Monitor for Lightroom on M1 Pro Macbook Pro

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Opher New Member • Posts: 6
Monitor for Lightroom on M1 Pro Macbook Pro

I read through a lot of reviews and info and am still not sure what is better for me.  I am moving from an older windows machine and a Dell U2715 27 inch 4K monitor.

I am trying to figure out between a 4K 32 inch (larger screen) or 5K 27 inch (more DPI).

Any thoughts what would work better?  I use the machine for Lightroom exclusively.

The two specific monitors I am looking at (and that are available where I live, with a similar price, though I can get a significant discount on the LG) are:

1. LG27MK5KB 27 inch 5K with USBC (also available on Apple store and is "compatible/endorsed" by Apple).
  2. Dell UltraSharp 32 inch 4K U3219Q USBC monitor.

Thoughts?  Should I prefer the DPI or the size?  Any particular comments about these monitors?

robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 9,757
Re: Monitor for Lightroom on M1 Pro Macbook Pro

Opher wrote:

I read through a lot of reviews and info and am still not sure what is better for me. I am moving from an older windows machine and a Dell U2715 27 inch 4K monitor.

I am trying to figure out between a 4K 32 inch (larger screen) or 5K 27 inch (more DPI).

Any thoughts what would work better? I use the machine for Lightroom exclusively.

The two specific monitors I am looking at (and that are available where I live, with a similar price, though I can get a significant discount on the LG) are:

1. LG27MK5KB 27 inch 5K with USBC (also available on Apple store and is "compatible/endorsed" by Apple).

Thoughts? Should I prefer the DPI or the size? Any particular comments about these monitors?

It depends on your ergonomics.

32 inch monitor has the same information is your current monitor. Just bigger pixels, spread out more. It might be nice if you want to sit far away from it. Otherwise I don't see what you gain.

The 5K monitor will give you more information on the screen. I'm sure you can see more of your image when editing at say 1 to 1. Or in full screen mode in Lightroom.

OP Opher New Member • Posts: 6

Thanks.  Another comment - I work "zoomed in" to max resolution often when doing fine brush work etc, I don't know if that impacts the answer.

Opher

joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,253

Opher wrote:

I read through a lot of reviews and info and am still not sure what is better for me. I am moving from an older windows machine and a Dell U2715 27 inch 4K monitor.

Any thoughts what would work better? I use the machine for Lightroom exclusively.

Thoughts? Should I prefer the DPI or the size? Any particular comments about these monitors?

Ask yourself a few basic questions:

• What do you want to achieve by a lager screen?
    • you'll probably put that display further way to see the full screen - otherwise you'll have to tilt your head constantly from left to right
    • the larger screen has less pixels - what would be the benefit of larger and fewer pixels?
  • What counts more for you?
    • larger fewer pixels
    • more smaller pixels

The number of details you're going to see on a 27" 5k display is probably higher than the lower pixel count.

Additionally make sure you understand how the display work and whether the front structure is fine enough - in case you get a mate display you don't have to thing about resolution - you'll probably see the texture of the display surface in certain light conditions.

I plane every display in a way that i can completely view it - with my 27" display it is roughly

16..20 inches distance ( 40 .. 50 cm ) - with a 32" display it's be probably a few inches more.

I never understood the idea of a larger screen for photo editing. For gaming a curved display with a larger area and a 1 : 2.3 or larger aspect ratio makes a lot of sense and for video guys a 2nd scree can be beneficial as a preview display - most photo editing softwares i know do a pretty well job with the image in the center.

Last but not least you can easily zoom 200 or 400 % to see more details - but you hardly can add more pixels.

Fun fact - your Mac will always have more to compute once you use an odd enlargement.

In other words with ½ of 5120x2880 you get more computational power out of your MAC

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM +13 more
CBR1100XX Senior Member • Posts: 1,314

Opher wrote:

Thanks. Another comment - I work "zoomed in" to max resolution often when doing fine brush work etc, I don't know if that impacts the answer.

Opher

It still goes both ways, but I'd lean more towards larger in that case VS more resolution. 5k is really great for 4k video production so you can have 1 to 1 pixel for the video while leaving space for the UI.

I have an iMac 5k and Dell 27" 4k monitors both on my desk and at my normal viewing distance it's not night and day and I'm thinking of going larger for my next monitor to make it easier to see details on faces when they're a small part of the composition.

And one wildcard suggestion, a 43" 4k display. You can get them starting at around 700 and while in terms of display quality they are a bit behind the best ones today but they're still decent and that screen real estate might make it worth it for your specific workflow.

OP Opher New Member • Posts: 6

It would probably be best if I could try both and be able to answer all your good questions from direct use.

Some answers - I was thinking (perhaps incorrectly) that the larger screen would make it easier to work on fine detail brush stuff for example - because it is bigger and even with glasses my eyesight isn't perfect.  So it is not for the "largeness" to look at from further away, but for the fact that when focusing on a particular area, from the same distance, it would spread on a larger area and be easier to see.  Just having more pixels in the same area is great as long as your eyesight can distinguish the difference.  By the same logic, pushing 4K into a 24 inch or 19 inch wouldn't make sense, even though it would allow more "detail" you couldn't see it.

Having said that, I get your points and probably 27 inch 5K is the better path.

Regarding compute on the Mac - that was true with older machines, but the M1 Max 64G has enough horsepower for the 5K, and I don't think the screen will make any difference to the compute.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads