X raw studio really slow

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Zagor87 New Member • Posts: 14
X raw studio really slow

Hi all, I am trying to use xraw studio to convert the raf files to different film simulation (also custom made).

The process of choosing the right film simulation scrolling throught the photos and changing every time the simulation is REALLY slow compared to let's say capture one when this is instant.

Is there a workaround or is it impossible to solve as the program use the built in camera processor and it's slow for that matter?

MaartenSFS Senior Member • Posts: 1,036
Re: X raw studio really slow

That's essentially why, yes. Still a powerful tool, though! Hopefully it will speed up with future updates!

-- hide signature --

- Cheers, Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker
https://www.flickr.com/photos/maartensfs/albums

OP Zagor87 New Member • Posts: 14

I also noticed that C1 raw files are opened like the jpeg (i see no differences from the jpeg, they seem to have the same settings, film simulation, clarity, sharpening, grain etc). Does it mean that opening the raf file is like editing the jpeg but with the flexibility that raws give you?

VfxByArt Regular Member • Posts: 446

Zagor87 wrote:

Hi all, I am trying to use xraw studio to convert the raf files to different film simulation (also custom made).

The process of choosing the right film simulation scrolling throught the photos and changing every time the simulation is REALLY slow compared to let's say capture one when this is instant.

Is there a workaround or is it impossible to solve as the program use the built in camera processor and it's slow for that matter?

Same problem here.  I guess piping each thru the camera eats up processing time.

VfxByArt's gear list:VfxByArt's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +10 more
bs1946
bs1946 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,533

Capture One, SilkyPix, and even the evil empire of Adobe have Fujifilm Simulations, but while they're close, they're not exactly the same.

X-Raw Studio is slow because you are starting with RAFs that have already been downloaded to your computer. Then X-Raw Studio establishes a connection back to your camera via a USB cable and when you select the RAF you want work on, X-Raw Studio uploads the RAF back to your camera, opens it in the in-camera raw converter and lets you use your mouse and keyboard to control the in-camera raw converter. Then when you save the jpeg, X-Raw Studio downloads the RAF and JPEG back over the same USB connection.

Long before someone at Fuji came us with X-Raw Studio, I would hook X-E1 to my monitor with an HDMI cable. As soon as I select Preview, the LCD output is rerouted to my monitor and the LCD goes black. I then select an image and use the in-camera raw converter to create and save the jpegs I want. Still have to use the camera's controls for everything but its a lot faster than using X-Raw Studio or a third-party raw converter.

Or just use the custom settings and shoot jpegs; fastest of all...

-- hide signature --

Bill S.
www.flickr.com/photos/wrs1946
“Blend in with the people and have as little equipment as possible”
- Alfred Eisenstaedt -

bs1946's gear list:bs1946's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Voigtlander 35mm F2.5 Color Skopar Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 Nokton Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM
Michael Floyd Contributing Member • Posts: 829

Zagor87 wrote:

I also noticed that C1 raw files are opened like the jpeg (i see no differences from the jpeg, they seem to have the same settings, film simulation, clarity, sharpening, grain etc). Does it mean that opening the raf file is like editing the jpeg but with the flexibility that raws give you?

I believe it is film sim only, which is applied as a base curve - not clarity, sharpening, grain etc etc...  You could set up a custom style to be applied on import though that would bring in a set of other adjustments as you please.

Regardless it is a very useful staring point if that is a path that appeals.  To my thinking, using CO in this way gives a great deal of the ease of the Film Sims while also allowing the flexibility of working from the RAF's.

baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 17,251

IMO it is slow as it uses the processor of the camera.RFC EX3 is fast as is Raw Therapee 5.x and of course the major editors

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more

Michael Floyd wrote:

Zagor87 wrote:

I believe it is film sim only, which is applied as a base curve - not clarity, sharpening, grain etc etc... You could set up a custom style to be applied on import though that would bring in a set of other adjustments as you please.

I don't know, to me they seem to be no differences..

Michael Floyd Contributing Member • Posts: 829

Zagor87 wrote:

Michael Floyd wrote:

Zagor87 wrote:

I believe it is film sim only, which is applied as a base curve - not clarity, sharpening, grain etc etc... You could set up a custom style to be applied on import though that would bring in a set of other adjustments as you please.

Take a photo with some obvious in camera settings, say strong large grain, import that into CO and see how you go.

bowportes Veteran Member • Posts: 4,218

Michael Floyd wrote:

Zagor87 wrote:

Regardless it is a very useful staring point if that is a path that appeals. To my thinking, using CO in this way gives a great deal of the ease of the Film Sims while also allowing the flexibility of working from the RAF's.

XRaw Studio enables you to set pretty much any JPEG setting that the camera will do, not just the film Sims. Its speed is greatly impacted by the speed of your USB port/cable

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
MaartenSFS Senior Member • Posts: 1,036

Look carefully. Especially when there is water or reflections.

-- hide signature --

- Cheers, Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker
https://www.flickr.com/photos/maartensfs/albums

CrashTestHuman Regular Member • Posts: 162

Zagor87 wrote:

Michael Floyd wrote:

Zagor87 wrote:

Capture One by default implements some amount of sharpening and noise reduction, so what you're adding to the photos may not be much different than what Capture One would have done anyway.

CrashTestHuman's gear list:CrashTestHuman's gear list
Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
rla1022 Contributing Member • Posts: 524

bs1946 wrote:

Capture One, SilkyPix, and even the evil empire of Adobe have Fujifilm Simulations, but while they're close, they're not exactly the same.

X-Raw Studio is slow because you are starting with RAFs that have already been downloaded to your computer. Then X-Raw Studio establishes a connection back to your camera via a USB cable and when you select the RAF you want work on, X-Raw Studio uploads the RAF back to your camera, opens it in the in-camera raw converter and lets you use your mouse and keyboard to control the in-camera raw converter. Then when you save the jpeg, X-Raw Studio downloads the RAF and JPEG back over the same USB connection.

Long before someone at Fuji came us with X-Raw Studio, I would hook X-E1 to my monitor with an HDMI cable. As soon as I select Preview, the LCD output is rerouted to my monitor and the LCD goes black. I then select an image and use the in-camera raw converter to create and save the jpegs I want. Still have to use the camera's controls for everything but its a lot faster than using X-Raw Studio or a third-party raw converter.

Or just use the custom settings and shoot jpegs; fastest of all...

Just wanted to say…. That this is a really cool idea.

rla1022's gear list:rla1022's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX9 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4

No, the raw opened in capture one is definately different then the jpeg.

VfxByArt Regular Member • Posts: 446

VfxByArt wrote:

Zagor87 wrote:

Same problem here. I guess piping each thru the camera eats up processing time.

there should be a button that left you MANUALLY update an image... so if I know I have to change the EV, shadow tone curve and change the WB to 4800 K, I should be able to do the changes WITHOUT the image needing to update, and THEN hit the update button.  That way the image make the round trip to the camera ONCE for those three changes rather than EVERY TIME I touch a control!!!!

VfxByArt's gear list:VfxByArt's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads