Mavic 3 or 2 pro?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
mahsar Junior Member • Posts: 29
Mavic 3 or 2 pro?

I'm thinking of buying a new drone. Have never had a drone.

The price is not a problem because my university pays for it. I need a drone for a research project, where we need video and still images with good quality. We vill use the drone i n different light situation( both day and night)

The limit is $ 3,000.
I stand in the choice between Mavic 3 and 2 pro.
1- Which of them do you recommend?
2- Is there a significant difference between the 2 drones?

Thank you for your  guidance.

mahsar's gear list:mahsar's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX10 IV Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
Len-O Senior Member • Posts: 1,602
Re: Mavic 3 or 2 pro?

mahsar wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a new drone. Have never had a drone.

The price is not a problem because my university pays for it. I need a drone for a research project, where we need video and still images with good quality. We vill use the drone i n different light situation( both day and night)

The limit is $ 3,000.
I stand in the choice between Mavic 3 and 2 pro.
1- Which of them do you recommend?

Using University funds I would go for the Mavic 3 Fly More Combo as that would include 2 extra batteries, and props. However, I have been flying for two years.

2- Is there a significant difference between the 2 drones?

Yes! Especially when it comes to sensor size and obstacle avoidance sensors. The M3 with a 4/3 sensor has better low light performance than the 2 pro

Thank you for your guidance.

The big caveat is neither the Mavic 3, nor 2 Pro are particularly good drones for first time flyers. There is a learning curve which cannot rule out accidental crashes, and damage to the drone. I would suggest including a Mavic Mini 2 in your buying plans so as to make flight training a little less costly.

You have not mentioned where you, and your university are located, but it might be worthwhile researching local Laws, and regulations regarding drone use.

Len-O's gear list:Len-O's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
OP mahsar Junior Member • Posts: 29

Thanks for your feedback!
I live in Sweden which is a well regulated country when it comes to where the border goes for drone flying. We will study tall trees and rocks to see how acidic rain affects the environment. therefore, i need a stable drain that can go near an object , stand and film for a few minutes.

So you mean 2 pro i useless in my case?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX10 IV Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
IsaacImage
IsaacImage Regular Member • Posts: 267

If you don’t have any experience yet with flying drones I would save so $ and would hit for air 2s

amazing machine

but if you are asking regards to 2pro vs 3

huge difference in a low light due to a sensor size - 3 better

in a day light both doing great job

-- hide signature --

www.isaacimage.com

IsaacImage's gear list:IsaacImage's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more
Len-O Senior Member • Posts: 1,602

mahsar wrote:

Thanks for your feedback!
I live in Sweden which is a well regulated country when it comes to where the border goes for drone flying. We will study tall trees and rocks to see how acidic rain affects the environment. therefore, i need a stable drain that can go near an object , stand and film for a few minutes.

I believe your first step is to familiarize yourself with regulations pertaining to drone/unmanned aircraft flight in Sweden.

https://transportstyrelsen.se/en/aviation/Aircraft/drones--unmanned-aircraft/

https://uavcoach.com/drone-laws-in-sweden/

https://drone-laws.com/drone-laws-in-sweden/

There is a reason I suggested starting with a DJI Mini 2 as first drone as it is probably the best of the sub-250g drones which lessens complications regarding licensing and legal flight in Europe.

So you mean 2 pro i useless in my case?

No, just that the Mavic 3 is a substantially better drone, but both weigh more than 250g, and that has regulation, and operator licensing consequences in Sweden.

Len-O's gear list:Len-O's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more

Thanks for your informative links. Appreciate it

Nebell
Nebell Regular Member • Posts: 365

Len-O wrote:

The big caveat is neither the Mavic 3, nor 2 Pro are particularly good drones for first time flyers. There is a learning curve which cannot rule out accidental crashes, and damage to the drone. I would suggest including a Mavic Mini 2 in your buying plans so as to make flight training a little less costly.

I disagree with this statement. Mini 2 is less friendly for first time flyers.
The only thing Mini 2 has for it is its cheap price.
But it does not have omnidirectional collision sensors (in fact it has none) so if you fly into something, it will crash.
Mavic 2/3 both have sensors that will protect the drone from accidental crashes.
Also, Mini 2 has bad wind resistance compared to the bigger drones. If the winds are strong, you might have problems getting your drone back, which risks losing it.
Mavic 2/3 are heavier drones with stronger motors that can resist strong winds much better and fly home in winds that would blow Mini 2 away from you.

Sweden is quite liberal when it comes to drone laws. I did a $15 course and was done with it.
Also I think you should not decide between Mavic 2 and 3 and instead look into Air 2s and Mavic 3. But since it's not your money, I'd go for Mavic 3. It's currently in its own league when it comes to portable drones.

Nebell's gear list:Nebell's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS +2 more
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 18,929

Just how important is the camera?  What sort of specifications are required there?

I'm a beginner, with a Mini2 less than a year old.   In terms of flying, this was a very easy drone to fly.  I suspect all the DJI drones are pretty easy.  That said, the Mini2 has some advantages and disadvantages compared to bigger drones like the Mavic3 and Pro2.

Disadvantages (in flying) are lighter weight (not as good against wind - this might be critical to your application if it is to be done in very windy areas.) and no collision avoidance sensors.   If you are not flying around trees and walls, like basically just go up and look down on your subjects, you don't really need obstacle avoidance, but it's always nice to have.  I've crashed my Mini2 into a tree when I was flying it backwards but just looking at the display instead of up at the drone.

Advantages (in flying) are related to 250g and the less need for training and certification.

But the cameras can really vary.  My Mini2 camera is basically a 4k cell phone camera, and while it does OK on video, the still images really .... look like cell phone images. (I shoot a Nikon D850 otherwise, so I'm spoiled.)

Consider the camera very carefully indeed.  My Mini2 even has a fixed aperture, so I have to use Neutral Density filters when shooting video to keep the fps down.  (Slow frame rate may not matter to your application though.)   If you need to shoot in low light, even more to consider.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"I miss the days when I was nostalgic."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +45 more

Thank you vey much!

I bought the Mavic 3 but have not tried it yet. It will be enough for my need. It is vinter in Sweden and not easy to fly a drone.

Paul Gath Regular Member • Posts: 195

Do you have any examples that demonstrate your statement that there is a huge difference in low light? I have read many reviews comparing the 2 Pro and 3, most of which saying the stills image quality is not much difference. Most were surprised at how little difference there is between the two given the sensor difference.

Example images would be good if you have them.

If you have comparative any

Paul Gath's gear list:Paul Gath's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Troubleshooter
Troubleshooter Regular Member • Posts: 384

Air 2S

Troubleshooter's gear list:Troubleshooter's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T3
B_R_C
B_R_C Regular Member • Posts: 102

Paul Gath wrote:

Do you have any examples that demonstrate your statement that there is a huge difference in low light? I have read many reviews comparing the 2 Pro and 3, most of which saying the stills image quality is not much difference. Most were surprised at how little difference there is between the two given the sensor difference.

Example images would be good if you have them.

If you have comparative any

YouTube is full of comparisons...

B_R_C's gear list:B_R_C's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS R5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads