2022 - Moving to Sony Alpha and making NX line a backup, anyone else?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Wahid Khan 1961 Regular Member • Posts: 164
Re: 2022 - Moving to Sony Alpha and making NX line a backup, anyone else?

doceyes wrote:

1. markyboy81 wrote:

You're right about the batteries, that's one component that will definitely fail over time.

I have 3 original NX1 batteries that seem to be holding up fairly well. Unfortunately, the original NX500 battery is hard to come by, although that camera is compatible with the batteries the NX1000 (and probably others) takes. I have some 3rd party batteries, but they're mostly useless. If anyone can recommend a good 3rd party brand that still produces NX batteries that would be great.

I purchased aftermarket on Amazon after reading the reviews. They seem to perform well. As long as I get at least 75% compared to an original manufacturer er battery then I am OK. For $30 CDN and a charger included could not go wrong.

Amazon aftermarket battery

Thanks. Good to know.

Wahid Khan 1961's gear list:Wahid Khan 1961's gear list
Samsung EX2F Samsung NX10 Pentax K-5 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX20 +33 more
OP Onetwoshot Forum Member • Posts: 50

Wish I had that freedom of trying them all   and since I posted I still held back from returning the S5 due to having an extended return period.

I am still confused in my choice, the a7iii comes in at a bargain price with all the cashback's but then the S5 is also on par (£1600 for the body with 20-60 and 50mm) so more or less same price.

Sony has a better upgrade path, keeps the resale value and the lense offering is really good on the used market, can save a lot of money buying used glass whilst with Panasonic, being a newer FF system choice is limited.

I am only worried about Panasonic AF in video, I like to also be in the family videos, so putting the S5 on a tripod would mean that I am worried of what could the AF do... Then again, I could use the NX1 for such videos and enjoy the 10bit performance of S5 whilst being behind the camera.

It looks like Panasonic will never include PDAF, so buying s5 in hoping that s6 will have PDAF and upgrading to it is reaching...

I will just have to watch 100 more youtube reviews and comparisons but anyhow, everyone forgot about a7iii now, it's all a7iv. In price range, s5's competitor is a7iii even though apart from AF everything is slightly better.

Onetwoshot's gear list:Onetwoshot's gear list
Samsung Galaxy NX Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
Peter Her Junior Member • Posts: 28

Hi,

Fwiw, I did have opportunity to get a Sony RX10 Mark IV. I own a few NX500 and one NX1 with 16/30/45 mm pancakes, 85mm f1.4 and the small 16-50mm. The zoom on the RX10 was insane (up to 600mm in 35mm) however I quickly missed the SOOC snappy color and the sharpness I used to get from my NX500/NX1. That's why I sold it afterwards. Don't get me wrong, RX10 MIV is a great camera, very versatile, and could be far enough for many, but not for me with my Samsung NX background.

markyboy81 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,754

Peter Her wrote:

Hi,

Fwiw, I did have opportunity to get a Sony RX10 Mark IV. I own a few NX500 and one NX1 with 16/30/45 mm pancakes, 85mm f1.4 and the small 16-50mm. The zoom on the RX10 was insane (up to 600mm in 35mm) however I quickly missed the SOOC snappy color and the sharpness I used to get from my NX500/NX1. That's why I sold it afterwards. Don't get me wrong, RX10 MIV is a great camera, very versatile, and could be far enough for many, but not for me with my Samsung NX background.

Very interesting. I think I would have reached the same conclusion. That's one itch I don't have to scratch then!

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony ZV-1 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +9 more
mangokid Forum Member • Posts: 94

Onetwoshot's review is very informative for me.  Love the two NX1's and S lenses I have, but also have been eyeing the Sony full frame cameras. I have lost interest in the Sony a7 iii after reading this review. But the A7 4 looks intriguing. Am currently also looking at the Panasonic S cameras, as I want to do a lot of anamorphic shooting

mangokid's gear list:mangokid's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 III
larneytony New Member • Posts: 19

Onetwoshot wrote:

Has anyone else invested in another system alongside the NX? Was it a good move for you or do you feel that Full Frame is not worth the extra?

I went the opposite way, I "invested" in six Samsung bodies (not yet the two top models) this past year which at first I used as backup to the Nikon Dslr's.

With improving confidence in them, I can now go out to a function/event/stage/music performance with a couple of NX's plus a few kit Samsung lenses - also backed up with (adapted) fast e.g. 50, 85 and 300 Nikkors and can leave behind the DSLR.

I may probably release my apsc Nikon outfit to offset the costs of my growing system!

To my mind I have the best of both worlds of two excellent camera systems: an OVF full frame Nikon AND mirrorless crop Samsungs. Covered for the immediate to mid future for the sort of paid/pleasure shooting (more of the second nowadays) I anticipate.

The Samsung system still has legs, I believe. I almost want to keep it a secret how good it is (with a few foibles I can live with) - even against a new Sony/Fuji as some here have compared. While one may sometimes spot a good bargain on ebay, mostly the cameras and lenses lately seem to fetch - or ask for - inflated prices, imo, for low-end, older models. NX1 and 500 prices are way up there, and yet apparently get sold.

So there seems to be a demand holding, and a ready supply, for now.

My quick response, and while everybody's needs differ - and whichever is one's selection of another main system camera - keep the Samsungs!

(and stock up with batteries)

PhotoLouP Forum Member • Posts: 73

I started with a kodak retina, moved to canon ae1 and a1 which I loved.  Then Minolta came out with the x series with off camera flash abd autofocus, game changing for me with a 7xi and new baby.  Digital started coming along but I liked my minolta glass.  Then Sony bought Minolta and I succumbed to digital ith th a350, yben a580 (way underrated) and finally full in with a77ii.  Dang I love that but mine has a weirrd autofocus and hit rate dropped (recently I disassembled and recalibrated it myself wish I had done that years ago noemit works great!).  On  a business trlp I stopped in Frys and tried the NX100 with the 30mm lens and was hooked.  Got an nx20 which had potential but sucky viewfinder.  I found myself grabbing nx to hike just because it was so compact witb great sensors.  Then the nx500 came out and my use of a77ii was only for birds and I was going to drop A mount to nx1 but there were no long telephotos.  Nx is awesome for adapting but when I was about to get nx1 Samsung left the market.  Ugggh.  Then Sony abandoned A mount as I eyed going full frame with a99ii because e mount flashes had a new interface.  Ugggh 2.  I like common glass and common batteries and common cables like usb micro and common flashes like all the old film systems that could use a vivitar 283.  Nx500 would still kill the current apsc market, but i wished for a nice viewfinder, which I would use for birding with an adapted lens.  It still is the lightest and most hikeable high quality camera I have tried.  But .... then a friend lent me his a7r4 and a1.  I got the a7r4 and adapted my a mount glass noting a1 is great (like the canon a1!).  It is just perfect to me for my use and the viewfinder is worth it along with the resolution and autofocus and good fit to my hands.  My Nx500 is still my travel setup though; now I'm kind of looking a a7cbut the nx still is way lighter and more than capable and the only reason I may go a7c is for the viewfinder,but being left eye dominant will stick with nx500 for now. Samsung failed in putting out a long telephoto and a 90 to 100mm macro, but their other lenses and 28mp apsc is still good enough for everthing else.  Final note with the son a7r4 my apsc mode is 26 mp but side by side I prefer the nx, nut barely.  Having full frame and similar adaptability of lenses along with better optics from zeiss, sony and voigtlander is pushing me that direction, as an oldrr hobbyist I am their market.  I considered l-mount but it picked a dumb flange distance so Sony it is.  Er, for now.  I am not selling my samsung but a mount will likely go.  Final note i love the a77ii ergonomics and a7r4 is still bigger and heavier than my canon a1, but Samsung is smaller and lighter.  And no new camera has made me a better photographer but they have made some things easier and more fun like the animal tracking autofocus on a7r4 (and lordy the eye tracker onnthe a1 i tried!).  One more note is I love articulated viewfinders for landscape and I have no idea why sony didnt take the a77ii/a99ii design to emount, but a7r4's is good enough similar to the nx500  an interesting thing hapoened with a7r4 though-my wif of 32 years has taken and is learning photography because she loved my initial photos with it, she did start on the nx500 but doesn't use that anymore.  A rare WAF for such an expensive investment! .  Well that is a short story for you!

PhotoLouP's gear list:PhotoLouP's gear list
Samsung NX100 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX500 Sony a7R IVA Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +13 more
maikl80 Junior Member • Posts: 33

Yes, I moved on and finally got a Nikon Z7 around 7 month ago. And I am really happy and impressed by this camera and I think mainly the lenses. Picture quality is at another level compared to my Samsung NX 500 but I think this is due to the better lenses. I have the Nikon Z 14-30mm and the 24-200mm. I was missing both on my Samsung camera. I know there is the 12-24mm which is not quite as wide and the 18-200mm which seems to have serious image quality issues if you belife the reviews. Also when Samsung quit I did not want to invest a lot into lenses for a dead system. Initially I expected prices of used lenses to drop very fast but that was not the case. Only now they seems to become cheaper slowly. So I do most of my pictures with the Nikon now - mainly Landscape/Nature and some architecture. I sold the 50-200mm, the 16-50 PZ and the Samyang 12mm.

I still keep my Samsung NX500 with the three pancake lenses 10mm, 20mm and 30mm. I like the fisheye which is very small but so tiny and with AF - I don't know any other fisheye lens for another system that is so tiny, cheap and has AF. Although I don't use it often it alone is a good reason to keep the NX500. The 20mm and 30mm I will mainly use for street photography or if I just want to have a really small and light camera with me. So I plan to still use the Samsung in the future until it fails.

So if I want the highest quality I will take the Nikon and for small and light the Samsung. Currently I am very happy with this combination.

larneytony New Member • Posts: 19

maikl80 wrote:

So if I want the highest quality I will take the Nikon and for small and light the Samsung. Currently I am very happy with this combination.

Yeah, a combination makes most sense. While holding onto a core of the Samsung system at least. Deciding on one or the other is a false alternative. One never knows the photographic direction one will choose to take in future, and in the mean time I can't see a reason, monetary or practical, considering the small, lightweight package giving huge bang for the size, picture quality-wise - to discard all of it when you already own it and are familiar with the system..

Mind you, a Z7 is way advanced in many ways! It's just that with both you're covered.

Why oh why, Samsung didn't develop and leave us with a nice, compact +/- 300 mm? A third party manufacturer would find a large niche market if they made one today. Fully integrated of course, with IOS and constant f4 would have been a great addition to the prime lens tool box. Plus a 1.4 x tele-converter? It can be a pain to rely on using adapters and heavy Nikkors (etc.) for tele work. Dreaming, I know.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads