G1X Mk III : use Hoya UV filter to replace lens cap?

Started 7 months ago | Questions
S_L
S_L Junior Member • Posts: 48
G1X Mk III : use Hoya UV filter to replace lens cap?

I have searched and read as much as I could find here online for the possibility of using UV filter to replace lens cap for G1X Mk III.

Answers have been anything from "no problem at all" to "using it sparingly" to "shady/confusing Canon official replies" to "a straight NO" from the members here.

That I got myself the camera lately and really want the convenience of having no lens cap, I just pulled the trigger and got the Hoya UV lens (see below) .

As some of you mentioned the "paper test", does it mean putting a small piece of paper on the lens, screwed on the filter and see if the paper moves in-between, in order to made sure the two pieces of glasses are not touching?

I did that first with a piece of normal A4 paper and got freaked out when the paper "stuck" between the lens and filter. Then, I tried again with a thin baking baker and the paper moved between the lens and filter with no problem at all (see the two camera photos below).

Does this mean the camera passed the test and the camera-plus-UVfilter-byebye-lens-cap combo is good to go?

Would some experienced members who have tried or discussed this in the past be kind and give some advice/"user experience" update?

Thanks a lot!

S_L's gear list:S_L's gear list
Canon G1 X III
ANSWER:
IanMaw Regular Member • Posts: 121
Re: G1X Mk III : use Hoya UV filter to replace lens cap?

I have used a Hoya Protection filter since I got my G1x III without issue.

I hope this helps.

On a side note I did send a Canon 100-400mm II 'L' lens to Canon UK for AF calibration to my camera and they said that the Hoya Protection filter, from the same range, was causing a loss in image quality. I haven't used the filter on that lens since, but continue to use the one on my G1x III.

Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 6,285

Hello...

S_L wrote:

I have searched and read as much as I could find here online for the possibility of using UV filter to replace lens cap for G1X Mk III.

Answers have been anything from "no problem at all" to "using it sparingly" to "shady/confusing Canon official replies" to "a straight NO" from the members here.

That I got myself the camera lately and really want the convenience of having no lens cap, I just pulled the trigger and got the Hoya UV lens (see below) .

As some of you mentioned the "paper test", does it mean putting a small piece of paper on the lens, screwed on the filter and see if the paper moves in-between, in order to made sure the two pieces of glasses are not touching?

I did that first with a piece of normal A4 paper and got freaked out when the paper "stuck" between the lens and filter. Then, I tried again with a thin baking baker and the paper moved between the lens and filter with no problem at all (see the two camera photos below).

Does this mean the camera passed the test and the camera-plus-UVfilter-byebye-lens-cap combo is good to go?

Would some experienced members who have tried or discussed this in the past be kind and give some advice/"user experience" update?

Thanks a lot!

You can go to your nearest camera store, B&H or Best Buy for one. IMHO.:-)

-- hide signature --

Sue Anne Rush

Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Canon PowerShot Zoom Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS Rebel T7 +4 more
Chris 222 Senior Member • Posts: 1,802

The devil is in the details here perhaps more than with most issues.

Yes, the lens cap is a total PITA and like all the (many) G1X3 owners in my community, I immediately removed it and replaced it with a filter.

You do not want to use use a UV filter since the lens already has plenty of coatings that address this (and much more.)

Ian is correct that some filters can cause a (very minimal anyway) loss of IQ. What I do on all my lenses is use a super high-quality clear filter (watch out for fakes though), in this case I just looked at my records for you and it was the Marumi 37mm EXUS Lens Protect Filter. It works perfect on the X3.

And BTW it does not touch the lens. Be careful to tighten your filter "just snug" though, as it's easy to overtighten those puppies.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
YehudaKatz Senior Member • Posts: 2,410
How about a lens hood instead of a filter?

No text.

YehudaKatz's gear list:YehudaKatz's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
S_L
OP S_L Junior Member • Posts: 48

Thanks for the reply.

Are you using the filter to protect the lens or to replace the lens cap?

p.s. I am sure others appreciate your side note.

Canon G1 X III
S_L

Chris 222 wrote:

Yes, the lens cap is a total PITA and like all the (many) G1X3 owners in my community, I immediately removed it and replaced it with a filter.

Thanks for the detailed reply. It is exactly what I am looking for

One more silly question, if one carries the camera around with filter instead of the lens cap, does it mean he needs to carry a lens cloth to clean the filter glass quickly before using the camera?

It seems logical as the lens cap will do a better job preventing dust sticking on glass surface but I am new to all these.

You do not want to use use a UV filter since the lens already has plenty of coatings that address this (and much more.)

Ian is correct that some filters can cause a (very minimal anyway) loss of IQ. What I do on all my lenses is use a super high-quality clear filter (watch out for fakes though), in this case I just looked at my records for you and it was the Marumi 37mm EXUS Lens Protect Filter. It works perfect on the X3.

The UV filter is bought so it´s a bit too late, but thank you for introducing another made in Japan filter brand to me. I bought the Hoya filter because it was mentioned by a few G1X Mk III owners here and is not made in China.

By doing some additional reading on the website, it seems the UV filter should not have much negative impact to the photo quality and probably render itself as a clear glass filter as modern digital cameras already have good built-in UV filter quality.

And BTW it does not touch the lens. Be careful to tighten your filter "just snug" though, as it's easy to overtighten those puppies.

Got it!

Canon G1 X III
PowerMike G5 Regular Member • Posts: 100

S_L wrote:

Chris 222 wrote:

One more silly question, if one carries the camera around with filter instead of the lens cap, does it mean he needs to carry a lens cloth to clean the filter glass quickly before using the camera?

It seems logical as the lens cap will do a better job preventing dust sticking on glass surface but I am new to all these.

The UV filter is bought so it´s a bit too late, but thank you for introducing another made in Japan filter brand to me. I bought the Hoya filter because it was mentioned by a few G1X Mk III owners here and is not made in China.

By doing some additional reading on the website, it seems the UV filter should not have much negative impact to the photo quality and probably render itself as a clear glass filter as modern digital cameras already have good built-in UV filter quality.

Got it!

I too, like many users, use a UV lens filter on the camera permanently.  I do still use the lens cap, but it clips onto the filter threads of the filter just fine.

There has been no quality difference with using the filter vs not, so that's been good.  It's been convenient to walk around during vacations (when that was a thing haha) and just keep the lens cap off.

I do have a lens cleaning microfiber cloth in my bag with me, which usually comes with me when I am out with the camera.

S_L wrote:

Chris 222 wrote:

As always, glad to be of help!

Not a silly question at all. Like Mike, I always have stuff to clean my front filters (if the new lens/cam has a spotless front element, which is not always the case out of the factory particularly with Lumix, those go on the lens as soon as I open the box): LensPen, a small chunk of microfiber (the high-quality stuff since the household type sheds enormous amounts of micro-plastics) plus a few sheets of optical paper, the whole kit is inside a small plastic bag and takes very little space. I don't use it often but it's there when I need it. .

It certainly does, but it's such a pain to use that I only stick it on when I'm hiking (I do quite a bit of that, see R links below my siggy) in very steep/rocky terrain.

BTW, I use my X3 as either my main high-IQ WA cam or as a backup when I bring ILC gear. I tend to keep it either in a backpack's belt pocket or inside the very versatile LowePro Dashpoint (the 20 is super snug especially with the cap on, so I use the 30 more.)

Unfortunately that's not the case. There were in-depth comparative studies made some years back (by some Japanese labs as well as Lens Rentals if memory serves) that clearly showed how much the more than half-dozen coating layers applied to some UV filters affect both light intake and lens quality. I tested myself some old UV filters I used to have on my film cams and found some pretty horrible results (yikes!)

This which is why I favor clear filters, which I use primarily because I'd rather scratch one of those (not uncommon while bushwhacking in certain terrains) or crack it, than my front lens element. And as Mike said, you can still snap the cover to many of those if you like.

BTW, after finding out on my first X3 how much extra space the hood takes, I stopped using one altogether. I found that I get the same or better results by using the old cupped hand trick.

YehudaKatz Senior Member • Posts: 2,410
Do you like rain droplets on your lens?

Chris 222 wrote:

No, because these are two very different things.

Would you replace your glasses with a hat? LOL.

YehudaKatz's gear list:YehudaKatz's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM

YehudaKatz wrote:

Chris 222 wrote:

No, because these are two very different things.

Would you replace your glasses with a hat? LOL.

For a guy who's got over 2K posts you have a remarkably bizarre way of conversing.

Did I write: "Do you like rain droplets on your lens?" anywhere? No I did not.

So, please follow forum etiquette, and please stop posting this type of OT nonsense.

BTW I do not get droplets on my front lens when I shoot in the rain, but that's not what this thread is about.

bridge77 Contributing Member • Posts: 564

S_L wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

i use both.   the cap comes off before shooting, but the filter stays on all the time.

the cap seems good for storage of any camera from accidental abuse.  this really is a personal issue i feel, as some tend to have accidents and dirt of all kinds and others just float over the top of all problems.

usually when i shoot, i carry a case with around my shoulder and a wrist camera strap on a smaller camera.

the lens caps is the best protection for me, and i keep it in my pocket as they seem so easy to lose.  the UV filter is next and doesn't seem to hurt my IQ so very cheap insurance.  i don't mind cleaning the filter as needed but mostly don't  bother.

if i feel a picture needs highest IQ then simply unscrewing the UV filter seems to be a sensible way to fulfill that issue.

in the end, i have never had a lens issue in my life time and have never broken a filter or lens.

we really don't need anything generally as the lens and coating are sufficient to protect the camera.  we tend to protect against that once in a life time accident to our lenses.  so i also use a rubber hood on most of my lenses for flair and protection.

i wouldn't be in  a hurry to get all these things unless you foresee some future danger this week.  my new bridge camera just has a lens cap but i will prolly get a UV filter for it and maybe a rubber flair hood in time.  the rubber hood seems to protect better for me than the hard plastic that doesn't collapse easily by reversing it.  some have complained of issues with these kinds of hoods when hitting things.

bridge77 wrote:

S_L wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

i use both. the cap comes off before shooting, but the filter stays on all the time.

the cap seems good for storage of any camera from accidental abuse. this really is a personal issue i feel, as some tend to have accidents and dirt of all kinds and others just float over the top of all problems.

usually when i shoot, i carry a case with around my shoulder and a wrist camera strap on a smaller camera.

the lens caps is the best protection for me, and i keep it in my pocket as they seem so easy to lose. the UV filter is next and doesn't seem to hurt my IQ so very cheap insurance. i don't mind cleaning the filter as needed but mostly don't bother.

if i feel a picture needs highest IQ then simply unscrewing the UV filter seems to be a sensible way to fulfill that issue.

in the end, i have never had a lens issue in my life time and have never broken a filter or lens.

we really don't need anything generally as the lens and coating are sufficient to protect the camera. we tend to protect against that once in a life time accident to our lenses. so i also use a rubber hood on most of my lenses for flair and protection.

i wouldn't be in a hurry to get all these things unless you foresee some future danger this week. my new bridge camera just has a lens cap but i will prolly get a UV filter for it and maybe a rubber flair hood in time. the rubber hood seems to protect better for me than the hard plastic that doesn't collapse easily by reversing it. some have complained of issues with these kinds of hoods when hitting things.

I'm curious about these "rubber flair" items. Could you please post links?

Chris 222 wrote:

bridge77 wrote:

S_L wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

i use both. the cap comes off before shooting, but the filter stays on all the time.

the cap seems good for storage of any camera from accidental abuse. this really is a personal issue i feel, as some tend to have accidents and dirt of all kinds and others just float over the top of all problems.

the lens caps is the best protection for me, and i keep it in my pocket as they seem so easy to lose. the UV filter is next and doesn't seem to hurt my IQ so very cheap insurance. i don't mind cleaning the filter as needed but mostly don't bother.

we really don't need anything generally as the lens and coating are sufficient to protect the camera. we tend to protect against that once in a life time accident to our lenses. so i also use a rubber hood on most of my lenses for flair and protection.

i wouldn't be in a hurry to get all these things unless you foresee some future danger this week. my new bridge camera just has a lens cap but i will prolly get a UV filter for it and maybe a rubber flair hood in time. the rubber hood seems to protect better for me than the hard plastic that doesn't collapse easily by reversing it. some have complained of issues with these kinds of hoods when hitting things.

I'm curious about these "rubber flair" items. Could you please post links?

sure, all they are is a rubber lens hood instead of a plastic or metal one.

they work like a normal hood to reduce lens flair but also as a bumper when hitting things. also when stored in a camera bag the hood easily collapses to fit the bag. i use them on most of my lenses. just an extra bit of protection.

use this at the amazon search engine for starters... 58MM Lens Hood Set (Tulip Flower + Collapsible Rubber Lens Hood)

S_L

Thanks for sharing! Sounds reassuring!

I have been bringing a small microfiber cloth with me after reading the comment here.

Canon G1 X III
S_L
Re: How about a lens hood instead of a filter?

It will defeat the purpose of having a "pocketable" camera. It sounds exaggerating but I won't be able to put the camera in the inner-pocket of my jacket with the lens hood.

Canon G1 X III
Re: How about a lens hood instead of a filter?

S_L wrote:

It will defeat the purpose of having a "pocketable" camera. It sounds exaggerating but I won't be able to put the camera in the inner-pocket of my jacket with the lens hood.

LOL, your right.

my pocket camera has nothing on it. but i think different with a bridge camera or dslr, there i use a filter, hood and cap on many of my lenses. my nikon pocket point/shoot has a built in lens cap so not an issue, i just don't expect much from my point/shoot nikon.......for the most part is shoots fine.

edit, in summation this thing is preference.  only you know how your camera is used.  some protect equipment with overkill, and others do nothing and get along fine.  i do both, so far no problems.

S_L

So I got the chance to take the camera with filter only for the first time and it was so refreshing to just forget the lens cap! New found freedom!

Here are a few photos:

Underexposed on purpose for "richer" rainbow colour. Probably time for exposure bracketing for photoshop editing? (a bit too advance for me at current stage)

Read Chris' "old cupped hand" trick a bit too late. I definitely need to learn that!

Canon G1 X III

congrats!  i usually just throw my camera in a camera bag and that is mostly the protection it needs, then cap it after shooting.

the UV filters are very cheap and worth it as it affects IQ negligibly imho.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads