Fuji claiming “Large Format” for themselves?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Oldwino Regular Member • Posts: 377
Fuji claiming “Large Format” for themselves?
 Oldwino's gear list:Oldwino's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Ricoh GR III Ricoh GR IIIx Leica SL (Typ 601) +4 more
JimKasson
MOD JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 38,731
Re: Fuji claiming “Large Format” for themselves?

Oldwino wrote:

Seems like they are really stretching the meanings of words and phrases here, especially since “real” large format is still a thing…

https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/products/cameras/gfx50s-ii/?utm_source=aperture&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=partnerships&utm_source=Aperture&utm_campaign=06e20a6e25-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2021_12_01_05_56&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_77bf8ead35-06e20a6e25-36127537&mc_cid=06e20a6e25&mc_eid=eaf84fcb69

They’ve been doing that for some time now. Some of us just roll our eyes and move on.

Note that they’re still playing up the small microlenses in the link above.

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Leica Q2 Monochrom Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GFX 100S Nikon Z9 +1 more
Valued Customer Regular Member • Posts: 255

Oldwino wrote:

Seems like they are really stretching the meanings of words and phrases here, especially since “real” large format is still a thing…

https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/products/cameras/gfx50s-ii/?utm_source=aperture&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=partnerships&utm_source=Aperture&utm_campaign=06e20a6e25-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2021_12_01_05_56&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_77bf8ead35-06e20a6e25-36127537&mc_cid=06e20a6e25&mc_eid=eaf84fcb69

So what do you call it?

Should we call APS-C, A Pretty Small c. Do you think there is a large difference between a GFX100 or 100s and a Nikon Z? What is the maximum print size you can imagine printing with the Nikon Z?  Meaning a size where you can walk up to the photograph and be awe struck by the detail? You can print like that with the GFX100 and 100s.

So for "real" large format are you referring to the Polaroid 20x24 instant camera or do you mean larger or do you mean some format size you can handhold?

I for one am fine with the aspirational language from FUJIFILM.  Hope you get a chance to spend some serous time to enjoy one of these larger than full frame (Large Format) cameras.

JimKasson

Valued Customer wrote:

Oldwino wrote:

So what do you call it?

Should we call APS-C, A Pretty Small c. Do you think there is a large difference between a GFX100 or 100s and a Nikon Z? What is the maximum print size you can imagine printing with the Nikon Z? Meaning a size where you can walk up to the photograph and be awe struck by the detail? You can print like that with the GFX100 and 100s.

So for "real" large format are you referring to the Polaroid 20x24 instant camera or do you mean larger or do you mean some format size you can handhold?

I for one am fine with the aspirational language from FUJIFILM. Hope you get a chance to spend some serous time to enjoy one of these larger than full frame (Large Format) cameras.

It’s a strange world, where 33x44 mm is large format, and a P1 IQ4 is medium format.

-- hide signature --
SrMi
SrMi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,223

Valued Customer wrote:

Oldwino wrote:

So what do you call it?

Should we call APS-C, A Pretty Small c. Do you think there is a large difference between a GFX100 or 100s and a Nikon Z? What is the maximum print size you can imagine printing with the Nikon Z? Meaning a size where you can walk up to the photograph and be awe struck by the detail? You can print like that with the GFX100 and 100s.

I for one am fine with the aspirational language from FUJIFILM. Hope you get a chance to spend some serous time to enjoy one of these larger than full frame (Large Format) cameras.

Large-format is typically larger than 9×12 cm, while 6x6 and 6x9 are considered medium format (MF).

I would call GFX and X1D (43.8mmx32.9mm) digital crop-MF and 53.4mmx40mm digital MF.

wuzup Senior Member • Posts: 1,597

my father had a few words for these kind of situations. He'd say, "Look at that. They've got it all backasswords."

JimKasson wrote:

Valued Customer wrote:

Oldwino wrote:

So what do you call it?

It’s a strange world, where 33x44 mm is large format, and a P1 IQ4 is medium format.

Maybe the P1 is not medium format....

JimKasson

SrMi wrote:

Valued Customer wrote:

Oldwino wrote:

So what do you call it?

Large-format is typically larger than 9×12 cm, while 6x6 and 6x9 are considered medium format (MF).

I had a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Speed Graphic for a while. Don’t think I would have  bought it had I known it was medium format.

I would call GFX and X1D (43.8mmx32.9mm) digital crop-MF and 53.4mmx40mm digital MF.

There a guy on FM who calls 33x44 “ mini-MF”. Maybe just to wind people up.

-- hide signature --
SrMi
SrMi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,223

JimKasson wrote:

SrMi wrote:

Valued Customer wrote:

Oldwino wrote:

So what do you call it?

I had a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Speed Graphic for a while. Don’t think I would have bought it had I known it was medium format.

The only reason why you bought GFX is that Fuji said it is a large-format camera. If you knew it was 'only' mini MF, you would have stayed with your FF cameras. But, to be clear: I am kidding!

Given the difference in sensor size between, e.g., X1D 50C and H6D-100C (link), I do not understand why they are called the same format name (MF).

Snap Happy Senior Member • Posts: 1,783
None of this matters (nt)
 Snap Happy's gear list:Snap Happy's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm GFX 100S Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S +21 more
JimKasson
Re: None of this matters (nt)

Snap Happy wrote:

Yeah, but it’s a slow Saturday.

-- hide signature --
Sam in Hawaii Regular Member • Posts: 451

JimKasson wrote:

SrMi wrote:

Valued Customer wrote:

Oldwino wrote:

So what do you call it?

I had a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Speed Graphic for a while. Don’t think I would have bought it had I known it was medium format.

ha! Only 3 ¼ x 4 ¼! 4x5 is the real deal. 😃 Then again, there’s a lot to be said for a camera that doesn’t need two men and a boy to haul around..,

Sam in Hawaii's gear list:Sam in Hawaii's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X100F Olympus TG-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Fujifilm X-E3 +3 more
JimKasson

Sam in Hawaii wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

SrMi wrote:

Valued Customer wrote:

Oldwino wrote:

So what do you call it?

ha! Only 3 ¼ x 4 ¼! 4x5 is the real deal. 😃 Then again, there’s a lot to be said for a camera that doesn’t need two men and a boy to haul around..,

I got rid of that camera in less than a year, but not because the neg was too small. I couldn’t find film and accessories readily. I was doing journalism, and if I’d go into a strange darkroom, they wouldn’t have tanks or negative carriers that fit. I moved up to 4x5, but didn’t see much of a quality improvement.

-- hide signature --
Harold66
Harold66 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,002

valid point .. but after that why not since most people here call 35mm sensor  "full frame" 

-- hide signature --

FOLLOW me on IG @ledaylightstudio.
thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
IG :thedemandingtraveler

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Fujifilm GFX 50S II Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +5 more
Erik Kaffehr
Erik Kaffehr Veteran Member • Posts: 6,830
Yeah, 33x44 mm and still growing

Yeah, 33x44 mm and still growing up.
The GFX 50 may have been adolescent, why the GFX 100 may be a bit mature.

Best regards

Erik

-- hide signature --

Erik Kaffehr
Magic uses to disappear in controlled experiments…
Gallery: http://echophoto.smugmug.com
Articles: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles

Stan Disbrow Veteran Member • Posts: 6,245
Re: Yeah, 33x44 mm and still growing

Hi,

What's Fuji gonna call it when someone else uses the 150 MP Sony sensor which is physically larger? Back to Medium Format I suppose.

Stan

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Once you start down the DSLR path, forever will it dominate your destiny! Consume
your bank account, it will! Like mine, it did!

Stan Disbrow's gear list:Stan Disbrow's gear list
Kodak DCS520 Kodak DCS760 Nikon D1H Pentax 645D Nikon Df +21 more
New to DSC-World Regular Member • Posts: 288
Re: Fuji GFX name and marketing hype

My personal favorite name for the GFX sensor size: Macro four-thirds.

My favorite story about Marketing Hype comes from my poet friend Sarah. Her in-laws were having a party of their 50th anniversary and invited all of their fancy literary pals. The thing to do was to stand up to make an effusive poetic toast before dinner, the more over the top and complicated and allusive the better. This was the one my friend gave as the daughter in law:

There once was a girl named Sarah

Who fell in love with a boy named Tom

Blah blah blah blah

Blah blah blah blah

But she sure liked his dad and his mom.

Best regards

Nathan

New to DSC-World's gear list:New to DSC-World's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Fujifilm GFX 100S Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +2 more
Re: Fuji GFX name and marketing hype

I generally find all this stuff rather funny. Is it marketing or is larger format analog dead for all practical purposes or masochistically alive and well.  Plus has digital come a long long way.

Do you need to make the flashbulbs by hand for that Speed Graphic? Can I run down to my local camera shop and pick up medium format plates or bottles of fixer or a 35mm a roll of  Kodachrome. Where is my local camera shop even? Last camera shop I walked into was depressing as all get up. The shop is located in a seriously high rent area and I just shook my head.

Fuji seems to make the argument that there is no medium format in the digital age so just get over it.  If it is larger then full frame just call it large and be done with it.  Is the argument legitimate , we will see. Fuji survived the Kodak moment or collapse  I prefer to put my money on Fuji.  If you bought a Gfx, maybe that is where you should put your money since you already did.

There are people here who swear up and down up and down up and down that there is no medium format look and here is the scientific proof. People embraced this mystic idea for a medium format look for probably a century. The idea inspired people and brought out greater human creativity.  Just relax and have fun and enjoy this amazing large format digital or medium format digital or masochistic analog medium/large you get to shoot everyday. BTW I can not imagine shooting analog medium or large everyday.

Here is how Fuji explained it almost two years ago with summary quotation created by Fuji rumors.

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-manager-explains-large-format-gfx-sensor-70-larger-than-full-frame-or-as-tony-would-say-70-better-images-than-full-frame/
“The video is titled “Understanding Fujifilm GFX Large Sensor Imaging“. You can find it down below and see also a summary.

• in film era, the most used medium format
  • when 35mm was introduced, it was actually called “miniature” [admin note: and in German we still call it “Kleinbild“, hence “small format“]
  • Pro photographers felt 35mm was inferior to their medium format films
  • everything in between 35mm and the sheet film size was called “medium format”
  • in today’s world we don’t have access to 4×5 and 8×10 digital sensors, this means that anything bigger that 35mm film size is “large”
  • today photographers call the GFX sensor “large format” or “medium format”
  • GFX sensor is 70% larger than full frame sensor
  • you can put a lot more pixel into that sensor
  • pixel can be bigger and better
  • most of the digital medium format cameras are slow, but not the Fujifilm GFX100
  • GFX100 shoots at 5fps (and it has 102 megapixel) and RAW files are around 210 MB. Considering that, 5fps is very quick
  • the manager making the video shows crops of images he took of butterflies, to show how sharp files are and how much you can crop
  • GFX100 has phase detecion AF all over the sensor
  • GFX100 has 14 stops of dynamic range”
Rand 47
Rand 47 Senior Member • Posts: 1,531

JimKasson wrote:

Yes, there certainly is.  And I can never resist calling his Canon gear “miniature” format for the same reason.  And, since he also shoots a Fuji X camera, I call that “sub miniature.”

As to the Fuji Large Format ad-speak, I actually “kind of” get it.  When I look at the prints I make from my GFX 100 and compare them with prints made from 4x5 from the past, there’s an equivalence there in some ways.   I think we’re approaching some kind of convergence where image quality is concerned.  The differences in sensor size is becoming more about the look and rendering inherent to the size, aspect ratio and lens ecosphere,  than it is about resolution, detail rendering and dynamic range.

Ultimately horses for courses, but a lot of photographic equipment systems in the current state of the art are becoming “multi-course” horses.

Rand

wuzup Senior Member • Posts: 1,597
Re: Yeah, 33x44 mm and still growing

"What's Fuji gonna call it when someone else uses the 150 MP Sony sensor which is physically larger? Back to Medium Format I suppose." You know what? This really makes sense!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads