Thoughts on the M11

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Swordman Contributing Member • Posts: 925
Thoughts on the M11

What do you guys think of the upcoming M11?

So far, we know that it doesn’t have a removable bottom plate and it doesn’t use any brass. I feel those things are fundamental to the M experience.

One thing I would’ve like to have seen is a return to using sapphire crystal for the LCD screen, but I don’t think that’s ever coming back.

Bags27 Senior Member • Posts: 1,720
Re: Thoughts on the M11
2

Massive, massive discussion of this over on the Leica Users Forum. There are a number of different themes. One is the physical camera, including the end of the bottom plate. Another is the sensor, which apparently is going to have three separate pixel counts modes. Another is a possible change in color and image quality. At least one person who has handled it (and now actually owns it, but is embargoed from giving details) implies that it might (he's intentionally vague) be more a reference to the IQ of the M9.

I personally shoot only film these days (except for my Foveon Merrills), but if the M11 produced images similar to the Leica S (closest thing to the M9, IMO), I would be a buyer.

David Kieltyka
David Kieltyka Veteran Member • Posts: 6,171
Re: Thoughts on the M11
1

Bags27 wrote:

Massive, massive discussion of this over on the Leica Users Forum. There are a number of different themes. One is the physical camera, including the end of the bottom plate. Another is the sensor, which apparently is going to have three separate pixel counts modes. Another is a possible change in color and image quality. At least one person who has handled it (and now actually owns it, but is embargoed from giving details) implies that it might (he's intentionally vague) be more a reference to the IQ of the M9.

If the camera does have a 60mp sensor, one output mode I'd like to see is 15mp with RGBG photosite input into each output pixel. Or Leica could go in the other direction by putting the sensor on a stabilizer and offering a 4-shot 60mp "true color" mode plus an 8-shot mega-res option. 

-Dave-

 David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M9-P Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Pentax 645Z Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +9 more
Bags27 Senior Member • Posts: 1,720
Re: Thoughts on the M11

David Kieltyka wrote:

Bags27 wrote:

Massive, massive discussion of this over on the Leica Users Forum. There are a number of different themes. One is the physical camera, including the end of the bottom plate. Another is the sensor, which apparently is going to have three separate pixel counts modes. Another is a possible change in color and image quality. At least one person who has handled it (and now actually owns it, but is embargoed from giving details) implies that it might (he's intentionally vague) be more a reference to the IQ of the M9.

If the camera does have a 60mp sensor, one output mode I'd like to see is 15mp with RGBG photosite input into each output pixel. Or Leica could go in the other direction by putting the sensor on a stabilizer and offering a 4-shot 60mp "true color" mode plus an 8-shot mega-res option.

-Dave-

Life both of these, especially the first!

Wow, now I'm interested! 

eliehbk Senior Member • Posts: 2,493
Re: Thoughts on the M11

I wonder if it will be more affordable than the M10R!

 eliehbk's gear list:eliehbk's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica M10-R Leica SL2-S Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH +2 more
Bags27 Senior Member • Posts: 1,720
Re: Thoughts on the M11
1

eliehbk wrote:

I wonder if it will be more affordable than the M10R!

Ha, ha, ha! Please stop, my ribs are breaking with laughter.

Early indications are 8000 euros. Feel free to translate into your local currency with Leica, of course, claiming that it needs to raise prices to local currency because of the "strength of the euro" or the weakness of your currency (which really isn't weak compared to the euro except in the Republic of Leica).

eliehbk Senior Member • Posts: 2,493
Re: Thoughts on the M11

Well the Leica M10r is 9k usd here in NY. So if the M11is at 8000 euros that's very comparable!

 eliehbk's gear list:eliehbk's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica M10-R Leica SL2-S Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH +2 more
Bags27 Senior Member • Posts: 1,720
Re: Thoughts on the M11

eliehbk wrote:

Well the Leica M10r is 9k usd here in NY. So if the M11is at 8000 euros that's very comparable!

Wow. That's sort of nutsy. I see them at B&H new for that price. But you're right of course: I imagine Leica will do everything possible to keep the 11 under USD 10K.

eliehbk Senior Member • Posts: 2,493
Re: Thoughts on the M11
2

Except in Europe that means it's tax included and we still have to pay 9% on top of it. So you end up paying around 1k more here. Best is to get it from Europe if you're ever there, and get the tax exemption. You will end up paying 8,000 usd for it in total.

 eliehbk's gear list:eliehbk's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica M10-R Leica SL2-S Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH +2 more
Foto1975 Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: Thoughts on the M11
4

Picking mine up on Thursday. I cannot wait. Also collecting the summilux 50/1.4 asph limited edition with it. 
I think with USB C (for charging on the go), the better battery and new sensor, inbuilt memory, not to mention the different MP options it’s going to be just a joy to shoot with.

Perhaps it is blasphemy but I actually prefer the Q2-style base. Easier access to SD slot and battery…

eliehbk Senior Member • Posts: 2,493
Re: Thoughts on the M11

I also prefer the Q2 base over the useless one from the M10 and prior. I don't really get the nostalgic approach if it's going to interfere with functionality. But then again, that's why it's still a range finder!

 eliehbk's gear list:eliehbk's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica M10-R Leica SL2-S Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH +2 more
The Torontonian Contributing Member • Posts: 666
Re: Thoughts on the M11
5

I think it's going to be absolutely smashing! I predict it will be capable of generating some of the finest images ever, from any Leica camera.

I also predict that there will be a bunch of traditionalists that will gripe.

And finally, I predict that I won't be owning one any time soon. 

Mike2019 Contributing Member • Posts: 888
Re: Thoughts on the M11
1

How can you have thoughts on something that is not known yet?

OP Swordman Contributing Member • Posts: 925
Re: Thoughts on the M11
1

Mike2019 wrote:

How can you have thoughts on something that is not known yet?

Well, if my predictions come to fruition, you heard it here first!

OP Swordman Contributing Member • Posts: 925
Re: Thoughts on the M11

The Torontonian wrote:

I think it's going to be absolutely smashing! I predict it will be capable of generating some of the finest images ever, from any Leica camera.

I also predict that there will be a bunch of traditionalists that will gripe.

And finally, I predict that I won't be owning one any time soon.

I think as a camera, it will, for sure, be more advanced, but I like that bottom plate!

Foto1975 Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: Thoughts on the M11
3

Mike2019 wrote:

How can you have thoughts on something that is not known yet?

I spent some time with it (under an embargo).

Mike2019 Contributing Member • Posts: 888
Re: Thoughts on the M11

Foto1975 wrote:

Mike2019 wrote:

How can you have thoughts on something that is not known yet?

I spent some time with it (under an embargo).

Well, you have violated the embargo by sharing your thoughts that contain technical details.

Foto1975 Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: Thoughts on the M11
2

Mike2019 wrote:

Foto1975 wrote:

Mike2019 wrote:

How can you have thoughts on something that is not known yet?

I spent some time with it (under an embargo).

Well, you have violated the embargo by sharing your thoughts that contain technical details.

No man. I Just tried to contribute and answered your question 🤦🏻‍♂️ 
Although Mods do feel free to remove anything I’ve posted if you feel it’s inappropriate. 
I purposefully didn’t mention anything that hasn’t already been written about many times. 
It’s a terrific camera.

Bags27 Senior Member • Posts: 1,720
Re: Thoughts on the M11
1

Foto1975 wrote:

Mike2019 wrote:

Foto1975 wrote:

Mike2019 wrote:

How can you have thoughts on something that is not known yet?

I spent some time with it (under an embargo).

Well, you have violated the embargo by sharing your thoughts that contain technical details.

No man. I Just tried to contribute and answered your question 🤦🏻‍♂️
Although Mods do feel free to remove anything I’ve posted if you feel it’s inappropriate.
I purposefully didn’t mention anything that hasn’t already been written about many times.
It’s a terrific camera.

Thanks for contributing what you could.

Mike2019 Contributing Member • Posts: 888
Re: Thoughts on the M11

Bags27 wrote:

Foto1975 wrote:

Mike2019 wrote:

Foto1975 wrote:

Mike2019 wrote:

How can you have thoughts on something that is not known yet?

I spent some time with it (under an embargo).

Well, you have violated the embargo by sharing your thoughts that contain technical details.

No man. I Just tried to contribute and answered your question 🤦🏻‍♂️
Although Mods do feel free to remove anything I’ve posted if you feel it’s inappropriate.
I purposefully didn’t mention anything that hasn’t already been written about many times.
It’s a terrific camera.

Thanks for contributing what you could.

While violating the embargo by Leica!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads