83

The 30fps mode is cropped to allow a faster readout time. Even 14 fps is not possible for full sensor readout in my tests. 7 fps works without any issue.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads